ROH All Star Extravaganza VII Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
@Josh... Silas' teachings are already showing.
CPVisK5UAAA2Z-b.jpg

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Oh, this is already getting good. I wanna see them chop wood and put some women in their place.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Prince Bálor's ROH Journey
Destination: All Star Extravaganza VII - San Antonio, TX
Date: 9/18/15

091815_ASE7_POSTER_WEB.jpg

- A nicely put video package hyping All Star Extravaganza is aired.

- Alex Iz and Alvaro Riojas are the Spanish announce team and they're a bit cheeky, holding a 'DON'T BREAK OUR TABLE. BREAK THEIRS' sign. Nice!
- ROH TV Title match: Jay Lethal vs Bobby Fish was a very good show opener. ***½
Fish worked his submission game early on, leading to Lethal grabbing the ropes, then Martini tried to get involved, but Fish stomped his hand and then would eat a Lethal Injection in the first 3-4 minutes. The champ tried to go for a cover, but Fish got out of the ring. Afterwards, Lethal being a great heel, gets out of the ring, beats the hell out of Fish outside, with chops and throwing him into the barricades, leading to a great near count-out, which made sense, given Lethal was trying to survive for the World title match later in the ME. Overall, I enjoyed the pacing and the energy of this match, the work was nice and smooth and the homestretch was satisfying. Lethal wins as expected, by countering the Fish Hook into some sort of a roll-up (with a handful of tights).

- #BattleForTheBoys: Silas Young vs Dalton Castle was solid. **½
I've been loving this feud, it's so whacky. After some shenanigans by The Boys and both men trying their best to win, Silas finally won with a low-blow, followed by Misery.
The Last Real Man teaching The Boys how to be REEEAAL MEEEN shall provide some great TV! Can't wait!

- We get a fine backstage promo from Dem Boys.

- Before Jay and Mark's mystery opponents are revealed, the buzzkillers, BJ and Page, come out to inform us they aren't the opponents, much to everyone's delight, because they are injured, and BJ will be on commentary. Oh, joy!
Romantic Touch then came out, only to get his ass beat by The Briscoes. The lights go out... Aaand The All Night Express is back! Rhett Titus and Kenny King reunited and got a good reaction! Also, RT taking out the (fake) Romantic Touch as he entered was nice.

- The ANX vs Dem Boys was rock solid for the time given. **¾
It was a fun, back-and-forth action and The ANX picked up a big win with a One Night Stand.
Post-match, Page hit Jay in the ding ding, but The ANX returned to make the save. They shook hands afterwards to show respect. Overall, this was enjoyable.

- No DQ match: Moose vs Cedric Alexander was a good slugfest. ***
Both guys worked hard and Moose won by Spearing CA through a table.

- Best of 5 Series (Match #3): ACH vs Matt Sydal was good. ***¼
They kicked things off slow, building towards the bigger stuff later on. They played off of Sydal being the veteran and trying to outsmart the hungry, up-and-coming guy in ACH. Sydal worked the leg, but ACH sadly forget about that narrative during his comeback... ACH hit a Brainbuster, followed by Midnight Star for the win. He's now 2-1 in the lead.

- ROH Tag Team Title match: The Kingdom vs The Young Bucks vs The Addiction was decent for what it was. **
It was mostly random carnage, but damn, I loathe the idea of The Kingdom being the new tag champs.
So, a KRD member turns on The Addiction? What was even more mind-boggling is the fact they ended the match with a roll-up, after the Meltzer Driver was already hit. I was like LOLWUT.

- #1 Contender's match: AJ Styles vs Adam Cole vs Roderick Strong vs Michael Elgin was stellar and very fun. MOTN ***¾

- ROH World Title match: Jay Lethal vs Kyle O'Reilly was a very good ME. ***½
So, Lethal retains as expected, but due to interference by Cole? Cole being back with The Kingdom and the idea that it was all a ruse is interesting, but overbooking hurt this match for me.

While ROH delivered with All Star Extravaganza as far as in-ring stuff goes, some of the booking was annoying.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
I'm not complaining about it, but why did Lethal get a sudden mega push? He spent the better part of last year in a feud with Matt Taven, and now he's beating everyone's ass with two titles.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I'm not complaining about it, but why did Lethal get a sudden mega push? He spent the better part of last year in a feud with Matt Taven, and now he's beating everyone's ass with two titles.
He's been one of the most protected characters in wrestling for just about two years. This megapush is nothing new. Delirious books with a bigger picture in mind. There's always something big on the horizon, Briscoe's unpinned streak, the rise of Adam Cole, Elgin's Samoa Joe reign (which got derailed by him being stuck in Canada). Lethals becoming dual champ has been planned out for at least a year and a half before he won the ROH title. His TV title reign is also one of the best booked in wrestling with a lot of memorable defenses