What would it take for TNA to get on equal footing with the WWE?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

dexterlablab1

Reaction score
Aside from the WWE, there is only one other major brand wrestlers can use as a viable option in the sport. And that's TNA.

However, TNA has a problem. Much like the former WCW, TNA road the wave of older veterans to make itself known. While at first this was ok in the early days to use this as a way to establish themselves, they now face the reality that most of their middle age and young stars can't make a viable mark for themselves or the TNA brand because they lived in the shadows of the older generation too long.

So what would TNA have to do to rise up to the WWE's level?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Honestly, I don't think TNA could "rise" to WWE's level. I think what it would take for them to get close to equal is for WWE to fall down to TNA's level. Neither is very likely at least anytime soon, but yeah, don't even see TNA being close to WWE unless it's WWE's fault.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, it's more a case of WWE failing than TNA succeeding.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
The only thing i can see it if TNA cut all the dead weight they have and if John Cena jumped ship to TNA. BUT C'MON NOW WE ALL KNOW THAT WON'T HAPPEN.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
A lot tbh as it's not easy to compete against a powerhouse that's been around longer than some people are alive. Main thing though would be that WWE would have to start faltering big time like they did during the mid 90's that lead to WCW being able to step in and basically take their spot for a little while. Some horrible shit would have to happen with WWE that would make them lose all their sponsors, a grip of viewers, etc. Basically I don't ever see it happening cause Vince and the people who help run WWE is about a 100 times smarter than the people who run TNA.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I would have believed in like '08 TNA had a chance, they had a pretty decent product going, but Dixie has since fucked over any chance they have of getting even close to WWE's knee.

Aniking

Reaction score
Basically I don't ever see it happening cause Vince and the people who help run WWE is about a 100 times smarter than the people who run TNA.

I would have believed in like '08 TNA had a chance, they had a pretty decent product going, but Dixie has since fucked over any chance they have of getting even close to WWE's knee.

Definitely agree with both these points.

I used to watch TNA back in 2009 before they brought in Hogan & Bischoff and I actually really liked what they were doing. I'd make sure I tuned in because I was getting really into it because they did a lot of things right. Basically, other than hiring ex-WWE stars, they were their own company and had their own image that set themself apart from the WWE, particularly through their 8-sided ring. Then in come a bunch of power hungry big names who have changed all of TNA's unique aspects, thinking they know the keys to pushing TNA to the next level.

Although I don't like a lot of things going on in the WWE with the television product, they don't do a lot wrong elsewhere and tend to make logical decisions. The same is definitely not the case for TNA, who really haven't made a logical decision on anything ever since Hogan & Bischoff took over. Everything they claim is "revolutionary" ends up scraped after a week or falls flat on it's face because it's the dumbest shit we've ever heard. Until they actually overhaul the entire group of individuals who make the decisions and go back to their old ways, they will never be fit to even shine the WWE's figurative shoes.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
1. Get rid of most of the older guys Hogan Jarrett Sting Flair etc maybe keep one or two but not as a steady capacity just a hear and there.
2. Major Network making them live not spike I mean a major network USA TNT ABC NBC CBS CW
3. Good writers.
4. Put them on a night with low competition maybe Tuesday or Sunday
5. Start touring for each show ala WWE

That's just a start.

dexterlablab1

Reaction score
I have to agree with your list.

ESPECIALLY your first reason. Getting rid of the ancient crew. I agree with the other reasons too. But the biggest reason TNA (and even the former WCW) was fairly low grade was because they let the old "legends" just hang around, taking up time from the younger guys, thus never letting the new generations shine and rise the way they themselves had a chance to.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
They will never be on equal footing so it doesn't matter.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The whole 'trying to compete with WWE' pipedream is one of the major reasons they aren't competing with WWE.

Half the time they seem more interested in playing a game of one-ups-manship than actually concentrating on their own show.

WWE hires former MMA fighter? TNA hires current MMA fighter.
WWE runs dark mysterious promo teasing Sting? TNA makes Sting World champ.
WWE brings in popular Jersey Shore gimmick wrestler? TNA hire half the Jersey Shore cast.

It's such a panic move. When WCW was dying on its ass, all they did was make fun of the WWE, vice versa in '95 when all the big stars went to WCW.

Get rid of the stink of desperation and they might have a shot.

Reactions: 1 person

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I agree with that. TNA should focus not on trying to be a better WWE or recapturing the past, but instead looking at what makes them unique and be honest with themselves about what the fans want to see.

Unfortunately anyone with any power or influence in that company is living in the past. TNA would need to rid itself of the cancer that is Hulk Hogan before any steps forward can be taken, but this may never happen and that is why the company is doomed; Its inability to put its foot down.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I completely agree that TNA shouldn't be aiming to be on equal footing with WWE. There is a very, very slim chance that it could happen and TNA should be more worried about making their company profitable. They are too WWE centric, they focus too much on the competition and then they make the cardinal sin of mentioning the competition on television. TNA should ban any mention of WWE on the program and all the wrestlers and other staff should be more interested in promoting TNA than discussing WWE.

For TNA to push further ahead and become more profitable they need to cut some expensive older wrestlers that don't add to the product. Dixie needs to hire someone to be her right hand man, find someone who is honest and who won't try to screw her over like Hogan and Bischoff are doing. Going live on thursdays is a fantastic move and should help the company but they should have done it two years ago rather than going live on Monday nights. They also need to do more house shows around the country to bring their show to more fans.