Professional Wrestling as a sport

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

wilsonblake556

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to this and I'm wondering if a lot of people treat professional wrestling as a sport. Now forget WWE and TNA. I'm talking about Ring of Honor, Pro Wrestling NOAH and other Japanese promotions.

I treat all of the matches in these promotions as a pure sport. When I watch TNA or WWE I treat it as entertainment. Or 'sports entertainment'. (I hate that word!) lol.

I'm just wondering if anyone else agrees with me on this. If not feel free to speak to me about your opinions.

Cheers, Sean.

Enigma22

Reaction score
its more entertainment to me... i usually just watch raw anyways...

CenaMark54

WTF...How is Ring of Honor any different from WWE or TNA?

Anyway, I don't consider pro wrestling a sport. It requires athletism and physical exertion, but it is by no means competitive.

Lets look at a definition of the word sport; "An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively."

Its not competitve and the rules are fake. Dancing with the Stars would be considered more of a sport than Pro wrestling regardless of what type of promotion.

Its strictly entertainment. Lets just say there is a movie about sports. Slap Shot for example; that movie is not a sport. Its just a bunch of guys acting out a script. Sure they are all athletic and most play hockey in real life, but it is not a sport, its a movie. I see wrestling the same way.

chessarmy

I hate wrestling promotions that try to make wrestling more like a sport. Thats the entire reason why I dont enjoy ROH, sure the matches are amazing but I am a Sports Entertainment fan, I want the storylines and the gimmicks, I think that is what makes wrestling entertaining. Ofcourse, there always is a limit (someone needs to tell Russo that)

Reaction score
pro wrestling being entertainment and scripted is what makes it entertaining.if it was a sport in the real sense the matches would be filled with submission holds,it would be boring and dean malenko would have been a multi times world champion.i don't mind pro wrestling as sports entertainment.

JC Punk

Reaction score
Wrestling is all real EXCEPT that it is scripted. But, they actually get injured and get put through tables.

MJ807

Reaction score
Wrestling is not a real sport a real sport needs competition. It is sports entertainment though but it is as much of a sport as a daytime soap opera. Yeah there is a lot of physicallity but all of it is predetermined.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Entertainment/Physical sport. Determing on the organization... I would leave it in the entertainment, yes it is physical, but it's like a movie.