Reviewing every WWE PPV in order from worst to best

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
You can really see the blueprint of what made 2004 so abnormally good starting around this time, with some garbage still leftover lmao

Reactions: Jarf

Jarf

Reaction score
WrestleMania 34

1000010585.jpg

Match 1: Intercontinental Championship Triple Threat Match - Seth Rollins def. The Miz (c) & Finn Balor (15:30)

1000010615.jpg

A great match to start off this WrestleMania. They had an awesome triple threat on Raw the year before so my expectations were high for this match (as they were for a number of matches on this show). Miz also comes out with the Miztourage and tells them to go to the back, wanting to do this on his own. I have to say, if Miz had won after that, it might’ve been a sweet victory despite me rooting for Finn at the time. This was fast paced all the way through and each man came out looking good. There was a lot to talk about here, Finn dives on both men on the outside. Seth hits duel suicide dives to both men. Miz gets a big bruise on his side at some point so he he definitely took his lumps. Seth and Finn show off their great chemistry. Miz takes Seth out of the ring and puts Finn in the Figure 4 leglock. But Seth leaps back into the match, literally, with a frog splash onto Miz to break it up! Seth teases using the Buckle Bomb to Finn on the outside, but Finn escapes this time and potentially saves his shoulder. One sweet sequence occurs when Seth hits a superplex and then tries the falcon arrow, but Finn reverses it into a small package. Seth kicks out and looks at the ref asking if it was only 2, but that small distraction lets Miz come up from behind and hit Skull Crushing Finale! But Seth kicks out. And the closing moments of this match are beautiful! Miz hits a bulldog to Seth from the top rope and covers him, but Finn hits a Coup de Grace to break it up. Finn dropkicks Miz in the corner and hits the Coup de Grace. Finn tries to roll Miz over to cover him, but Seth comes back in and hits a Curb Stomp to Finn onto Miz’s back and Seth ends the match with another Curb Stomp, this time to The Miz to win the match. Awesome opening match.

My Rating: ****

I guess I should mention at this point that John Cena is in the crowd because he challenged Undertaker to a match here and Undertaker has yet to respond. So he’s in the crowd as a fan.

Match 2: SmackDown Women’s Championship Match - Charlotte Flair (c) def. Asuka (13:05)

1000010616.jpg

Then Charlotte and Asuka have to follow that. And then somehow top it. This is my favorite match on the whole show and is one of the most underrated matches in WrestleMania history in my opinion! From start to finish, I thought this was great. And the result was a big surprise to many of us. The first few minutes is them trying to outwrestle the other. But the match picks up after Asuka sends Charlotte into the barricade, which injures the latter’s shoulder. Asuka paints a bullseye on it and kicks it repeatedly. Charlotte gives Asuka a couple knee drops that places her in front of the top right corner. Charlotte goes for a moonsault, but Asuka opens her legs and catches Charlotte in a Triangle Choke! But Charlotte reverses it into a Boston Crab. Asuka reverses that into a pin. They both end up on the apron and Asuka suplexes Charlotte onto the floor. Both women beat the 10 count and Charlotte tells Asuka that she’s the queen, to which Asuka responds to slapping the shit out of her with multiple strikes. Asuka goes to the top rope as the match goes on and Charlotte chops her in the chest and goes up with her and hits a Spanish Fly! In the closing moments of this match, Asuka tries to get Charlotte in the Asuka Lock and kicks the shit out of her. Asuka takes a run at the ropes and Charlotte hits her with a sick Spear! Then puts her in the Figure 8! And Asuka… taps out?! Asuka tapped out?! That’s how I reacted at the time. Now look, I have no problem with Charlotte ending Asuka’s streak. I don’t think she needed it, but whatever. I do however have a problem with this aftermath. Where Asuka grabs a mic and says in a very forced voice “Charlotte was ready for Asuka!” Like why ya gotta do her like that man. Other than that, I loved everything about this! This was a fantastic match!

My Rating: ****1/4

So after the match, a referee runs down to let Cena know that The Undertaker is here and Cena leaps over the barricade to sprint up the ramp past Charlotte.

Match 3: United States Championship Fatal 4-Way Match - Jinder Mahal def. Randy Orton (c), Rusev & Bobby Roode (8:15)

1000010575.jpg

A match that screams the match that gives them something to do. So odd to see Randy Orton in such a midcard match. Rusev was over as fuck as you probably can imagine. So everyone was ready to see him take the win. Not a whole lot to say other than the crowd was dead for everything that didn’t involve Rusev. Orton immediately tries to hit Jinder with an RKO. Rusev clears the ring and stands by himself in the ring. Orton hits Roode with a superplex. Orton hits Rusev with a draping DDT and the crowd is sooooo dead. So Orton is like “come oooooon.” Throwing his arms around to try to get the crowd into it. As Orton sets up Rusev, Aiden English runs in to eat an RKO and thats in vain because he still gets Rusev. Jinder runs back in and he also gets an RKO. But Bobby Roode saves the match and hits Orton with a Glorious DDT. Rusev hits him with a Machka Kick. Rusev looks like he’s gonna put Jinder in the Accolade, but Jinder slips away and Samir Singh gets on the apron. Rusev kicks him, and much in the same fashion that Jinder won the WWE Title, he takes advantage and gives Rusev the Khallas to win and take another title from Orton.

