Tarec Saffiedine calls out Rory MacDonald; eyes fall return

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Former Strikeforce Welterweight Champion has had several nagging injuries over the last couple of years. After winning the Strikeforce Welterweight Championship from Nate Marquardt, Sponge was set to make his octagon debut against Robbie Lawler back at UFC on Fox 8, but was forced out of the bout with an undisclosed injury.

While Saffiedine was sanctioned to fight Jake Ellenberger twice, both fighters had to withdraw separate occasions due to injury as Saffiedine finally managed to make his UFC debut against Hyun Gyu Lim at UFC Fight Night 34. But as far as his next challenge, Saffiedine is interested in Ellenberger's UFC on Fox 8 opponent Rory MacDonald.

Tarec Saffiedine said:
I’m trying to get a fight around September. That would give me a little bit of time to get back in shape before starting camp. I don’t want to go just right away into camp. I’d like to get back into the shape you need to be before camp. I’d love to have a camp of six or seven weeks for my next fight, and so that’s why I’m hoping to fight in September.â€

“With the proper camp and me doing everything I need to do, I know I can beat that guy. He’s close to the title shot, so it’s a fight I’d love to have. I think we can put on an amazing fight, and I believe that my style can beat his style, without a doubt.â€

Saffiedine is currently not set with an opponent but he's eyeing a fall return. Apart from gaining the Strikeforce welterweight championship from Nate Marquardt in January 2013, he has no noteable wins underneath his belt.

Author: Alex Cochrane
Cited source: BJPenn.com

-------------------------------------------------------------

MacDonald vs Saffiedine definitely has my eye, I have to admit that I believe that would be an interesting fight depending on who takes control.

Swinny

Reaction score
It is an interesting fight, but I think Rory would have the advantage in wrestling and grappling and would take it that way.