Week in Review (6/24/12) - (6/30/12)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
orangereview.png

roh%20HOSTAGE%20CRISIS-web.jpg

ROH Best in the World (6/24/12)

Chris's Thoughts: We open the show with the Briscoes vs Truth Martini's Guardians of Truth. Decent match, good one to open with, plus if the stupid dirt sheets wouldn't have spoiled it, the mystery behind who the Guardians were would have been cool. Ending was real weird though, and I think it had to be changed on the spot because the ropes were way too loose, Mark couldn't even hit a Doomsday Device off of them, so they had Jay roll the guy up. In the second match, Homicide defeated Eddie Edwards in a pretty good match, but definitely not the results I was expecting. I would have bet a lot of money Eddie would have beat Homicide, so that was a nice surprise. I wonder if that means Homicide is going to be making more appearances with ROH now though. And now we get to the Hybrid Fighting Rules match between Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly. About five minutes in, Adam Cole gets his teeth knocked out and he's just pouring blood, it was so crazy. He blew out at one point and I promise you, blood went all the way across the ring. One of the craziest things I have ever seen in wrestling, plus him winning after all that happened in the match was so awesome. If Cole wasn't over before, he definitely is after that showing. That is a match you have to see. Next up we have Michael Elgin vs Fit Finlay. This match wasn't as good as I expected to be, but I won't call it bad. Elgin hardly had any offense in though and Finlay just worked him over with some rest holds for almost 15 minutes of the 20 minute match. There was even some "BORING" chants, which I think was a little too far, but still wasn't the match I expected. Ending moments were pretty cool though, but the crowd just wasn't hot anymore and they kinda' ruined it with their silence. Still a match worth seeing I think, just because it's Finlay and Elgin.

After intermission, we get our live Prodigy Service Announcement from Mike Bennett, Maria, and Brutal Bob. Real good promo here by Bennett, got some major heat, even though some of it was cheap. Mike Mondo then came out, which I'm happy about since I like the guy, but apparently he's face now all of a sudden after getting some cheap New York pops through cursing and saying that he loved New York. The match that ensued was decent and short, and I love Mondo getting the shocking win, but the booking for that whole segment and match seemed kinda' thrown together and weird. Up next we get our three way for the TV title between Ciampa, Lethal, and Strong. This was another phenomenal match, with Lethal locking in a crazy submission at one point where he had Roddy in a Figure 4 and then got Ciampa in a Crossface at the same time. The storyline was also furthered in this one with Nana "inadvertently" costing Ciampa the match again. Good stuff both match and storyline-wise.

Now we get Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team defending their titles against ANX. This was the longest match of the night (I believe), and definitely one of the best. All 4 men looked great, and WGTT did a great job of isolating Titus towards the end once he got hurt, and we didn't even get a hot tag either, which was cool because those are so predictable. Rhett rolling up Haas like he did for the win definitely wasn't predictable. Great ending and I'm so glad ANX finally have the belts, they deserve this more than anyone. Finally we're at our main event tonight, Steen defending his ROH World Championship against Davey Richards, Anything Goes. Corino is on commentary here and the whole night, he was killing it. Him and Nigel should be the commentary team, screw Kevin Kelly. This match was so crazy, not even 10 seconds into it, Steen's already went through a table. After 3 broken tables, a ring announcer, two referees, and Jim Cornette being taken out, Steen finally won after using Jimmy Jacobs's spike to which Corino responded "With the clean victory!" Afterwards, Steen cut an awesome heel promo, but he could not for the life of him get any heat. He even went with the classic "FUCK NEW YORK" line and the crowd responded with "YES! YES! YES!" Hilarious stuff. Definitely a must-see show.