My Rating: **1/4

Match 4: Mixed Tag Team Match - Kurt Angle & Ronda Rousey def. Triple H & Stephanie McMahon (20:40)

1000010576.jpg

Ronda, oh Ronda. Where did you go wrong? Her career had such a promising start because this match ruled. I remember at the time thinking this match was gonna suck. Ronda was new to wrestling, HHH and Angle were past their primes and Stephanie wasn’t a wrestler at all. I was very pleasantly surprised by the end of this match. Match starts with Angle and HHH. HHH and Steph isolate Kurt by cheating. And they really make you wait for that Ronda hot tag, to build it up. Angle reverses an irish whip into the corner and Triple H goes over them to the floor. Kurt tags Ronda in and she pretty much sprints over and brings Stephanie into the ring, lighting her up with punches to the body. As you can expect, Ronda floors Steph. She hits the Pipers Pit, that weird samoan drop move she did and covers Steph. HHH pulls the referee out of the ring to stop it. Then pulls Ronda out of the ring. Kurt goes over to fight with HHH and gets him on the announce table. He looks like he’s about to german Triple H through a table, but HHH shoves Kurt over the table next to the one they’re standing on. He goes to check on Stephanie. But Ronda gets back in the ring and tells HHH to bring it on. HHH smirks and tells the referee to stay out of it. But it doesn’t get the way he thinks it will because she lights him up in the corner, the crowd goes wild. Stephanie saves HHH and slaps Ronda in the face. Ronda chases Steph outside. But Steph shoves Ronda into the ring post. Kurt finally gets back in the ring and continues the match with HHH. He Germans HHH a few times and then gives him an Angle Slam. HHH kicks out and Steph comes back in. She goes to kick him, but Kurt catches her foot and looks around at the crowd who start to go nuts once again. Kurt shrugs his shoulders and puts Steph in the ankle lock, but HHH makes the save and gives Kurt the Pedigree. He makes the cover and Ronda makes the save. HHH teases hitting the Pedigree on Ronda… but since Ronda probably can’t do a hurricanrana from that position yet, he goes for a powerbomb instead so Ronda can reverse it into a hurricanrana. Lol. But god damn this match is chaotic and I love it! Ronda puts HHH in an armbar! And after Steph saves him, Ronda puts her in one and as HHH goes to save her, Kurt catches him and puts him in an Ankle Lock! HHH rolls through to reverse it and Kurt lands on Ronda. HHH says it’s time for Pedigrees. Him and the Mrs. get their opponents in Pedigree positions, but Kurt reverses it and backdrops HHH over the ropes, while Ronda backdrops Steph and rolls into position for an armbar. And put the icing on the cake, Ronda holds Steph’s arm and Steph looks up at her and just says “no, no!” Ronda pulls Steph’s arm back and forces her to tap out! This was one of those matches where every spot was a highlight. And that’s pretty damn impressive. Awesome stuff.

My Rating: ****

Match 5: SmackDown Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Match - The Bludgeon Brothers def. The Usos (c) & The New Day (Kofi & Big E.) (5:50)

1000010577.jpg

Just a short match that showcases Harper and Rowan’s dominance more than anything. They bulldoze their opponents and even Xavier who was just minding his own business. Rowan throws him into the ring post to make sure he stays out of the match. The Usos are their bigger competition. They give Harper a double superkick and an Uso Splash, but Harper kicks out. They try a double suicide dive to Rowan, who catches them both by the throats which was sick. But The Usos double suplex him on the outside. Big E. just gets floored by the Super Bludgeon Bros. Rowan gives Kofi a powerbomb. Harper, who’s sitting on the top turnbuckle motions for Rowan to throw Kofi up on his shoulders. Harper powerbombs Kofi from the second rope and they take the titles.

