What Movie failed to live up to hype?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Fuji's right, Avatar sucked balls. Take away the 3D and it has nothing original going for it.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Critically or commercially? I realize not a lot of people liked it (for what its worth I thought it was fine) but it did eventually break even after video sales were accounted.

To be fair, it was never going to live up to the hype that the fanboys were heaping on it...even before any of them had seen it! I really didn't like it at all, especially the glaring continuity errors or the fact that it never really wanted to end. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but definitely the worst of Nolan's Batman films.
I was still quite a big fan of the film but I thought Bane was nowhere near as good of a villain as the Joker was.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
I will say the Final Fantasy Movie never lived up to its hype. I'm not talking about Advent Children because it was amazing with the lack of marketing behind the project. I feel if Advent Children had been marketed main stream like spirits within, then it would have done well in the box office.

The Super Mario Bros movie was another one that failed to meet expectations. Man that movie was just horrible.

Orobin Thor

Reaction score
Your childish response with the image aside, you do realize James Cameron came out and said the following (also referencing other films that "inspired" Avatar)....

http://io9.com/5338570/james-cameron-admits-avatar-is-dances-with-wolves-in-space

And as for the Pocahontas references, there's a very well known image that points those very things out right here...

http://arteffact.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/similarities-between-avatar-and-pocahontas/

But all of that actual information aside, the bottom line is that Avatar fucking sucked. Sure it made a lot of money, but to suggest it was a better film than District 9 (another movie that bears STRINKING similarities to Avatar), Inglorious Basterds, Precious, Up in the Air, Up or Crazy Heart just shows how absurd your argument is.

Number 1: My response was not childish. The picture was a joke after my rebuttal.

Second: My argument is not absurd. It is a legitimate argument from an independent and intelligent individual. Calling my argument absurd is tantamont to calling me absurd of which I take serious offense too.

Thirdly, Note the difference in terms used. You say ripoff, Cameron says 'inspired by'. It means the afore mentioned movies stated by you, were seen as inspiring to create something like this. That does not mean they are ripoffs.

Fourthly:, I respect the fact in your opinion that you feel Avatar sucked. I, however, thought it was a fantastic movie, one I thoroughly enjoyed. Does my opinion not count?

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
I think Avatar was just alright. Not great, not bad. Great visuals. Just extremely derivative, and the characters are kinda flat (with the exception of Stephen Lang as the bad guy).

I'm still intrigued by the sequels, and will be seeing them in theaters (assuming the second one doesn't suck).

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Avatar is the poster movie for HEY LETS MAKE THIS SAME OLD CLICHE STORYLINE AND MAKE IT ALL SHINY, blah just a rubbish movie

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
That's cool that's why we all have different opinions

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
NCalling my argument absurd is tantamont to calling me absurd of which I take serious offense too.
Let's chill out for a moment here, I said your argument was absurd, not you personally. You can stand by your beliefs all you want, but to say a movie like Avatar was better than the movies I listed still comes across as absurd to me. How can you possibly justify saying it was better than those movies?

Thirdly, Note the difference in terms used. You say ripoff, Cameron says 'inspired by'. It means the afore mentioned movies stated by you, were seen as inspiring to create something like this. That does not mean they are ripoffs.
Hence why I put "inspired" in quotations. One man's inspired is another man's ripped off, its just a matter of semantics at that point.

Fourthly:, I respect the fact in your opinion that you feel Avatar sucked. I, however, thought it was a fantastic movie, one I thoroughly enjoyed. Does my opinion not count?
Right, so in that case you can say it was your favourite like I can say it sucked. However, arguing it was the "best" disregards the opinions of many others who didn't think the same. Loving a movie that others don't makes perfect sense to me, I love Big Trouble in Little China more than pretty much everyone else. That being said, I would never deign to say it was the best movie released in 1986...just the one I enjoyed the most.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
In terms of box office expectations, pretty much all of the non-POTC Jerry Bruckheimer / Walt Disney productions in the last few years:

-Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Disney originally planned to make a trilogy, but due to the comme-ci, comme ça box office returns and mediocre critical reception, plans were scrapped.

-The Sorcerer's Apprentice: Got even worse critical reception and made less money than PoP.

-Lone Ranger