Match of the Night: Davey Richards vs Kevin Steen

Segment of the Night: Kevin Steen's post match promo

Overall Rating: 8.8/10

WWE-RAW-LOGO.png

WWE Raw (6/25/12)

Chris's Thought: We open the show with an awesome, short backstage segment with AJ. This girl is just amazing. Vickie is out first and gets a decent amount of heat as she announces the triple threat elimination match which is up next between Kane, Daniel Bryan, and CM Punk. This was easily the highlight of the show here. Another great match between the three with Bryan getting the much needed and deserved win. AJ came out and got involved once more, this feud is the best thing WWE's done all year. Big Show vs Brodus Clay is next and this was short and not very sweet at all. Horrible match, even for how short it is, but it does seem like they wrote out Clay for a while. A pity we couldn't have had a Too Cool/Brodus dance segment on the 1000th episode first though. We got footage from the Heyman/Triple H thing last week, good stuff even if we've already seen it. No appearances from them tonight. In one of the more hilarious segments I've seen in a little bit, Kane tells AJ she's too crazy for him :lmao. I think that was their way of writing Kane out of the feud and making it just about Punk and Bryan since it was revealed Kane would be part of the WWE Championship MITB match. In the biggest waste of time in recent memory, Santino defeated Swagger to retain his US title. Crowd was completely dead here, just a waste of time. They could not make that title mean any less. John Cena came out next for his big announcement. After some terrible Star Wars promo (and I'm a Cena fan), Jericho came out to save us. Now, people are calling that Cena promo the worst ever, that's bullshit, it's not even the worst Cena's ever done. It was corny and didn't connect like he hoped, bad, but not the worst ever, come on. Jericho was absolutely gold here, and then Vickie came out and them two made this a fairly good segment. It was announced that Kane, Big Show, John Cena, and Chris Jericho would be four of the participants in the MITB match, I marked hard as soon as she said Kane's name because I knew that meant Bryan vs Punk II, and it did. Pretty good segment after Cena's part. Up next, is a match featuring a legend that hasn't been on Raw in 15 years. Heath Slater came out and did his usual awesome bit, I was looking forward to Heath Slater on Raw for once. His opponent is none other than Sycho Sid (who I correctly called in the discussion thread before anyone else). Match was nothing special, but it was nice to see Sid, even though I was never a fan. I marked a lot harder for Vader.
Up next we have Contract on a Pole Match :RUSSO: Ziggler and Del Rio actually made this a very entertaining match, especially since it was pretty short. It got weird once the contract fell off, but still managed to be entertaining despite confusing. Ricardo sold an awesome dropkick here too. Sheamus then interrupted saying it was a tie or something and it would be a "Shriple Shreat" match on Smackdown. Looking forward to that for sure. Up next we get a bikini battle royal! Other than Vickie and Tamina, all the divas were looking awesome here, especially AJ who "Yes'd" after she won in a bikini, which was hot as hell. Up next, our main event between Jericho and Cena. This one had like no time, so I didn't expect much. Nothing really happened before Big Show came out and attacked Cena. We ended the show with Big Show locking Cena in the Colossal Clutch, decent ending I guess.

Match of the Night: CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan vs Kane (2nd Raw MOTN for all three men)

Segment of the Night: It was short, but AJ in the opener was a tad bit better than the Cena/Jericho/Vicki segment, so I'm giving it to her.

Overall Rating: 6.0/10

WWE_NXT.png

WWE NXT (6/27/12)