My Rating: **

Match 6: The Undertaker def. John Cena (2:45)

1000010610.jpg

They make sure to tease us a little longer. Elias makes his way out with Cena in the ring instead of Undertaker. He plays a song before Cena gives him his 5 moves of doom. Cena looks dejected and gets halfway up the ramp before the lights go out. Now I’ll give them this. I think this was a genius way to build up this match. They never officially confirmed it for the show because Undertaker never answered Cena’s challenge beforehand. So everyone was like “Undertaker has to show up… right? Right?!” But then again, that was probably just the feeling because we were so used to disappointment with this fucking company. Undertaker comes down to the ring and I have to say, this was one of many matches I was excited about. I was 95% sure Undertaker was gonna wrestle Cena. I was so hyped for this. I wasn’t expecting a classic, but it was more about the moment than anything for me. I was ready. So Undertaker comes in, gets his shit in, beats the hell out of Cena. Cena tries 5 knuckle shuffle, only for Taker to sit up. Undertaker Chokeslams Cena and hits a Tombstone and I was sitting there like “okay, surely he kicks out.” And he didn’t… And then I sat there going “what the fuck.” I was pissed and it still pisses me off. Get me all hyped up for a 2 minute match. Get outta here.

Match 7: Daniel Bryan & Shane McMahon def. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn (15:25)

1000010617.jpg

I think I nearly cried when Daniel Bryan came out on that stage in his wrestling gear. It was a sight I never thought I’d see again. This of course was Bryan’s return match after being forced into retirement a couple years earlier. And how appropriate for it to be in the same building where Bryan took on Evolution in one night and won! The one thing I didn’t like about this, is the fact that Bryan is out of the match for most of it. Owens and Zayn jump Bryan and Shane from behind. Owens hits Bryan with the powerbomb on the apron. So Bryan is outside with the doctors for half of the match while Owens and Zayn beat on Shane in the ring. Out of the 2 McMahon siblings, I wasn’t expecting Stephanie to have the better match. Shane hits Sami with a coast to coast at some point, but Owens hits Shane with a frog splash and covers him. Bryan makes the save and finally gets on the apron. Shane tags in Bryan and this crowd blows up with Yes chants! Bryan gets in and overwhelms Sami and KO! Bryan plans to use the running knee, but Owens grabs Bryan’s foot which allows Sami to hit the Helluva Kick. Owens gives Bryan a Pop-Up Powerbomb which Bryan kicks out of! Shane takes Kevin to the outside which leaves Bryan and Sami in the ring. Bryan kicks the shit out of him, gives him a running knee and makes him tap out to the Yes Lock! Bryan was back!

My Rating: ***1/4

Match 8: Raw Women’s Championship Match - Nia Jax def. Alexa Bliss (c) (10:15)

1000010579.jpg

Now I didn’t mind this match being on the card. Anytime I can see Alexa is a good time. But why did it need to get 10 minutes? After a while it just starts to drag. Nia takes Mickie out before the bell even rings. Nia starts the match tossing Alexa around like a ragdoll. But after Alexa pokes her in the eye, she starts going after Nia’s knee. I remember this being a squash. Alexa gets more offense in than I remember, including a Twisted Bliss to Nia on the outside. A DDT almost gets Alexa the win. Alexa tries to hit… something off the top rope, but Nia catches her and flings her into the corner. And Nia takes Alexa’s title with a Samoan Drop from the second rope.

My Rating: **

Match 9: WWE Championship Match - AJ Styles (c) def. Shinsuke Nakamura (20:20)

1000010580.jpg

Man… I’ll start off by saying that I had high expectations for this match. I had watched their Wrestle Kingdom match as most of us did and it only reinforces the idea that this match should’ve been a MOTY candidate. But I know, my expectations were too high. That’s on me. This match is still good though, just far from the classic we were expecting. Once this match was over it felt like someone had let the air out of me. The match starts off good. It looked like it was going to be good. Both of them trying to psych each other out. And they hit each other pretty damn hard. The issue with this match I think is that there’s no psychology. They just do all their moves for like 15 minutes and then start to kick into high gear in the final 5. AJ kicks Shinsuke’s knee out from under him and gets him in the Calf Crusher. Nakamura hangs on and manages to reverse it into a triangle choke. But Styles powers Nakamura up onto his shoulders and hits him with a Death Valley Driver. Nakamura attempts the knee in the corner, but AJ moves and Shinsuke slams his knee into the turnbuckle. AJ hits the Forearm for a close 2 count. AJ goes back to the apron and tries a springboard 450, but Shinsuke gets his knees up and tries to pin Styles, who kicks out. And now these 2 start to cook. They land strikes to each other. Styles hits a pale kick, but Nakamura hits a Kinshasa to the back of his head. He slaps AJ in the head a few times and hits an overhead suplex and goes for one more Kinshasa. But AJ reverses the attempted knee into a Styles Clash position which actually makes the crowd pop. Styles wins after a disappointing match. Not even a bad match.

My Rating: ***1/2

After the match, Nakamura presents the title to AJ and low blows him, which begins his gimmick of ball destroyer which we all remember and love. He kicks the hell out of AJ and gives him a Kinshasa after the match is over.

Match 10: Raw Tag Team Championship Match - Braun Strowman & Nicholas def. The Bar (c) (4:00)

1000010582.jpg

The whole build up to this match is “who is Braun Strowman’s partner?” I was genuinely wondering who it could possibly be. Braun has made enemies with the whole locker room so who would wanna team up with him. Little did I know that it wouldn’t be a wrestler at all. Braun goes into the crowd and picks a kid out of his seat named Nicholas. So Braun does pretty much all the work because… yeah duh. The Bar are able to get their shots on him after a double suplex. Cesaro and Sheamus bring the big man to his knees. Braun backdrops Sheamus over the top rope and makes the hot tag to Nicholas. Cesaro stares a hole through this kid and in my head I’m like. “Please swing him. Please, please swing him.” Sorry, not sorry. Nicholas quickly tags Braun back in. Cesaro springboards off the middle rope, going for a spinning uppercut, but Braun catches him and drops him with a powerslam. I remember a lot of people being pissed about this. I can get why, but I don’t care enough to be mad if I’m being honest.

My Rating: *

Main Event: Universal Championship Match - Brock Lesnar (c) def. Roman Reigns (15:55)

1000010583.png

Wow… this was rough. In more ways than one actually. Its still baffling how they thought they were gonna get away with this. The crowd already did not care about this match. I’ll cut them a little slack and say it isn’t as bad as the cagematch rating suggests. And I think they actually had a chance to win over the crowd at one point as the match was actually going pretty well. Brock dominates most of the match. Roman gets 2 Spears on Brock. The point of the no return occurs when they have Roman kick out of 3 F5s. Yes, 3. Roman kicked out of 3 F5s in a row. That’s where they fucked up. Because 3 F5s is what broke The Undertaker’s WrestleMania streak. 3 F5s that would’ve finished off anybody else. But not Roman Reigns, the powerful big dog himself! I really don’t know what they were expecting. That all of a sudden because Roman kicked out of 3 finishers that the people would get behind him as if they didn’t see through this shit. Brock tosses Roman outside and F5s him through the announce table. That’s 4 F5s. Brock tosses Roman back in the ring and F5s him again. This has to be it. 1, 2.. Kick out! Okay, what the fuck. 5 F5s and Roman still kicked out. The crowd is booing all this by the way. And I heard a “this is awful” chant at one point. Brock elbows Roman in the head, busting him open like he did to Orton at SummerSlam. And Roman bleeds badly here. And admittedly, he looked sick as hell with his own blood running down his face. He hits another Spear on Brock and tries ending it with another, but Brock catches him and drops him with a SIXTH F5! 1, 2… kick ou- nah I’m kidding that’s it. Wow. What a disaster this was to watch. I don’t think I’ve seen a cringier match in my life. Botchy matches at least are an honest mistake. This was all planned and designed to get Roman cheered. Yeah, how did that work out for ya?

My Rating: **1/2

Cagematch Rating: 5.99

My Rating: 8/10

As a man who watched WrestleMania 11, 9 and 4 from start to finish, I find it comical when I see people call this the worst WrestleMania of all time. You haven’t been through the trenches my friend. I honestly thought this WrestleMania was really good. Is it perfect? Fuck no it isn’t. And that’s the reason it doesn’t have a higher rating from me, because of its stumbles. But this Mania had plenty of good things on it too. I don’t think it deserves the hate it receives.

Our next show comes from 1992. The first of the series actually. Survivor Series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skyefire and Chris

Jarf

Reaction score
Survivor Series 1992

1000010653.jpg

Match 1: The Headshrinkers def. High Energy (7:38)

1000010645.jpg

An average match to start the show off. I believe the Headshrinkers were fairly new to the company. They have the power advantage. Owen gets his team off to a good start until he tags in Koko. Koko shows off his stuff. But he forces the Headshrinkers to headbutt each other, and it has no effect. He ducks under a double clothesline and hits the other side, but also gets hit with a bamboo stick by Afa. From there, the Headshrinkers just lay on Koko, until he makes the hot tag to Owen, who hits them with dropkicks and a crossbody to (insert Headshrinker here). He gets caught in a crossbody after running the ropes by Samu and then Fatu hits the big splash to get the win.

Match 2: Nightstick on a Pole Match - Big Boss Man def. Nailz (5:43)

1000010646.jpg

Holy god damn, I heard people talk about how bad Nailz is. He’s even worse than I could’ve imagined. How did he get a job? Nailz comes out before Boss Man and tries to grab the nightstick and Boss Man (somehow) saw him going for it while being interviewed. From there, they proceed to have a sluggish match because… Oh man, is Nailz bad. Nailz’ moveset consists of choking, choking, followed by more choking. Boss Man eventually goes up and grabs the nightstick and uses it on Nailz. Nailz gets the nightstick and jabs it into Boss Man’s throat. He goes to use it again, but Boss Man sends Nailz off the ropes and hits the Boss Man Slam to win the match.

