Why is IMPACT rising in popularity?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
So, after the great reviews of Slammiversary XVI, I have been seeing many people talking about how IMPACT is rising in popularity and how many people are either coming back to it or are now becoming fans, which is all great to hear. It did get me wondering though. Why is IMPACT's popularity on the rise, when just a few years ago it was the bass of every wrestling joke? Well, I thought of a few things that have helped them, and I thought I would share them to see if you guys agree with them, and so y'all can add some more.

1) They are willing to let their wrestlers do Indie shows and fans get more engaged with the wrestlers. Now, to me, this is a big one in a sense because let's face it's awesome to be able to go to the local show or watch an Indie show viva Powerbomb or whatever you use and see wrestlers, some of whom may be your personal favorites like Shotzi Blackheart for me, on national TV every week. The best part of this is that they will still keep the story they are telling on National TV alive in Indie shows, and that to me is both impressive and awesome.

2) They have been on fire with their storytelling both in the ring and out of the ring. I mean seriously, the Eddie Edwards storyline between Sami and then Tommy was ducking amazing, Pentagon Jr. and Sami were ducking awesome as well, and LAX vs OGz is good as well. What do all these matches/stories have in common? They told the story they were telling excellently and dam near flawless. Eddie becoming obsessed with Sami after the whole eye thing and Sami playing games on him was great and both men gave a great performance in and out of the ring, and even after Eddie defeated Sami, which was Eddie's transition to a heel, he was still obsessed thus turning him against his close friend, Tommy. Now, Tommy and Eddie's story was great because it was just Tommy's obsession with beating Raven, which if you never saw I would recommend, it all over again, but even though it was repeated it was still interesting, though.

3) They have been more active on several forms of media. In today's world if you aren't active on any social media then you will be left behind in a matter of speaking, and IMPACT has figured that out and has been stepping up their Social Media game. They have their own Twitch channel, which shows BTS sometimes, special events like the Lucha Underground vs IMPACT during Wrestlemania weekend, and a bunch more items that you should check out.

Those are the only three I can think, but I am hoping y'all can add more to my list. As well there are three minor ones that weren't big enough to make their own thing which are they have wrestlers who can actually wrestle and can put on a good match, IMPACT isn't drawn out and the promos/segments build to the story, and the final one is that the women are treated as equal to the men and most of them are good wrestlers and aren't being pushed due to looks.

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
After watching Impact this week for the first time in 3 years, and a great Slammiversary show last night. I can totally see why it's rising in popularity.. They have a great roster and the storytelling seems amazing.. Slammiversary was better than any WWE show this year, easily... Impact had a lot of problems a few years ago, when it comes to paying talent, finding a permanent network, changing what day they're on every few months.. and not to mention, it goes from TNA to Impact to GFW back to Impact... They didn't know what the fuck they're doing, all the talent was leaving to... They seem to be on the right track now, hopefully they keep it up.. I plan on watching going forward.

Reactions: I'll See Ya Kia

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I don't follow it but I hope it continues. I think the only thing that can fix the WWE at this point is some legit (local) competition.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I can name a multi-tude of reasons, but one of the biggest ones is the regime change... The final one. Once Jarrett was gone and Don Callas got in with his team, the product has gone in a better direction. It also helped that Alberto El Patron was out (sorry, just didn't like him) and they replaced him with Pentagon as they are doing something great by teaming with other promotions such as Smash, ROH (The Cruise of Jericho, achors away maaaan!) Even seeming NJPW. The vibe is different and even if I don't watch all the time (maybe in September when I have more time) I still see myself interested in what is going on.

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
I don't follow it.

I think it has a lot to do with everything mentioned above, but in addition to the product being better than a lot of the competition, I think the fact that Impact is working with other companies is a huge thing. So many companies nowadays, big or small, seem to have an us vs the world mentality. Impact is not only willing to partner with some of the biggest promotions in the world, but offers a platform in multiple ways to showcase some of the smaller companies as well. Impact has made huge strides in the field of uniting wrestling fans and companies as opposed to all being at war with each other

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I think it has a lot to do with everything mentioned above, but in addition to the product being better than a lot of the competition, I think the fact that Impact is working with other companies is a huge thing. So many companies nowadays, big or small, seem to have an us vs the world mentality. Impact is not only willing to partner with some of the biggest promotions in the world, but offers a platform in multiple ways to showcase some of the smaller companies as well. Impact has made huge strides in the field of uniting wrestling fans and companies as opposed to all being at war with each other
I agree, man, Impact working with companies like Rise, AAW Pro, Lucha Underground, and a couple others are great for everyone including the Indie promotions. You saying, "Impact has made huge strides in the field of uniting wrestling fans and companies as opposed to all being at war with each other" reminds of what Josh Matthews, I think, said when they did the Lucha Underground event during Wrestlecon which was "This is a historical night as we are bringing fans of both companies under one roof to have a good time because no matter what company you like or prefer at the end of the day whether you are a fan of Impact or Lucha Underground, you are a pro wrestling fan and that is one thing that unites everyone who is a fan of this art and sport."

Also, I will be sure to add this to the list as well.

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
Happy Slammiversary Sabin. TNA has been getting better since the Broken Hardys. For me the best was 2006. 2007-2012 was fun to go to the pay per views

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
e54570a93b537e0c8681bd6278019842.jpg

WholeFN'Moe

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Great thread & great points....

I also think that ALOT of it has to do with the fact that in this moment in time, people are finally WAY! passed the point of let down & hurt by WWE. They're just plain pissed off at them.

I mean it's like fans leave, come back, leave, come back, leave & come back when ever there is any shred of hope that something decent may happen on the show but WWE reel them in on purpose but pretty much spit right in their face...

There is going to be a breaking point eventually when word gets around even to new fans that "Oh that ridiculous wwe stuff... all they do is spit in your face watch Impact instead, it's as loyal to fans as they are to it" because one thing WWE isn't to it's fans... is loyal. Vince LITERALLY treats his MOST loyal fans like pure crap & that's not okay morally or business wise.

VERY important part of business & a very big mistake that could be the downfall of something that seemed impossible to go down. That's how it happens, suddenly with big mistakes that you overlooked. WCW looked pretty rich before they went down just remember, you can't make alot of big mistakes & once you break people's trust you can't gain that back... like a cheating spouse

Last edited:

I'll See Ya Kia

Beautiful Palm Trees.
Reaction score
This sounds like such good news. Hopefully, this may continue for them

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
@Solid Snake in response to your WWE post from yesterday. Impact is absolute quality right now. Before WWE forces you to give up on wrestling completely, if definitely recommend giving them, Lucha Underground, or even possibly MLW a little bit of a test run.

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
Wtf dude, Impact is awesome and all that but their popularity has never been lower. Just look at their venues, there literally ain’t more than 600 people, that’s weekly. And there was a recent pay-per-view ‘Bash at the Brewery’ that literally had about 50 people in the arena. So no, Impact is not at all rising in popularity, but it really is a very quality show to watch.