Tatanka's early 1990s run.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
I’m going to go way back to the early 1990s for this topic, ladies and gents.

Back in 1991, The Native American Tatanka, made his debut in the WWF, in which he went on a near two year undefeated streak. During this streak, he had fueds with Bam Bam, IRS, Rick Martel, and HBK. During his infamous streak, Tatanka, was a fan favorite and one of the back bones of the WWF Mid Card division. At Wrestlemania 9, it was rumored that he was supposed to win the IC championship from HBK but back stage politics stopped this from occurring. Anyway, the streak was ended by flash in the pan superstar, Ludvig Borga, with the help of a steel chair, Mr. Fuji, and Yokozuna, which resulted in Tatanka being out for three months.

Now on to the heel turn: Anyone, who was a fan of the WWF during the Lex Luger days remembers the fued with Tatanka. The whole, will he or will he not sell out to the million dollar man, was the cause of the feud. Instead of Luger selling out, we see Tatanka sell out and becoming one of the corner stones of the Million Dollar Corp. Tatanka had a decent run as a heel, before leaving the WWF due to family issues.

Now flash forward, to 2007 during his last WWE run. Remember how Tatanka, turned heel with a feud that never really happened with Bobby Lashley? I remember, seeing Tatanka coming out to the arena wearing war paint, and a more heavy entrance theme (that still had a Native American vibe). During this short promo, Tatanka made references to his streak and comparing it to the hardships his people faced in the past. Tatanka also went on to state that he, “called upon his forefathers to unleash a new warrior in himâ€￾. I remember thinking, damn this is how his heel turn should have went after the losses to Borga and Yokozuna! Not selling out to the Million Dollar Man. I think this heel turn (which didn’t last because he left shortly after), was twelve years too late, and could have pushed Tatanka into winning the IC title and possibly main eventing a few PPVs.

Anyway, this is just my opinion on an old favorite of mine, but what do you guys think?

Reaction score
Tatanka's original run with the WWE was really weird. He had this extremely long winning streak (Possibly had more wins than anyone else in 1992 or 1993), but then it didn't build up to anything. Once he lost his winning streak, what little direction the WWE had for him was lost too. On the surface, the heel turn was a real chance for Tatanka to do something. For the past eight or so months, he hadn't really done anything as a babyface. Yet, the WWE continued to not do anything with Tatanka as a heel. When he left in March 1996, I don't think anyone even noticed.

In those 4 and a half years, I'm not sure if he ever had a purpose or anything to show for his time. His undefeated streak was done seemingly just for the sake of doing something.

His 2006 return was so random and within a few weeks, it was clear they didn't have anything for Tatanka to do. It was the 90's all over again.

Castiel

Reaction score
From old VHS' and such I only remember Tatanka as the guy with the incredibly long win streak. There was literally nothing else to him, just a guy with a win streak. Now, I was actually watching during his return to Smackdown and I remember they had a series of pretty boring vignettes for his heel turn I believe then nothing. He was just never meant to reach great heights I guess but how far could they really have gone with him in 06? Still, a lot of wrestling fans will remember him for that streak.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I've always sorta felt like WWF realized one day that he hadn't been beat yet and the writers were like "fuck it, we'll make him a win streak guy" and then left it at that. Really I hardly think he could have been anything more than an average IC champ in tgose days and would have only held it for a little while before HBK or Perfect or Diesel took it off of him. He never inspired me in any way.

FalconPunch

Reaction score
He was a solid worker, but nothing special. Fond memories of watching him wrestle in my youth though.

Alex Scott

Metrosexual New Owner
Reaction score
My memory of Tatanka looks to be like everyone else's. Besides the undefeated streak, I don't remember much about him other than he was Native American. I watched the match against HBK at Wrestlemania. While obviously it was awkward, I felt back then and still do that it would not have been the right move to give Tatanka the belt. It would have been another example of WWF trying to make something out of someone by giving them the belt, instead of building them up before getting the belt. The man gives the belt credibility, not the other way around, and I don't feel Tatanka had that much credibility.

FalconPunch

Reaction score
Ludvig Borger beating tatanka on an episode of Superstars with one finger was shocking though. Back when you thought wrestling was real, I wanted revenge badly.