My Rating: DUD

Match 3: Tatanka def. Rick Martel (11:04)

1000010647.jpg

Boring, average match this is. Tatanka overwhelms Martel at first, but after Martel hot shots Tatanka on the top rope. From there, Martel proceeds to put Tatanka in rest holds for the next several minutes. Why? So Doink the Clown can come halfway down the ring and make balloon animals. And that’s it. His presence has no effect on the outcome of the match. Martel and Tatanka proceed to do the same spot 2 times with Tatanka trying to get a comeback started and Martel puts him back in a rest hold. I’m yawning. The match starts to get interesting once Tatanka does start to get a comeback, but by that point the match is pretty much over. Tatanka does his whole shebang and hits a samoan drop to get the win.

Match 4: Randy Savage & Mr. Perfect def. Ric Flair & Razor Ramon via DQ (16:29)

1000010648.jpg

Okay, ignore that poster up there with the Ultimate Warrior on with Savage. Originally supposed to be Savage teaming with Warrior, but Warrior got released (again) and Savage made the offer to Mr. Perfect to be Warrior’s replacement (that sounds better anyway). Perfect turned face and declared he’s returning to the ring as Savage’s partner. This match was really good, but it’s hindered by the dragging middle portion and the overbooking. Perfect starts the match with Ramon and proves he hasn’t lost a step. He gets the better of Ramon and Flair both. Flair goes nuts after receiving a chop from Perfect. Savage comes in and he has a good showing against them, but he soon receives the isolation treatment and is worn down by Flair and Ramon for an unholy amount of time. Perfect teases leaving at some point for some reason. But he gets back on the apron and Flair and Ramon bust Savage open (it’s not shown how). Savage makes the hot tag to Perfect, who wails on Ramon, who oversells pretty much whatever Perfect throws his way. All 4 men get into a brawl at some point during this and Savage is laid out for the rest of the match with a chair shot from Flair, which the referee doesn’t see. Perfect escapes the Razor’s Edge and hits Ramon with a Perfect Plex, which is broken up by Flair. Perfect hits one on Flair too but it’s for nothing. The double teaming from Flair and Ramon and refusal to leave the ring gets them disqualified. Eye roll. Flair puts Perfect in the Figure 4, Ramon gets in with a chair, but Savage grabs it out of Ramon’s hands and knocks him down before dropping the chair for Perfect to use against Flair. Perfect and Savage are declared the winners by disqualification. It’s a shame that match had to end that way because it was just starting to get really good.

My Rating: ***1/2

Match 5: Yokozuna def. Virgil (3:34)

1000010712.jpg

Just a match to showcase Yokozuna. Virgil gets some dropkicks and punches on the big man, but that’s about it. I remember Virgil tried to roll Yoko up from behind and Yoko ended up just sitting on him. He squashes Virgil in the corner and drops him in the corner of the ring before going to the second rope and dropping his big ass on the man. That’s it.

My Rating: *1/2

Match 6: Survivor Series Tag Team Elimination Match - The Nasty Boys & The Natural Disasters def. Money Inc. & The Beverly Brothers (15:50)

1000010650.jpg

Holy tits this was a chore to sit through. It's a snoozefest all the way through. And unlike most Survivor Series Elimination matches, you just need to beat one member of a team to send his partner nack. It starts the same all tag matches started back then. The faces beat up the heels for a bit. The Beverlys more so than Money Inc. Eventually, they start to wear Sags from the Nasty Boys down. But eventually all 4 teams get in and the Beverlys are the first ones gone after a sit on your chest thing from Earthquake. The match continues for several boring minutes. It gets so boring that the crowd just starts chanting "Irwin" and doesn't stop. Money Inc. chop blocks Typhoon's leg and I.R.S. beats him one of the worst pins I've ever seen. Then a moment later, Knobbs or Sags (I can't remember) rolls I.R.S. up from behind to thankfully win this match.

My Rating: *1/4

Match 7: Coffin Match - The Undertaker def. Kamala (5:27)

1000010651.jpg

And look here, another boring match. WWF decided to try out new things on this show with the Nightstick Match and this match. But boy they were both drags. Kamala is scared to death of Undertaker and the coffin. He threatens Undertaker with a chop, but Taker just marches on. Kamala does this several times with no success. They trade shots with each other. Kamala slams Taker down a few times and gives him a few splashes. Paul Bearer gets on the apron and Kim Chee knocks him off and tosses the urn in the ring for Kamala to use. But Kamala doesn’t want it and just drops it. Then for whatever reason, as the Undertaker is back on his feet, he runs towards the coffin and turns around to get hit in the head with the urn. Undertaker then pins Kamala and they ring the bell for some reason? Undertaker rolls Kamala into the coffin and places the lid on it to officially win the match.

