• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tag Team wrestling

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
I miss the days of good tag team wrestling. Where we had actual teams such as The Road Warrior/Legion of Doom, Demolition, The Rockers, Harlem Heat, The Headshrinkers, Bushwackers and I could go on and on but I am sure you get the point.

Do you really think there is just no place in wrestling for tag teams anymore? I am sure we have all heard of HHH wanting to bring back actual teams instead of just two people thrown together in an impromptu match. Could they thrive in thrive in either big promotion now, or are they a thing of the past?

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
It's hard to be a tag team, especially in WWE where their amount of star power is just through the roof at the moment. They have to get all their big stars on their shows and that leaves very little time for tag team action, but as far as creating new teams, I think they're moving in the right direction. The Usos are still stable, Epico and Primo have been on a roll, if Camacho ever becomes an active superstar we could see him begin to team with Hunico, PLUS we have semi-tag teams in the form of Swaggler and Truth/Kofi (although on a personal note, I'd hate to see Truth and Kofi come together full time). I sure I'm already overlooking some of them, but the fact of the matter is, there are some there, and some on the horizon.

Luckily, WWE is getting their new network, which calls for more programming, and hopefully since they'll begin to have more opportunities to diversify their megastars' appearances, allowing more time for tag teams to get rolling and have a little bit of the spotlight. I don't know if that's something I'm really holding my breath for, but it could happen.

And in TNA, I can't really complain about their tag division. You've got an awesome set of tag champs in Magnus and Samoa Joe, you've got Mexican America (who, really, aren't spectacular), Ink Inc, EY and ODB (maybe?), Crimson and Morgan (also maybe), and as soon as Sabin gets back to proper condition, we'll have MCMG back in action. Plus, the members of Immortal could team on any given night, which allows for combinations like Gunner and Steiner, Steiner and Roode, Roode and Bully, Bully and Steiner, Bully and Gunner, Gunner and Roode and anyone else. I think TNA's pretty stable, so I wouldn't call it a lost art in all major promotions.

And depending on how you label ROH, they could be considered a major wrestling promotion, and I don't even need to explain why their tag division is awesome. If you need an appropriate reason, I've got only two words... BRISCOE, BROTHERS...

But yeah, no one is really going to argue that tag wrestling was at it's best a decade ago and the decades before. I sort of blame it on the fact that gimmicks have also become less diverse, and because of that, you know longer have two guys brought together under a singular gimmick. Like Samu (or Sionne) and Fatu as The Headshrinkers, both being savage samoans, or Demolition, LOD, or The Power of Pains all being face painted monters hellbent on destruction. Then you had the rock 'n' roller teams like the RnR Express, The Midnight Rockers, or the Rock 'n' Roll RPMs for that matter. What I'm getting at is that when bookers were more interested in developing dynamic gimmicks, you saw more guys pulled together to play the part. Now that wrestling is less gimmicky and not everyone has their own persona entirely unique from the others, you don't see guys united like they used to be.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
And in TNA, I can't really complain about their tag division. You've got an awesome set of tag champs in Magnus and Samoa Joe, you've got Mexican America (who, really, aren't spectacular), Ink Inc, EY and ODB (maybe?), Crimson and Morgan (also maybe), and as soon as Sabin gets back to proper condition, we'll have MCMG back in action. Plus, the members of Immortal could team on any given night, which allows for combinations like Gunner and Steiner, Steiner and Roode, Roode and Bully, Bully and Steiner, Bully and Gunner, Gunner and Roode and anyone else. I think TNA's pretty stable, so I wouldn't call it a lost art in all major promotions.

Ink Inc. is no more since Neal is gone from the company and Mexican America might as well be defunct because Anarquia is down in OVW learning how not to injure wrestlers during matches. I don't see Crimson/Morgan staying together much longer as it appears TNA believes the "money" is in them feuding. Still, with MCMG looking to return soon and the potential Immortal teams (Steiner/Ray would rule just for the promos) I think things are fine in TNA's tag division. They could stand to stick a few other teams together though, just to give Joe/Magnus something to do in the meantime.

Sabretooth

Yeah, Jesse Neal left, Mexican America has been gone. Matt Morgan and Crimson are obviously picking up on there so very exciting feud. TNA is doing ok though.

The reason WWE looks so bad right now is because it was so good a decade ago. But its not all their fault. It's not their fault that there's no more edge and Christian, no more Hardy Boyz, no more Dudley Boys. I can't really honestly say that there's a place for tag team wrestling considering the situation now. But WWE is taking a step in the right direction. It's not that easy though, you can't just bring in five teams at once and throw them into the tag title hunt. They have to move slowly. But having Kane bury everyone after a good triple threat tag match was not good. But besides that, there moving in the right direction. But in it's current state, I'd say it will take a year and a half to get it like was again. As long as wwe takes things slowly and gives it plenty of time to breathe and build new teams, it will be mostly restored to full health.

W-olf

I miss the days of good tag team wrestling. Where we had actual teams such as The Road Warrior/Legion of Doom, Demolition, The Rockers, Harlem Heat, The Headshrinkers, Bushwackers and I could go on and on but I am sure you get the point.

Do you really think there is just no place in wrestling for tag teams anymore? I am sure we have all heard of HHH wanting to bring back actual teams instead of just two people thrown together in an impromptu match. Could they thrive in thrive in either big promotion now, or are they a thing of the past?

So do I , So do I!

I feel there is its how they market the team since its all ratings and money as opposed to the 80's or early 90's , but when wwe hires KOW its proof they want a good tag team division .

One of the big drawbacks like EC said is the star power today but I think it goes further when WWE try to market all these guys without building them up for money ratings or w/e the reason they dont have the chance to see em in tag teams and matches or a good stable war if your me . And also with them being green half the time (not always) they get injured or injure someone else before they can catch there break or hit there niche .

Also should be mentioned with the arrogance of the wrestlers you wont seem them wrestle as teams as long as say Road Warriors its family to the road warriors its a job to some if not most of the guys in wwe now.

But if WWE or TNA want to yes it could strive its just what and how there pushed hell thats the bookers job its just what there told to push right?