Return announced at Payback [Spoilers]

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I can name quite a few fantastic matches that Cena and Punk have been involved in respectively. Compare this to RVD when the last quality match he's been in was at ECW One Night Stand 2006 and who was that against? That's right, John Cena.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Sorry but I disagree. RVD as a wide arsenal of moves and can put on a great match. Watch an RVD vs Jerry Lynn match and tell me it was bad.
The one from a year or so back was pretty lackluster at best and that's also like saying Ric Flair can put on a good match with Ricky Steamboat now.

Also, if you honestly think RVD is better than Cena you're insane dude. Cena is arguably the best wrestler in the business today.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Dd you guys ever think your underestimating RVD because his TNA run wasn't all that eventful. He's back in WWE with the whole roster to work with. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Dd you guys ever think your underestimating RVD because his TNA run wasn't all that eventful. He's back in WWE with the whole roster to work with. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Or are you overestimating what RVD can do because he is in the WWE?

Castiel

Reaction score
I really think we're going to see a completely different RVD than the one at the end of his TNA run. Something tells me being back with the E for one last run with have him putting in effort. I don't want to get into this stupid who's better than who argument but Van Dam's a solid wrestler, not absolutely great though. I'll admit that and I've always been a big fan of the guy. I'm excited to see his return, he's the same age as Christian and he's proved he can still go so why the hell not?

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I'm actually stoked that he'll be returning to WWE, and at the MITB PPV no less.

I'd love to see him and Punk go at some time down the line, other good matches could be with Ziggler, Kofi, or even Daniel Bryan.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
There's a whole lot of crazy going on in here...

...from people saying RVD can put on 5-star matches to someone saying John Cena is one of the best in the business right now.

All I'm going to say is CM Punk.

@Booty Wyatt that had me rolling too.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
...from people saying RVD can put on 5-star matches to someone saying John Cena is one of the best in the business right now.

All I'm going to say is CM Punk.
Yes, because the Cena/Punk matches are great entirely because of Punk right? Cena had absolutely NOTHING to do with them right?

You can dislike Cena until the cows come home, I don't give a fuck, but to say he's not one of the best in the world is ludicrous. The only guys that I think are better than him in North America right now are Punk and Bryan.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Yes, because the Cena/Punk matches are great entirely because of Punk right? Cena had absolutely NOTHING to do with them right?

You can dislike Cena until the cows come home, I don't give a fuck, but to say he's not one of the best in the world is ludicrous. The only guys that I think are better than him in North America right now are Punk and Bryan.
I didn't say Cena has NOTHING to do with them. However Cena elevates his game when he gets in the ring with CM Punk. I can't name a single other match-up where I've particularly cared for John Cena's work. I think if he's not given a challenge he gets extremely lazy in the ring. I won't apology for this belief nor with I belittle my own opinion by responding to the allegation it's "ludicrous." I could list 20 North American talents I'd much rather see in the ring than John Cena. I'll grant you when he's in the ring with the right person he can surpass those 20, but he can't and doesn't do that on a nightly basis.

For the record though all I was saying is you implied he was THE best. And I was saying Punk was better.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I didn't say Cena has NOTHING to do with them. However Cena elevates his game when he gets in the ring with CM Punk. I can't name a single other matchup where I've partickurky cared for John Cena's work. I think if he's not given a challenge he gets extremelt lazy in the ring. I won't apology for this belief nor with I betlittle my own opinion by responding to the allegation it's "ludicrous." I could list 20 North American talents I'd much rather see in the main event than John Cena. I'll grant you you when he's in the ring with the right person he can surpass those 20 workers, but he can't and doesn't do that on a nightly basis.
That doesn't mean they're better wrestlers though, just that you would personally rather see them than Cena. I can agree with that, because I can probably name even more than 20, but I wouldn't consider any of those (outside of Bryan and Punk) BETTER than Cena as an overall wrestler.

As for other matches, how about the one with Lesnar at Extreme Rules, or the ones with Dolph? His matches with The Rock were both decent and even the Ryback ones have been takeable, not to mention his work against The Shield in the six-man. Hell, he had a match with Rey Mysterio on Raw for the WWE Title that was one of the best tv matches of the year, and that was just a year or two back.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
That doesn't mean they're better wrestlers though, just that you would personally rather see them than Cena. I can agree with that, because I can probably name even more than 20, but I wouldn't consider any of those (outside of Bryan and Punk) BETTER than Cena as an overall wrestler.

As for other matches, how about the one with Lesnar at Extreme Rules, or the ones with Dolph? His matches with The Rock were both decent and even the Ryback ones have been takeable, not to mention his work against The Shield in the six-man. Hell, he had a match with Rey Mysterio on Raw for the WWE Title that was one of the best tv matches of the year, and that was just a year or two back.
Debating over whether it's personal opinion or fact is never going to get us anywhere as I believe Angle is one of the best wrestlers ever and people of the IWC will tell my differently. Nonetheless I personally would rather see those wrestlers over John Cena because I believe them to be better overall wrestlers. The average John Cena match I can close my eyes and tell you exactly when he's going to hit all his spots and when he's going to make the comeback. It's like when I said during WM 29 I knew that the finish of the UT/Punk match was coming up in 5 seconds. Only Cena is that much more predictable. I'm glad you at least agree you could name 20 guys you'd rather see.