My Rating: 1/2*

Main Event: WWF Championship Match - Bret Hart (c) def. Shawn Michaels (26:40)

1000010652.jpg

Now after a slow burning show, we close the event with a fantastic main event. The lesser remembered match between Bret and Shawn at Survivor Series, but the better one. Now whenever I see somebody talk about this match they have it at 4.5 stars. I can’t say I enjoyed it that much, but outstanding nonetheless. The match starts with Bret outwrestling Shawn for a bit. Michaels is able to turn the tide after a hotshot and Bret runs at Shawn and slams his shoulder into the ring post. This is the portion of the match that holds it back is that Shawn just lays on Bret for forever. Not a whole lot to mention during this bit of the match. Bret nearly starts to come back, but he misses an elbow drop from the second rope. But once Bret gets that comeback going, the match starts to get very good! The pace quickens and the match officially is cooking. Bret gets his moves in for the next several minutes, and that includes a big superplex. Shawn takes Bret to the outside, pushes him into the ring post and scoop slams him on the floor. Shawn goes after Bret’s back. He irish whips him into the corner and backdrops him. Shawn tries a back suplex, but Bret flips over and on his feet, rolling Shawn up from behind, but Michaels kicks out and hits Bret with a superkick. Which I suppose wasn’t his finisher yet. Coming down to the wire, Bret elbows Shawn into the ropes, and Shawn’s arms get caught in the top and middle ropes. Bret goes for a crossbody on Shawn, but Shawn escapes the ropes and Bret’s body hits the ropes grossly and he’s back down in the ring again. Michaels goes to the second rope, but Bret catches his feet and puts him in the Sharpshooter. Shawn says he gives up and the referee rings the bell and Bret retains.

My Rating: ****1/4

Cagematch Rating: 6.00

My Rating: 5/10

We’re officially out of the 5 range ratings! Although we probably shouldn’t be because I don’t think this show should be that high. This card had 2 matches basically and the rest was either boring or just complete crap. And even that tag match had a bad finish. The main event is pretty much the one thing on this show that didn’t drag the show down in some way.

Next event, we’re in Texas! And it’ll be time to Rumble. Because it’s Royal Rumble 1997.

Jarf

Reaction score
Royal Rumble 1997

1000010717.jpg

Match 1: Intercontinental Championship Match - Hunter Hearst Helmsley (c) def. Goldust (16:50)

1000010713.jpg

Actually better than I thought It’d be. It’s just slow paced and, not gonna lie, I think this ref (Earl) was trying to fuck on Hunter. Goldust starts aggressively, tackling Hunter in the entrance way. There’s 3 different times where Goldust uses the steel steps against Hunter and he should’ve been disqualified for it. But the moment Hunter tries to use Goldust’s folding chair, oh now the referee steps in to take it from him. Despite being the babyface, Goldust is in control for most of this match and weakens Hunter’s knee. Coming close to the end of the match, Mr. Hughes (who was at ringside with Hunter) slides in the title so Hunter can use it, but as Hughes is distracting the referee, Goldust gets it out of Hunter’s hands after Hunter kisses Marlena and uses it against him. Goldust covers him, but Hughes pulls Hunter out of the ring and gets on the apron. Goldust knocks him off the apron, but Hunter sneaks in from the other side with a clothesline and Pedigrees Goldust to retain.

Match 2: Ahmed Johnson def. Faarooq via DQ (8:48)

1000010714.jpg

Again, another match better than I expected it to be. It was intense. Ahmed starts off hot, beating on Faarooq. But Faarooq shoves a Nation member into Ahmed’s arms and hits a clothesline. He drops Ahmed kidney first on a standing folding chair. Again, probably should be a DQ. But nah, we’re gonna keep it going. Faarooq wears Ahmed down, but soon Ahmed starts to make that comeback. Faarooq hits a spinebuster and spends too much time running his mouth to the crowd, probably because Ahmed was supposed to get up immediately after that and forgot, so Faarooq had to stall for him. Oops. Ahmed is about to put this match behind him when the Nation jumps in and causes the DQ finish. Ahmed has to fight them all off. He puts one poor guy through an announce table and chases Faarooq up the entrance way.

