• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Strikeforce has set the date for its next event, May 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., the promotion’s home base prior to being purchased by Zuffa, also the UFC’s parent company.

Strikeforce on Friday announced that tickets will go on sale for the event on April 6 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT via Ticketmaster.

Thus far, only the final bout of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix has been confirmed for the May 19 event. That final features former UFC heavyweight champion and Pride veteran Josh Barnett against blazing up-and-comer Daniel Cormier.

Barnett (31-5) hasn’t lost a fight since 2008, winning eight consecutive bouts. He rolled over both Brett Rogers and Sergei Kharitonov in the opening rounds of the Grand Prix, easily moving into the final.

Cormier didn’t even start fighting until 2009, but enters the bout with a stellar 9-0 record. He entered the tournament in the semifinal round as a replacement for an injured Alistair Overeem, but he immediately proved his worth.

Cormier knocked out Antonio “Bigfootâ€￾ Silva inside of the opening five minutes of their fight. Silva had just come off of a victory over Fedor Emelianenko.

Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez is also expected to defend his belt on the May 19 fight card, but his bout has yet to be made official, and any opponent is still speculative.

This is going to be one of the best Strike Force cards in a while, Barnett/Cormier is going to be awesome and I'll finally be able to cash in on my bet with Barnett. Gilbert Melendez is going to be fighting on this card as well, and anytime he fights I watch. Most importantly though, Nate Marquardt's debut with Strikeforce :mark: