Worldwide Box Office: "Robocop" Opens in Asia and brings in $5.5M

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
The Robocop reboot opened on Chinese New Year with a strong $5.5M in three territories in Asia. It topped the box office in Malaysia, Taiwan, and Singapore, according to Deadline.com.

Studios behind big-budget blockbusters are opening their films in foreign markets ahead of their U.S. release with more regularity nowadays. It’s all to build up buzz heading into their American debut.

The only problem with the solid figures from Jose Padilha's Robocop (Joel Kinnaman, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson) is that it was drowned out by the $54M opening of The Monkey King (Donnie Yen, Chow Yun Fat, and Aaron Kwok).

I’m curious to see how it’ll do in the U.S. To me, the Iron Man films are the rebooted versions of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven hit. The new Robocop suit looks like a black version of the one donned by Robert Downey Jr.

Is there room for another version of Iron Man? With the latest Marvel film doing $1.2B worldwide, sure there is. If Robocop can capture a fifth of that business worldwide, I think Sony would be quite happy.

Budgeted at $120M, a worldwide gross of $240M will be enough for Robocop to break even. The video market will take care of marketing cost and profit. Now, we’ll just have to see if it can get there when it opens next week.

The original film starring Peter Weller cost just $13M and brought in $53M

To me that is not a good sign heading into its opening weekend going against what will probably be one of the bigger movies of the year in the LEGO Movie.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
To me that is not a good sign heading into its opening weekend going against what will probably be one of the bigger movies of the year in the LEGO Movie.
Robocop opens a week later so there's bound to be some drop-off on the Lego movie. My issue with its opening date stems from the fact that its Valentine's weekend and I don't think a lot of dudes are going to be able to convince their ladies to go see Robocop. Last year, A Good Day to Die Hard opened on the Valentine's weekend and pulled in just under $25 million, which I believe was much lower than expected.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Yeah that is probably what is going to happen. Although I did go see the Die Hard movie on Valentine's weekend.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi