• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
07-chris-jericho-vs-will-ospreay_2023_08_27_-aew_all_in_0033.webp

In the midst of a career-defining year, Will Ospreay is returning to Impact Wrestling.

A star from London, Ospreay is leaving his mark all over the world. His 2023 has already included stunning performances at Wrestle Kingdom against Kenny Omega (as well as their brilliant rematch at Forbidden Door), an impressive showing against Chris Jericho at All In, and most recently, a spectacular match against Zack Sabre Jr. at New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s Royal Quest.

Every time Ospreay enters the ring, it is must-see. And he is accomplishing that feat all across the globe. He defeated Naomichi Marufuji last month in Pro Wrestling NOAH, and delivered another outstanding match against Shingo Takagi for RevPro in London. That is only a snippet of his breathtaking work, with the next must-see bout taking place on Saturday night at Impact’s Bound for Glory.

“The last time I was in Impact, I wasn’t the guy I am now,” said Ospreay, who made his Impact debut seven years ago. “I’ve made my name all around the world, and now I’m back to challenge the world’s finest.”

Ospreay wrestles “Speedball” Mike Bailey at Bound for Glory, a collision of two of absolute masters of the craft. In terms of innovation, athleticism, and psychology, these operate in pro wrestling’s most elite pantheon.

“Returning to Impact, this is a chance to test myself,” said Ospreay. “People holler on TV each week that they’re the best in the world, but I’m stretching myself across the world. I’m going everywhere. This year alone, I’ve done the Tokyo Dome for Wrestle Kingdom, which is New Japan’s biggest event. I’ve done All In, which is AEW’s biggest event, and now I’m doing Bound for Glory for Impact Wrestling.

“I want my legacy to be that I tested myself around the world. No one else in wrestling can say that except for one person, and that’s Mike Bailey. That makes me even more excited to face him.”

Ospreay, who is a former IWGP world heavyweight champion in New Japan, is on the cusp of becoming wrestling’s most intriguing free agent. His current deal with New Japan expires in four months, and the bidding war for his services will then begin.

“The deal is up in February, and we’re still in negotiations,” said Ospreay, who turned 30 this past May. “I’m looking to explore every single option and every single avenue. Impact Wrestling is in the running for my next home. I’m willing to test the waters. So this match against Mike Bailey is a real treat for me, and I’m excited to do it, especially with what could happen next year.”

Unlike his prior bouts against Omega and Jericho, the match with Bailey is a chance for both men to experience a breakthrough moment into a higher tier of stardom. Considering Ospreay believes he is wrestling’s best, this match will be a testing ground for him.

“In those matches with Omega and Jericho, I’m climbing after them,” said Ospreay. “This will be different. This is two guys in their prime, both clawing to be the best.

“Line up the world’s greatest wrestlers, whoever people think the GOATs are of the industry, and I’ve beaten them. Facing Kazuchika Okada was one of the hardest tests of my life. Or look at that WWE stratosphere that has come over to AEW, like Jericho. I’ve beat him. I’ve beat the best in Japan. I’ve beat Shingo Takagi. Look to the future, and I’ve beat Yota Tsuji. Or the best wrestler in the past 20 years, Kenny Omega? I’ve beaten him, too.

“That’s how I crown myself the best in the world. I’m currently the IWGP United Kingdom champion, but this is bigger than titles. I hope someone can knock me off my perch as best in the world.”

There is every reason to believe that Ospreay is about to become an industry-defining star. For that matter, so should Bailey. Their match at Bound for Glory, especially important for the industry since it is taking place outside the walls of WWE.

The Ospreay-Bailey matchup is a clash of two emerging stars. The competition is genuine, with both seeking to showcase their extraordinary value inside the ring.

“I am building a legacy,” said Ospreay. “I’m doing that through the company I’m contracted to, and every other match I’m in outside of it, too. I’m here to state my name and show why I’m the best in the world.”

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Scott D'Amore would "absolutely" love to have Will Ospreay in TNA/Impact Wrestling.

Ospreay competed for Impact twice over the weekend, defeating "Speedball" Mike Bailey at Bound for Glory and then facing Josh Alexander at a television taping. After those matches, Ospreay made a post on social media saying that he's "had the best time" competing for Impact.

Ospreay's NJPW contract is scheduled to expire in February 2024. Ospreay is looking to explore every possible option in contract talks, including potentially signing with Impact.

During an interview with Tom Hannifan on Tuesday, D'Amore -- the president of Impact Wrestling -- stated that Ospreay is arguably the best wrestler in the world right now. D'Amore said any pro wrestling company would love to have Ospreay at the center of its universe.

I mean, look, Will Ospreay is arguably the greatest wrestler in the world right now. And I don't think anybody -- I don't know if it's even disputable -- that 2023 Will Ospreay is having one of the greatest years of any wrestler in history. So I think any company that said they didn't want Will Ospreay at the center of their universe would be lying.
Will's kind of been pretty honest and upfront about what's happening and the fact that he's going to be a free agent soon. And the second that his contract expires, he becomes the hottest free agent in professional wrestling. Would we love to have Will Ospreay? Absolutely. Will Ospreay is a great talent. You saw two examples of that this weekend. You saw him and Mike Bailey put on a match of the year candidate. Only the people there have saw it live so far, but you'll see it on an upcoming week of Impact weekly television, Will Ospreay and Josh Alexander went out there and put on an unbelievable match.

D'Amore thinks it's cool that Ospreay wanted to come to Impact Wrestling and dreamed of being in a TNA ring when he was younger. D'Amore said that's an opportunity that's open to Ospreay when TNA Wrestling makes its return. It was revealed at Bound for Glory that the TNA name is coming back starting with the promotion's Hard to Kill pay-per-view in January 2024.

That opportunity is open to Will Ospreay. And I can tell you that I've had conversations with Anthem Sports (Impact Wrestling's parent company) and everything else and let them know. And they're well aware of who Ospreay is and what Will Ospreay is. And, you know, don't know where Will Ospreay is going to end up. But there's certainly a seat at the table here and a meaningful one where he could be at the center of a lot of that advancement and change that we talk about.

Ospreay will be in action again for Impact this Friday (October 27). He's facing Eddie Edwards at Impact's Turning Point special in Newcastle, England. The event will be available to watch on Impact Plus starting on Friday, November 3.

Ospreay is NJPW's current IWGP UK/US Heavyweight Champion. He's wrestled several matches for AEW this year as well.

While speaking with the Metro recently, Ospreay said he'd be open to the idea of signing with WWE and potentially moving to the United States.

"It’s on the table, that’s all I can really say," Ospreay said about possibly relocating to the US. "That means I am open to all options going forward."

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Ospreay in TNA regularly would be fuckin wild but it's definitely never happening

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I think with the way Will positively reacted to TNA’s return and talking about inspiring future TNA kids. I could see a situation where Will doesn’t want to do a long-term deal but he might ask Scott if he could do one year just so he could say for one year he was a TNA wrestler because the kid’s young enough that he can field WWE and AEW offers again next year.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I would agree if he didn't hire Barry Bloom as his agent, i don't put much faith in him signing in 2024. maybe after his big contract though when he is a bit older.