Time to Tap: August 11th 2011 Review of Superstars!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Pre-Show: So this is a request from Andrew to do the Superstars review. Honestly I am looking forward to the show because it features the action of mid carders which I love. And also Evan Bourne is in the Main Event against the Tag Champions, so yeah, I think it's going to be a good show. Lets see.

Ted DiBiase vs. Trent Barreta

Pre-Match: I look forward to this. I've always been a fan of Trent, and its a shame hes not used more often on Smackdown.

Match: I will start off saying I expect a lot from this match. Starts off with Ted in control. Trent comes back and goes for a top rope splash, but Ted turns it into a drop kick that nails Trent. Trent takes over a little, and does a nice reversal sunset flip pin for a 2 count. Again Ted takes control and pulls off a very nice stalling suplex. Ted goes for Dream Street, but Trent counters out. Ted gets knock to the outside, and Trent does a flip over the top rope to hit Ted. Back in the ring for a 2 count. Trent tries for a spring board off the ropes, and takes a nasty botch. Could have easily hurt him. Striker does a good job of covering it up, and Ted covers like a pro. Trent tries for a moon sault, but Ted knocks him off the ropes for Dream Street and a 3 Count.

Winner: Ted Dibiase

Conclusion: Well, the match was a good enough TV match, but that botch at the end kinda lowered it some. Trent needs some help in his high risk moves, as some looked very sloppy. Ted also bored me kind of as well. Not buying in to him.

2/5

Tamina vs. Alica Fox

Pre-Match: Glad these two are on Superstars, and not wrestling on Smackdown or Raw as I have never been a fan of either.

Match: Typical Divas match. Tamina has most control with like a 2-3 minute freaking headlock. Alica hits her finisher and wins.

Winner: Alica Fox

Conclusion: Best part was the commentating.

1/5

Brodus Clay vs. Aaron James (AJ From Stone Cold Tough Enough)

Pre-Match: So, I didn't even know Brodus still had a job, but I do like seeing AJ getting a squash match as I was a fan of him on Tough Enough. I'm glad to see him getting a chance. I haven't even seen Andy or anyone else in a match, but AJ is, so I say congrats to him.

Match: Your basic squash match. We've all seen it before. I don't AJ got a single hit.

Winner: Brodus Clay

Conclusion: It was a dud. Poor AJ...has way more talent then Brodus in my opinion, but just because Clay is bigger, he gets the push. BULL SHIT.

1/5 (just because AJ got his ass handed, and took it like a man.)

Evan Bourne and Santino Marella vs. David Otunga and Mike McGullicutty

Pre-Match: So...Bourne and Santino get the jobber entrance. Another bullshit move on Superstars...oh, and I like Otunga and McGullicuttys new theme. Haha, Bourne and Santino do Rock Paper Scissors to decide who starts. Santino wins.

Match: Otunga starts off in Control. Scott Standford wants to call Santino and Bourne the Intergalactical Stallions. I like it. Santino takes control, and tags in Bourne. Another tag in to Santino puts The Stallions back in control. Another tag in to Bourne. Mike comes in and starts to take control over Bourne. Bourne tries to come back by countering a tag team move, but Otunga distracts the ref as McGullicutty chokes Bourne.

We go to an ad, and come back with Santino tagged in now. Both work on Santino. (Side note: Moment of the match comes when Bourne tries to distract the Ref by telling him his shoe is untied. "Come on ref, your shoes untied." Classic moment) Santino hits a Stunner for a comeback and tags in Bourne! Bourne comes back in and move after beautiful move tries to save this dying match. He tries for a two but it's broken up by Otunga. Bourne does a nice top rope jump to the outside to hit both Mike and David. Bourne counters Mikes neck breaker, and hits a nice knee to the face. He tags in Santino, and Santino hits the Cobra on Otunga, but turns around and his hit by the Spinning Neck Breaker by Mike McGullicutty for the 3 count.

Winners: Mike McGullicutty and David Otunga.

Conclusion: So, the match started off hot, had a slow middle, but picked up at the end. Otunga and McGullicutty still bore be, and Santino and Bourne made a good pairing. Bourne was the star of the match.

2.5/5

Stars of the Night
1. Evan Bourne
2. Ted DiBiase
3. Mike McGullicutty

Worst of the Night:
1. David Otunga
2. Brodus Clay
3. Trent Barreta (The Botch cost him, he needs to work on his high risk moves)

Over All: The show featured only two real matches. The Main Event was good enough for a Superstars main event, and the opening was the same. Had a good opening, terrible middle, and a good closing, so that leaves it with a...

5/10

Thanks for reading Time to Tap! Next edition will be Next weeks NXT.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Another great review Tapout. I agree that Superstars is normally quite good to watch since it features mostly wrestling and no other crap. I really like how you give a top three good/bad for the show.

I caught the Baretta vs. DiBiase match and I thought that it was decent. With the botch I don't think it was too bad he just ended a little bit short and DiBiase tried to help sell it. Baretta is lucky that he ended up landing on his back and was able to roll through a bit rather than landing on his head or neck. The two middle matches were nothing matches but it is good that AJ from tough enough made it onto a show. Mainevent I didn't get to see but it sounds like a good tag team match. Hopefully we get tag team matches like these on RAW and Smackdown in future weeks.

I look forward to more reviews.