Chris's Thoughts: JR is joined by Byron Saxton on commentary this week for some reason, but I don't mind. He's no Regal, but he's not half bad either. First match tonight is Jiro vs Tyle...Seth Rollins. First of MANY squashes tonight. Decent one though, and I liked the finish Rollins used. Decent promo he cut afterwards, especially since he was never a promo guy. Jinder Mahal beat Jason Jordan in another squash after this, once again, decent looking squash. Mahal's improved quite a bit since he debuted on Smackdown last year, still isn't so good, but he's improved more than I thought he would. NXT is a good place for him. Leo Kruger beat Aiden English in our third squash, Kruger looked good, I'm liking what I've seen of him so far. Loved the Rear Naked Choke Finish as well. So many squashes already though, this is getting ridiculous. The Usos vs Ascension was our first match that was a little competitive tonight. Ascension looked pretty good once again, I'm liking them more each week so far, still not a fan of the dark gimmick, but they haven't made me dislike them yet, my opinion is steadily improving. This match also wasn't taped at the same time as the others on the show obviously and they stuck it in from a later taping it seems because Regal and Chris Russo were commentating with JR for this one, but Byron was back afterwards. Richie Steamboat beat Rick Victor in ANOTHER squash, this one lasting a bit longer. Steamboat looked good, too many Arm Drags though, I get they were plugging him as Ricky's son, but I don't even think Ricky did THAT many Arm Drags in such little time. They looked good though. We get another EPIC Bray Wyatt promo :mark:. Antonio Cesaro squashed Dante Dash next, I've lost count on the squashes tonight. In our five minute main event, Derrick Bateman beat Johnny Curtis. For them to have been given such a short amount of time, they definitely made the most of it, haven't seen a match that short, that good in a while. Good job to those guys, fuck the bookers for making every match 3-5 minutes on this show. I understand you're still introducing guys, but that was ridiculous. Still a fun show to watch however. Next week, we get the debut of Kassius Ohno and some divas action!

Match of the Night: Derrick Bateman vs Johnny Curtis

Segment of the Night: Bray Wyatt Vignette (2nd NXT SOTN in a row)

Overall Ratings: 5.3/10

WWESuperstarsNew.jpg

WWE Superstars (6/28/12)

Chris's Thoughts: Superstars this week starts out with a singles match between Kofi Kingston and Michael "don't call me Hennig" McGillicutty. Great match to open the show. McGillicutty really showed how good he was in this one, he was on offense the majority of it until the ending moments, which were especially great because for a split second, I thought McGillicutty might actually win because he reversed most of Kofi's big moves which normally doesn't happen on Superstars. Great stuff here. Next we get our "big" tag team feud continuing with Darren Young vs Epico. Decent enough match here, but I gotta' say, whoever thought to have AW mic'd up during this one is a genius. He made this match with his hilarious comments throughout it. Solid show so far. Up next is The Usos vs Hunico and Camacho. Didn't really care too much for this match and I thought Hunico and Camacho should have won, especially since Hunico has got quite a few victories in that past few weeks on Supertars, and I'm just not a big fan of the Usos. Worst match of the night, but still not a bad one, so that's good. Finally we get our main event. Heath Slater vs Kane! One of the biggest stars in WWE today taking on...The Big Red Machine! Slater cut an awesome promo before the match, man I love this guy. The match was just a glorified squash with Kane killing Slater in 5 minutes, but Slater actually looked pretty good here. He even took Kane off his feet with a Missile Dropkick at one point. For what it was, that was a good match. One of the best episodes of Superstars I've seen in a while

Match of the Night: Kofi Kingston vs Michael McGillicutty

Segment of the Night: Heath Slater's pre-match promo

Overall Rating: 6.9/10

800px-Impact_Wrestling.png

Impact Wrestling (6/28/12)

Chris's Thoughts: First off we start the show with the BFG Series. It's Anderson vs RVD, two guys I couldn't care less about. This watch was so boring and sloppy, felt like I was watching the whole thing in slow motion. Both of these guys just need to go away, seriously. After this we get an awesome in-ring segment with Bobby Roode and Austin Aries. You couldn't ask for more here, a great segment from two of the best in TNA. Good stuff. After this we get the surprise return of Sonjay Dutt. He's facing "Rubrix." Known to everyone but TNA apparently as Jigsaw. Dutt won a great match with such a sick finish, and he's now in the tournament for the X Division title at Destination X. I approve. Samoa Joe vs Bully Ray is next and this one was better than I expected and I had high expectations. Great match with more time than I thought it would be given. Only downside is the Park interference that cost Bully the win, but he hardly got involved, so that really didn't take much away. And how 'bout my boy Joe in second place in the BFG Series? Up next, another X Division Tournament qualifier between Rashad Cameron (Sabian) and Mason Andrews (Scorpio Sky). Another great match, this time between two relatively unknowns. Andrews definitely looked to be the better worker, but I'll see what they do with Cameron once Destination X rolls around.

