• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

UFC on Fox 12: Lawler vs Brown predictions

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
UFC on Fox Saturday takes place live from the HP Pavillion now renamed the SAP Center and we certainly have a main event set to blow the roof off. In what could possibly be fight of the year Number 1 Welterweight Robbie Lawler fresh off his destruction of Jake Ellenberger will collide easily the most dominant fighter on a 7 fight win streak against Matt Brown who's coming off of an amazing fight with Erick Silva. Anthony Johnson looks to cement his status as a top contender in the UFC's Light Heavyweight division as he goes up against the always dangerous Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, longtime UFC standout Clay Guida looks to build upon his fight of the night performance against Tatsuya Kawajiri as he goes up against the Featherweight Division's fastest rising star; Dennis Bermudez, and Josh Thomson looks to wash the close Benson Henderson decision from the last time we saw him in the octagon at the expense of the impressive Bobby Green. Ladies and gentlemen, this is your UFC on Fox 12 predicition thread.

UFC_on_FOX_12_event_poster_zpse70350e2.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm Alex Cochrane bringing you your official UFC on Fox 12 prediction thread. Since February 2012, Matt Brown has been on an absolute streak of terror putting together 7 wins in a row with 6 of those being by way of knockout. Much more to his credit, he put on perhaps one of the most impressive fights in recent memory against Erick Silva this May in the main event, and has finished 6 of those fights by way of knockout. In the midst of his impressive showing; Robbie Lawler emerged back into the UFC from Strikeforce and defeated the likes of Josh Koscheck, Bobby Voleker, and Rory MacDonald before unsuccessfully competing for the vacant UFC Welterweight Championship. But instead of hanging his head in shame, Lawler got right back on track and dominated Jake Ellenberger back at UFC 173 this May. Tonight they both go head to head in a fight that promises to a well worthy fight of the year candidate. The co main event features Anthony Johnson who re entered the UFC after going undefeated in his previous 6 bouts and absolutely dismantled top contender Phil Davis at UFC 172 taking another step closer to a UFC Light Heavyweight title bout as he goes up against Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Also on the card Clay Guida and Dennis Bermudez look to bring the heat in what promises to be an all out Featherweight war, and Josh Thomsom looks to get back on track to a UFC Lightweight title shot against Bobby Green. It certainly is spelling out to be one of the biggest cards of the year and it's live and free on Fox! Let's take a look to see how things will turn out come Saturday night.

Welterweight (170 lbs) Bout: Robbie Lawler vs Matt Brown
A shot at Johny Hendricks' UFC Welterweight Championship looms in the balance as Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown square off in a potential fight of the year candidate, and certainly it's not going to be an easy one to call. Matt Brown is riding a 7 fight win streak which is something that's nearly impossible considering the talent pool depth of the UFC's 170 pound division and Lawler has beat the odds against the upper echelon of the division. Overall to call this one we have to take a look at the stand up techniques seeing as both men will more than likely be looking to keep this one on the feet, Matt Brown is a relentless attacker who has one direction he likes to attack from - forward. His use of elbow, punches, and knees lead him to outstrike Erik Silva 161-39 with 118 significant strikes. But that won't be as easy to do against Lawler, who in my oppinion will have the advantage in experience and hand speed. Lawler will have to use his footwork and combinations to stiffle Brown who will consistantly come forward, but as much as the potential says so - I don't think he'll finish Brown who has never been knocked out in MMA competition. I hate to see Matt Brown's win streak come to an end, but unfortunately, I think it's this night in which it will do so.

Winner: Robbie Lawler by Unanimous Decision

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs) Bout: Anthony Johnson vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Anthony Johnson will be out to get some revenge for his Blackzilian team mate Rashad Evans when he meets Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in the SAP center Saturday Night. After all, it was Evans who Nogueira defeated the last time we saw him in the octagon in February 2013, and that must certainly sit in the mind of Rumble. This will definitely be a closely contested fight in which I believe boxing will play a really big part in - which the advantage goes to Nogueira. Rogerio is much lighter than flat footed Anthony Johnson and will be able to slip in and out a lot easier of the pocket along with getting out of the pocket before Johnson can throw with that big power. Another factor in this match I believe will be Johnson's rather poor cardio which may land him some success in the first round but may hinder him in the later rounds.

Winner: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira by Split Decision

Featherweight (145 lbs) Bout: Clay Guida vs Dennis Bermudez

Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown aren't the only two fighters that have a potential to put on a barn burner; as both Clay Guida and Dennis Bermudez are well known for putting on absolute wars. Bermudez is currently in a three way tie for most wins at Featherweight alongside Cud Swanson and champion Jose Aldo, and Guida is a 19 fight veteran coming off of a fight of the night performance over Tatsuya Kawajiri. This one has slugfest written all over it as Guida's well known aggressive style combined with Dennis Bermudez's well known slugfest with Matt Grice has the ability to prove to be a show stealing performance in which I believe Guida's well versed combination of wrestling and ground game will help him pick up the unanimous decision.

Winner: Clay Guida by Unanimous Decision

Lightweight (155 lbs) Bout: Josh Thomson vs Bobby Green

Had it not been due to nagging injures from champion Anthony Pettis, Josh "The Punk" Thomson would be fighting for a chance to become UFC Lightweight champion. But after injury forced Pettis out of their scheduled bout for UFC on Fox 9 last December, Thomson took a fight against former champion Benson Henderson and lost a rather razor thin split decision. Meanwhile, Bobby "King" Green had been building quite the list of wins himself; finshing Jacob Volkman and James Krause and dominating Pat Healy at the same event Thomson was scheduled for a title shot. However, I believe that Green will be stepping over his head in this one and may be finished in the second round due to Thomson's flawless striking.

Winner: Josh Thomson by TKO in Rd. 2

Well, who do you think will walk away the victors on Saturday punks? Sound off here.