Rap fans, come in.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net

Is this tune a candidate for one of the best rap songs of all time? I know it being mainstream inevitably hinders its chances, since hardcore fans have such a fetish for hating mainstream, but if you look at the rhyme schemes and lyrics here, it has to be a candidate. I'm a known die hard Eminem mark though and he is in my opinion the greatest rapper ever (or in the top 4 with Nas, Biggie, and Pac), but I'm pretty confident this tune is up there with the best.

Wutcha' think?

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn't call Eminem the greatest rapper ever, but he's up there.
Top 10 for sure and yes, it's an awesome tune. You pumped for Ill Mind of Hopsin 6?

Laura

The Showoff
Reaction score
Is this tune a candidate for one of the best rap songs of all time?

It depends what you mean by "best." Till I Collapse might be in the top 100 of all time, but it's certainly not in the top 10, or even top 20.

It's not even one of Eminem's best. It's a solid song, but the subject matter is too superficial to be considered great. All he's basically saying (screaming) is that he's a good rapper and he's not going to stop being good. There's no deeper meaning to the song, no impact. It's just a song. A finely crafted song, but still...

But that's just IMO. I prefer Eminem's darker work. His darker songs have a nihilistic magic that can't be replicated on tracks like Till I Collapse.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
It's solid but I agree with some of the points Laura hit on. Nate Dogg on the hook definitely adds a ton though.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
I was hopipng content wouldn't be a factor in the debate. You can't really make a list of 10 all time greats without the content I know, but if you put it like that, songs without real deep meaning will never get there. I don't agree with that ideology. I think there are rap tunes with more meaning than this, more impact than this, and a better overall effect than this - immortal technique comes to mind - but they aren't executed as perfectly as this, and the genius behind it just isn't there. The lyricism in this is original as fuck. Eminem (with Lose Yourself as well) outdone himself and 99% of others in his era with the way he was coming up with the rhyme schemes.

I can not think of an Eminem song that's better than this, I'd love to hear one.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
IMO the GOAT Eminem song is Infinite, especially from a flow/rhyming point of view

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Tis' up there in a flow/rhyming point of view, but I don't think the delivery or flow is as good as this one. Though to be fair, he had more resources when he mad Till I Collapse, Infinite was pre-mainstream-success wasn't it? Still in my top 5 though.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Tis' up there in a flow/rhyming point of view, but I don't think the delivery or flow is as good as this one. Though to be fair, he had more resources when he mad Till I Collapse, Infinite was pre-mainstream-success wasn't it? Still in my top 5 though.

Yea it was before the SSLP

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
It's the voice, and the stupidity in most of his videos.