OldJay's Japanese Wrestling Experience

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I have been a wrestling fan for as long as I can remember. That isn't hyperbole from me. A few of my earliest memories as a little kid were watching early WWE with my grandfather and uncle. I watched live the first Royal Rumble, the debut of the Undertaker, and at least the first 5 Wrestlemania's. Amongst that I have watched hours of wrestling beyond that. I will admit though, most of this has been the American wrestling companies. Sure I've watched some Japanese matches here and there. But I definitely have not watched more than a small amount, especially anything outside of NJPW.

Soooo, I kind of copied Sky's idea for this and have created a form with I will paste down below. BUT, this is where I need the rest of your help. I want to review Japanese wrestling matches. I want to do this because well I feel like it's almost a "new" set of eyes on a product that is touted for having so many good wrestling matches. Please make sure that I can find it is all I ask. I do have IWTV, but I'm not sure if it has any Japanese companies. I do also have the NJPW service which I'm not sure what all that has in the way of its library. But yeah, obviously if it's on Youtube it's definitely fair game. I'll review as quick as I can but I'll just say I doubt I'll be able to bump 10 of these out a day. So without further ado, click on the link and recommend.

OldJay's Japanese Wrestling Experience

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
I just started posting current Joshi and Puro full events in VIP if you want to check those out. That site has a ton of stuff on it.

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8

NOAH Navigate For Evolution 2003 - Tag 9 (01.03.2003)
GHC Heavyweight Title Match
Mitsuharu Misawa © vs. Kenta Kobashi

The match begins and we have a lock up and backed into the ropes. Even in the subtle moves of the two foes circling around each other and the very slow push forward to back his opponent into the ropes it already sells that these two are very cautious of each other, not wanting to fire first and miss with that shot.

Kenta lets the first backfist fly and the audible gasp from the crowd tells you with that the crowd thinks Kenta could have ended it all right there and then. After that the match speeds up a little bit and as Misawa reverses Kenta’s suplex into a cross body, as the two stand up to face each other Kenta didn’t expect Misawa to have answers for the two big moves he threw at him.

Now as they go back and forth with a few holds they get tangled up in an overhead wrist lock. As they try to gain the advantage it’s almost lke two bulls fighting. One older than the other, neither backing down as they use all the strength they have to win the prize. And just for a moment it’s almost as if the two bulls have their horns tangled up, maybe one never really gaining an advantage over the other.

As Misawa gains a slight advantage for a moment that moment is gone. Back and forth they go again and for a minute it looks like the younger bull is about to best the elder. With a suplex, Misawa once again gains the advantage nailing Kobashi with the first big move of the match, throwing him to the ground with a belly-to-back suplex. Kobashi sells this even better by rolling onto the floor and even rolling around on the floor for a little bit.

Then Misawa shows that even though he was able to get the best of Kobashi. He makes sure to show everyone that he knows there is still a long way before he can beat Kobashi. He does this by climbing to the top turnbuckle and blasts Kobashi with a splash, only to follow that up with a flipping senton onto the floor. And then Misawa delivers a top rope dropkick after he rolls Kobashi into the ring and then follows that up with a top rope splash. Showing that Misawa isn’t exactly desperate but he knows that going high risk and doing it early is his best way to win this high-reward match.

As Misawa next begins to work the arm of Kobashi. It is clear that Misaawa’s initial game plan was to hit the younger foe early and with big moves to hopefully end things quickly. But now with that early flurry out of the way the plan is to work on one point of the body.

Ten minutes and finally Kobashi is able to gain the upper hand. He hurts Misawa with a half-and-half suplex onto the floor. As Misawa lies on the floor and Kobashi rolls into the ring it plays out that the early gameplan from Misawa was exactly what he should have done as Kobashi begins to weld his strength around.

When Misawa gets back onto the apron Kobashi begins his attack with strong move after strong move. As the crowd begins to chant their hero's name, Kobashi beats him down, even more. He does not just to weaken his foe, but to also quelch the hope the crowd has for their hero.

Then Kobashi starts to throw strikes at Misawa. Trying to punish him enough that maybe he will just give up. But that’s when the hero knows he must dig deep down to overcome what is happening to him currently. They begin to go back and forth with strikes, moves, and submissions. Both stay with the other even as big moves, like suplex variations and power bombs, are delivered. Then as Misawa goes for a move from the second rope the momentum takes a big swing as Kobashi delivered a forearm to the back of his opponent's head, then he follows that up shortly with a big lariat that Misawa has no chance of avoiding. As Kobashi picks Misawa off of the mat it almost feels like it is game, set, match.

But no, their hero will not be denied as he blocks Kobashi’s attempts at a suplex only to deliver one of his own to the outside walkway. Then we see some crazy shit. It’s obvious to Misawa that he will either beat Kobashi or die trying, because of this thought he throws Kobashi to the floor from the walkway with an insane tiger suplex. As the two opponents lay there on the floor, no one in the arena is sure if either will make it back to their feet as the ref begins his count.

Both get in the ring to beat the count, but Misawa is quick to go for the cover. This has to be it, there is no way the young bull can….BUT he does…kick out at two. And as he does the crowd roars as it begins to feel like neither man is willing to give up. It is starting to feel like neither’s fighting spirit will die. Again Misawa delivers another big move to Kobashi, in the way of an Emerald Fusion and he hopes that this is enough. But it is not as Kobashi kicks out again.

Misawa tries to go for a powerbomb only for Kobashi to block his attempts. You can see that Misawa is using all of his might, all that he possibly has left to defeat his foe. Then as the two collide with clotheslines to each other and Kobashi drapes his arm over Misawa. This has to be it, no way Misawa has anything left, BUT NO, Misawa kicks out at two.

Kobashi gets to his feet, knowing he needs to end it. He knows what he needs to do to end it. He picks Misawa up and plants him with a soul crusher brain buster and victory is in h….NOT even close. Misawa kicks out, as he has shown early in the match, it is either death or victory for Misawa in this match.

As the two get to their feet with Kobashi first. He knows he is almost at his limit. With all of the power, Kobashi has left he hoists Misawa onto his shoulders. Kobashi then buries Misawa with a Burning Hammer. With the little strength he has left, Kobashi, drapes his arm over his opponent's chest as the ref counts to 3.

This match was great. Throughout the match the sheer power between the strikes and big moves it told the story that both wrestlers knew they needed to bring everything to the match. It also showed that both Kobashi and Misawa were willing to let everything out there on the mat. It wasn’t just for a title, it really was like two big bulls fighting over their territory. Not only did it tell a great tale in the match, but really the hard-hitting stuff just slapped. I really have nothing bad to say about this match, it was pretty flawless. With that said in the very important OJWE rating scale this match gets a ****¾ stars.

Could I give it a five, maybe, but I think it didn’t give me that absolutely "can’t miss" spectacular feeling that I have been given with some matches in my life.​

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
please give me feedback. This is obviously different than my CZW COD review style. I wasn't sure if this was too long or what.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Definitely not too long, the match itself was pretty long so it seems appropriate