I backtracked a little at the end of my post in that I said Cena can produce a solid match with the right person. Lesnar was one of those people. Solid match that night. His matches with Dwayne I could take or leave. However if you thought they were spectacular, that still holds my point. Both were special case attractions that got Cena to work harder. His matches with Ryback however are the typical John Cena affairs IMO. I don't particularly see what was special about his work in the Shield tags either.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Debating over whether it's personal opinion or fact is never going to get us anywhere as I believe Angle is one of the best wrestlers ever and people of the IWC will tell my differently. Nonetheless I personally would rather see those wrestlers over John Cena because I believe them to be better overall wrestlers. The average John Cena match I can close my eyes and tell you exactly when he's going to hit all his spots and when he's going to make the comeback. It's like when I said during WM 29 I knew that the finish of the UT/Punk match was coming up in 5 seconds. Only Cena is that much more predictable. I'm glad you at least agree you could name 20 guys you'd rather see.
I also forgot to mention Austin Aries before, who is another wrestler that I think is better than Cena.

I've got no problem with Angle either, but he's just as predictable as Cena at this stage in his career. I love his matches, but they've essentially been the same for the last five years. He works a formula (just like Cena) but at least he does it to perfection (also just like Cena). For the record, we're in the same boat with liking people that a lot of people don't, I think Big Show is one of the best out there and a lot of people can't stand him.

I backtracked a little at the end of my post in that I said Cena can produce a solid match with the right person. Lesnar was one of those people. Solid match that night. His matches with Dwayne I could take or leave. However if you thought they were spectacular, that still holds my point. Both were special case attractions that got Cena to work harder. His matches with Ryback however are the typical John Cena affairs IMO. I don't particularly see what was special about his work in the Shield tags either.
Personally I thought Cena/Ryback LMS was better than Punk/Ryback, but that's just because I think Ryback matches up a little better with Cena. In the Shield tags, Cena did an admirable job making them look good and not attempting to hog the spotlight for himself. I felt the six-man at EC was the MOTN and that Cena was a big part of making it so. My point is, he's not raising his game just for his opponents, his game is always at a high level and the only time you see him dogging it is the occasional moment on television (the Tensai match comes to mind and even then he still put his opponent over).

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I also forgot to mention Austin Aries before, who is another wrestler that I think is better than Cena.
Agreed. Aries is far superior to Cena. So now we have st least four guys over him, despite you originally saying he was the best! ;)

I've got no problem with Angle either, but he's just as predictable as Cena at this stage in his career. I love his matches, but they've essentially been the same for the last five years. He works a formula (just like Cena) but at least he does it to perfection (also just like Cena). For the record, we're in the same boat with liking people that a lot of people don't, I think Big Show is one of the best out there and a lot of people can't stand him.
I'll grant you that Angle is no longer the pioneer he was a few years ago, but I have to go against you saying he has a formula like Cena. Angle does have a game plan, a series of spots and storytelling he must perform in every match, but he doesn't follow an exact routine like John Cena does. Following the same path as everyone else is boring, isn't it? I like Show. I think like Cena if he's motivated he can certainly go.

Personally I thought Cena/Ryback LMS was better than Punk/Ryback, but that's just because I think Ryback matches up a little better with Cena. In the Shield tags, Cena did an admirable job making them look good and not attempting to hog the spotlight for himself. I felt the six-man at EC was the MOTN and that Cena was a big part of making it so. My point is, he's not raising his game just for his opponents, his game is always at a high level and the only time you see him dogging it is the occasional moment on television (the Tensai match comes to mind and even then he still put his opponent over).
I don't personally find Ryback to be that good a worker so I'm not high on either but I do agree he seemed to gel better with Cena than Punk.

As for those other matches, I guess he did well enough getting the Shield over, but I don't feel he particularly excelled in the match nor would I say he was the MVP of that six-man. Even so Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins are gifted in the ring, almost ready to bust out into that CM Punk territory, so I can see them getting a solid match out of Cena. I still wouldn't give them high praise though. Not until I see a drag down brawl between Ambrose and Cena one-on-on on PPV! Now that's something I'd pay to see. Especially if it was for the WWE Championship.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Agreed. Aries is far superior to Cena. So now we have st least four guys over him, despite you originally saying he was the best!
I said he was "arguably" the best, which is why we're arguing now. :lol:

I'll grant you that Angle is no longer the pioneer he was a few years ago, but I have to go against you saying he has a formula like Cena. Angle does have a game plan, a series of spots and storytelling he must perform in every match, but he doesn't follow an exact routine like John Cena does.
Cena doesn't follow that exact routine either, he can change it up like he does in the Punk matches. Unless you're simply referring to his combination shoulderblocks into five knuckle shuffle thing, because yeah, that's annoyingly repetetive.

Even so Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins are gifted in the ring, almost ready to bust out into that CM Punk territory, so I can see them getting a solid match out of Cena. I still wouldn't give them high praise though. Not until I see a drag down brawl between Ambrose and Cena one-on-on on PPV! Now that's something I'd pay to see. Especially if it was for the WWE Championship.
Cena/Bryan seems almost a dead cert as well, and that'll be something to behold.