My Rating: **1/4

Match 3: Vader def. The Undertaker (13:19)

1000010715.jpg

This was okay, but they can do better. Vader tries to jump Undertaker from behind in the ring, but Taker has his number and evades it and goes on the attack. Taker hits a Fameasser after running the ropes and Vader drops down which I wasn’t expecting. Undertaker goes up for Old School, but Vader drops him crotch first on the top rope. Vader wears down Undertaker and comes off the middle rope with a clothesline. But the second time Vader goes up backfires as Undertaker catches him in a powerslam. Vader hits a powerbomb and covers him, but only gets a 2 count. Towards the end, Paul Bearer starts making his way to ringside and Taker doesn’t see it. He chokeslams Vader and clotheslines him over the top rope. He brings Paul in the ring and plans to wail on him, but Vader saves him and they end up outside again. Undertaker positions the steps in front of Vader and goes to run at and leap over them onto Vader, but Paul pulls Vader out of the way and Undertaker hits the barricade. Bearer hits Taker in the head with the urn. Vader takes advantage of a weakened Undertaker and hits the Vader Bomb to win the match.

Match 4: Canek, Hector Garza & Perro Aguayo def. Fuerza Guerrera, Heavy Metal & Jerry Estrada (10:56)

1000010718.jpg

I feel bad for saying this is the worst match on the card, but wow these guys looked lost. If you remember my the mini 6-Man Tag from my review of the 1998 Royal Rumble, this is pretty much the same thing. Only without the impressive acrobatics. These guys seem to have no idea how to work a tag match. They just get their shit in and tag out as if saying “okay your turn.” And they all look like they forget spots. Perro Aguayo though. That man got the spot of the match as far as I’m concerned. This man runs the ropes, looks like he’s about to do a dive to the outside, but then calmly gets on the apron and then leaps off onto Estrada. The finish to this match is definitely something too. Aguayo gets that too. He hits a double stomp on Heavy Metal and then an elbow drop just to be sure to get the pin. Oh my. Out of all the matches I’ve seen during my life, this was definitely one of them.

My Rating: *1/2

Match 5: Royal Rumble Match - Steve Austin won by last eliminating Bret Hart (50:29)

1000010719.jpg

This seems to be a popular one among youtube reviewers while Dave Meltzer rated it only 3 stars. Sorry, but I’m leaning more towards Dave on this one. I was not a big fan of this rumble. It only starts to get good after Bret Hart gets in and that doesn’t happen until after 20 people have come in. This match gets off to a dumb start too. And I do mean dumb. Because it starts with Crush and Ahmed Johnson. After Ahmed eliminated fake Razor Ramon, he sees Faarooq in the entrance way, jumps over the ropes and eliminates himself just to chase Faarooq back. 1000 IQ play right there. I believe at this point in time, the record for most eliminations in one rumble was 10 held by Hulk Hogan. And I do believe that Austin tied that record in this match. He came in at number 5 and was the MVP of this rumble. Owen Hart eliminates British Bulldog because I feel like they were going to go with a Bulldog face turn eventually, and that changed after Bret turned heel. What else is cool about this match, is that they had entrants from AAA entering the match, including Mil Mascaras! That was cool. And then Mascaras eliminates himself to dive on Pierroth. If I had a nickel for every time somebody eliminated themselves in this match, I’d have 2. Which isn’t a lot, but it’s weird that it happened twice. Goldust eliminates Hunter as payback for earlier on. Faarooq comes down and eliminates Latin Lover before he’s eliminated by Ahmed wielding a fucking 2x8! Jesus christ! Jim Ross calls it a 2x4 and Lawler goes “TWO BY FOUR???” Austin eliminates Owen and Marc Mero at the same time and just leaves him in the ring by himself. He eliminates Savio and Jesse James. And then in comes Bret Hart. As the clock for the next entrant starts, Bret puts Austin in the Sharpshooter and then Jerry Lawler’s music hits and in a genuinely hilarious moment, he’s eliminated in 4 seconds with a couple punches from Bret and he screams as he falls over. And then for the rest of the match, pretends that he wasn’t even in it at all. And from there, they let the ring fill up and there’s not another elimination until after number 30 comes in. Leaving us with Stone Cold, Bret Hart, Not Kane, Mankind, Terry Funk, Rocky Maivia, Flash Funk, Henry Godwinn, Vader and Undertaker. Terry Funk is the best man out of that list. Austin and Rock go at it as a precursor to their rivalry. And what’s great here, is that there is a few men in this match you could see winning it. Austin, Bret, Taker, Vader and Mankind. All would’ve made great choices (they might as well have given it to Taker looking back now). We get down to the final 5. Mankind and Terry have been eliminated, but they begin to fight on the outside and that takes the referee’s attention away from Austin being eliminated by Bret. And because they didn’t see it, Austin gets back in, he eliminates Vader and Undertaker and after Bret gets rid of Mayor Glen Jacobs, Austin eliminates him to be declared the winner of the Royal Rumble. A genuinely great finish much to the anger and disappointment of Bret Hart. So now lets go over the men Austin eliminated during this match. Phineas Godwinn, Bart Gunn, Jake Roberts, Owen Hart, Marc Mero, Savio Vega, Jesse James, Vader, The Undertaker and Bret Hart