Up next is the Gut Check segment where we get to hear Brother Love, Al Snow, and Taz tell us all the things wrong with Taeler Hendrix. That surprisingly wasn't the case here tonight. Taz even gave her a yes right off the bat (but Joey wasn't good enough). Before Snow could give his decision, things really got good. Joey Ryan came out to the front row with a sign saying "87% can't be wrong." Taz went nuts and had security take him out. Freakin' awesome. Anyway, Snow then gave Taeler a "no" saying she wasn't ready. Love gave her a yes after she cut a pretty good promo. I like Taeler, I'm fine with her giving in, for her age, she's real good and she'll only improve. I hope they don't try something stupid like pushing her straight to the top of the division though, she definitely does need some time for improving. Her promo was real good though, she definitely has charisma, and man she's got a rockin' body. Okay, now we get to the main event. Real good match here between AJ & Angle and Kaz & Daniels. Told a nice story, some nice spots, everything clicked. Ending was too swervy with Kaz turning face then right back to heel and I don't like AJ and Styles only being champs for two weeks. This is where it gets good. After the match, Daniels reveals that Claire (druggie girl) was telling the truth last week, but she didn't tell the whole truth. Claire is pregnant and the father is...AJ STYLES! :lmao this is the most unintentionally hilarious feud I've ever seen. Overall, damn good Impact with some great in-ring action minus the opener, some shitty backstage segments and the swerve upon swerve upon swerve at the end.

Match of the Night: Bully Ray vs Samoa Joe

Segment of the Night: Austin Aries (3rd Impact SOTN in a row) & Bobby Roode

Overall Rating: 6.5/10

SmackDownWWElogo.png

WWE Smackdown (6/29/12)

Chris's Thoughts: We open the show with AJ in a match against Layla. Decent Divas match here, AJ looked great in the ring, much better than Layla. Bryan interrupted the match and caused AJ to lose, but she snapped and attacked Layla afterwards. Good stuff. After this, Bryan and AJ had a segment with Vickie with some great mic work from the three, Bryan has really become one of the best promo guys WWE has. AJ was announced as the Special Ref for Bryan/Punk at MITB. Bryan was pissed. I smell a swerve. Damien Sandow beat Zack Ryder to qualify for the WHC MITB match next. Very solid fast-paced short match here. I think it's a little early to put Sandow in the match, but he's good, I'm not going to complain about that one at all. So far a good show. Up next, Jack Swagger vs Tyson Kidd. Easy win for Swagger to get in the MITB match right? Wrong! Kidd got the CLEAN win over Swagger here and I could not be more happy. There are few better than Tyson Kidd in the ring that WWE has. No one deserves this spot more than Kidd, especially after his last couple PPV performances. Christian & Santino beat Cody Rhodes and David Otunga in the next match to qualify for the MITB match. Man, this was a pretty good match when it was Cody and Christian, not so good when it was the other two, but I even as much as I hate Otunga, the wrong two people definitely won. Cody has got to find a way to get into this match. This is his damn match.

Ryback beat two jobbers again, this match was the same one we've been watching for months, but the crowd does seem to be getting behind Ryback more. They were chanting "Feed me more" with him after the match. Could have been edited in, but I did actually see some people in the crowd saying it as well. Teddy Long was revealed to be the GM of both shows next week and he booked a tag match that the Great Khali will be involved in on Smackdown next week not five second after he announced that...long week ahead. For some reason that I haven't figured out yet, Tensai came out with Sakamota. Apparently him attacking him 3 weeks ago didn't happen. And then he for some reason beat Justin Gabriel to qualify for the MITB match. Nothing there makes sense at all. Finally we get to our main event, which was a gem. Del Rio, Sheamus and then mainly Ziggler all looked great. Ziggler got his head Brogue Kicked off and was pinned by Sheamus for the 5th time in the month of June to end the show. Decent Smackdown tonight, better than last week's.

Match of the Night: Alberto Del Rio (2nd MOTN) vs Dolph Ziggler vs Sheamus

Segment of the Night: AJ, Daniel Bryan, & Vickie Guerrero Segment

Overall Rating: 6.8/10

ROH-Logo.jpg

Ring of Honor Wrestling (6/23/12)

Chris's Thoughts: This is a Road Rage episode tonight, and for those of you that don't regularly watch ROH, that's where they show matches from recent live events between sets of TV Tapings. The matches we'll see tonight took place a few weeks ago in Charleston, West Virginia. The first match is Mike Mondo vs Davey Richards. Great match to open the show, Mondo looked better than ever, he's really been impressing me as of late. The ending was really cool, where Mondo was locked in the Ankle Lock, but time ran out before he tapped. Despite the crowd and Davey wanting five more minutes, Mondo chose to just take the draw. Real good opening. Next we get some footage, but probably only half of the Proving Ground match with Adam Cole vs BJ Whitmer vs Kyle O'Reilly vs Roderick Strong. What we got to see looked real good, and I loved Cole getting the win here to get a future TV Title shot. I love that they're pushing him, he definitely deserves this, even more so after his performances at Best in the World. Next we got what has become the usual Road Rage segment of Jim Cornette thanking and introducing the guys that brought ROH to whatever town we're in. Never a very good segment, always seems like a waste of time, but doesn't really take away from the show. Finally, we get to our main event which is a Texas Death Match between Jay Briscoe and Charlie Haas. They're doing the classic Texas Death Match rules here, which I truly hate. A one-fall to a finish Anything Goes match would have been better. Very nice brawl here though, not as much brutality as I expected however. Early on we got a few ridiculously quick falls because I guess they were trying to get the stupid Death Match rules over, weren't unnecessary at all. Briscoe had some nice spots at the end, and Haas was a great heel throughout the entire match. Very fun to watch, but I was left a little disappointed.

Match of the Night: Davey Richards (2nd ROH MOTN in a row) vs Mike Mondo

Segment of the Night: N/A

Overall Rating: 7.5/10

The Week's Best

Match of the Week: Davey Richards vs Kevin Steen

Segment of the Week: Kevin Steen's post-match BitW promo

Top Shows of the Week: 1. Ring of Honor Wrestling (2) 2. WWE Superstars (3) 3. WWE Smackdown (6) 4. Impact Wrestling (5) 5. WWE Raw (4) 6. WWE NXT (1)

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Overrating TNA but whatever.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
In hindsight, I probably did, but I wrote and rated that right after I saw the show, like I did with all the others. It was definitely better than the last few weeks and the in-ring action, other than the opener was great.

Pete

Reaction score
The WWE's love affair with the Worst Finisher Ever is getting ridiculous. The way they glorify that thing, you'd think they have a foot fetish...

#PushZiggler

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I don't have a problem with the finish, and you wouldn't either if someone other than Sheamus did it. What I have a problem with is who keeps taking the finish. Ziggler lost to the Brogue Kick 4 times in the month of June. That's ridiculous.

Pete

Reaction score
I have a problem with who takes it, and ESPECIALLY with what it is!

:santino: IT'S A FUCKING BIG BOOT!!!!!!!!! :Vickie:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Not any worse than Ziggler's finish, and this is coming from Ziggler's biggest fan.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I have a problem with who takes it, and ESPECIALLY with what it is!

:santino: IT'S A FUCKING BIG BOOT!!!!!!!!! :Vickie:

Do you also hate the lariat? I don't know if I can take your opinion seriously anymore if you don't like a good lariat.