Main Event: WWF Championship Match - Shawn Michaels def. Sycho Sid (c) (13:49)

1000010716.jpg

Not a great match, but this crowd was hot for this match. Of course they were. Their hometown boy was in it. Shawn gets off to a hot start despite Sid trying to intimidate him. Shawn gets caught in a powerslam however and then Sid starts to wear him down. Working over Shawn’s back. Shawn starts making that comeback though and hits the elbow. He tries for a superkick. But Sid catches his foot, ducks the clothesline and backdrops Shawn over the top rope to the floor. And then follows that up with a powerbomb to the floor. Sid irish whips Shawn into the referee who was standing in the corner and chokeslams Shawn. Another referee runs down and Shawn kicks out. Sid knocks out the new referee, but that allows Shawn to grab one of the camera men’s cameras and hit Sid in the back with it before he hits him in the chest too. Shawn covers Sid, but the big man kicks out. Shawn puts the finishing touches on Sid and this match with a Sweet Chin Music to become a 2x champion. And then lose his smile. Now genuinely, if anybody has the full story to what their plan for WrestleMania actually was, I’d like to hear it. Because I hear they were planning Shawn vs Bret II, but Austin won the rumble, so it looked like they were going with Shawn vs Austin. Just curious if anyone knows how they were gonna get there.

Cagematch Rating: 6.01

My Rating: 5/10

Now I’ll admit, the fact this show doesn’t really have any outstanding matches hurts it a little bit, but I think the fact the 2 main matches end on a high note helps it also. The ending to the Rumble match is one of my favorite endings to a Rumble Match ever. They didn’t have to write any convoluted shit in there to make it work either. And that crowd helped the main event too. They came alive for that match and made it better with how much they got behind Shawn. But like I said, none of the matches are that great. And I don’t think this show is really worth a full watch.

It’s been a while since we’ve had an Unforgiven on the review thread, so we get to get back to that. The next show will be Unforgiven 2004.

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Going back to WrestleMania 34, I, too, it was an overall good show. This was the fourth WrestleMania in a row that Roman had main evented and none of them good matches, though at least the first one had a good outcome. Styles vs Nakamura may have been one of those that could never live up to the hype. It was still great to see. They would have several rematches on PPV and exchange low blows with each other and set up my personal favorite match of their feud, the Last Man Standing Match at WrestleMania. I think Asuka should have won the championship from Flair. Her undefeated streak should have continued into a title reign and ending with her losing the title. I think both Asuka and Nakamura losing goes to show you how WWE gets things wrong with Asian wrestlers. In the past the Asian wrestlers were "evil" and many of them weren't actually Asian. Usually Pacific Islander. They did eventually give Asuka a Championship but she lost it right before WrestleMania 35 to Charlotte and was left off of the WrestleMania card. In fact the last time an East Asian born wrestler won a match at WrestleMania was Taka Michinoku at WrestleMania XIV retaining the light heavyweight championship against Aguilla. And there are only two other times an East Asian wrestler won at WrestleMania are Sato of Orient Express with Hawaiian-born Tanaka against The Rockers at VI and Tenryu & Kitao over Demolition at WrestleMania VII.

Crocker

Reaction score
Going back to WrestleMania 34, I, too, it was an overall good show. This was the fourth WrestleMania in a row that Roman had main evented and none of them good matches, though at least the first one had a good outcome. Styles vs Nakamura may have been one of those that could never live up to the hype. It was still great to see. They would have several rematches on PPV and exchange low blows with each other and set up my personal favorite match of their feud, the Last Man Standing Match at WrestleMania. I think Asuka should have won the championship from Flair. Her undefeated streak should have continued into a title reign and ending with her losing the title. I think both Asuka and Nakamura losing goes to show you how WWE gets things wrong with Asian wrestlers. In the past the Asian wrestlers were "evil" and many of them weren't actually Asian. Usually Pacific Islander. They did eventually give Asuka a Championship but she lost it right before WrestleMania 35 to Charlotte and was left off of the WrestleMania card. In fact the last time an East Asian born wrestler won a match at WrestleMania was Taka Michinoku at WrestleMania XIV retaining the light heavyweight championship against Aguilla. And there are only two other times an East Asian wrestler won at WrestleMania are Sato of Orient Express with Hawaiian-born Tanaka against The Rockers at VI and Tenryu & Kitao over Demolition at WrestleMania VII.

Woah, I thought the first Roman vs Brock match was great, even before the cash in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk