Nikita Koloff discusses Vince, 4 Horsemen, Magnum T.A.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

W-olf

Reaction score
EWN

The Russian Nightmare" Nikita Koloff joined Busted Open with Dave Lagreca and Doug Mortman. You can hear Busted Open from 2-4 ET on Sirius 94, XM 208, and Sportszone 860 on the internet. Here are the highlights…

On Vince McMahon: "Well, truth be known. And it's always interesting in the world of wrestling what is said. I've had one conversation-brief conversation-two encounters with Vince McMahon. One encounter was actually in Las Vegas. In a gym. He happened to be in the same gym. We had a brief dialogue there, and then the second one was at Road Warrior Hawk's funeral where we had a brief conversation. I never discussed, or Vince never approached me, or the office never approached me to come to New York. Barry Darsow who had been our third-wheel once I turned on Don Kernodle. Barry tried to convince me, talk me into going to New York and become part of Demolition with him. And I said to Barry, I said "Barry, man, I've worked too hard on this camp for Nikita Koloff, developing this, to just go up there and just blend in with the crowd. But more important than even that, I know looking back, I probably could've made ten times the amount of money: one, if I'd went with him or just went to New York. I know I could've approached when Crockett started with the guaranteed contracts. It would've been very easy to leverage New York and say Look, I'm going to talk to them. Two things I realized: one, yeah, I would've been in the main event with Hulk Hogan, there's no question in my mind. But then secondly, what would my career have been after that? Probably not what it became. But most important to me, loyalty is a major component of who I am. I'm a very loyal individual. Still loyal fan of the Minnesota Vikings, the Minnesota Twins where I grew up, years removed from living in Minnesota. I'm a very loyal person. And so more than the money, the true story is I had a real sense of loyalty to Crockett Promotions, Jim Crockett in particular, for giving me my break. Because I didn't make the big millions and millions of bucks, but I made more money that I ever would've back home or maybe even in pro-football. And so that was the number one reason. And I'm sure most of the folks know, Steve-Sting-Steve Borden and myself are about the only two that have actually never worked for WWE and Vince McMahon. "

On WrestleReunion: "Anytime I get an opportunity; I like to say as some of my comrades have in the past of course I truly believe that wrestling fans are the most loyal and the best fans in the entire world. (I know it sounds kind of cliché-ish, but I really believe that.) You know, to be removed from wrestling as many years as I've been, and yet fans still willing to come out and seek autographs, and be able to shake their hands and take pictures is certainly a humbling thing and incredible blessing for me, so. To be a part of the Wrestle Reunion down in Miami -I'm looking forward to it. Not only to meet the fans but even some of my peers in the wrestling industry over the years. So, a great opportunity to reunite with them as well, so it's a reunion all the way around!"

On Four Horsemen: "Well-deserving, of course. Fast-forward a little bit when I made the switch, when I saw the lights went from bad-guy to good-guy.we became the "Superpowers, baby, yeeaaahhh! C'mon, baby, yeaaahhh! You understaaaannnnd what I'm saayyiiinnn', yeah!" [in Dusty Rhodes impression] But when Dusty tagged up as The Superpowers, boy! what a natural: The Superpowers and The Road Warriors against The Four Horsemen-oh my gosh!-we sold out arenas for eighteen months!"

On Magnum T.A.: "Magnum was a nemesis of mine at the time. Of course, probably the most talked-about events-there's many-the Best of Seven Series against Magnum TA. Unique matches, I don't know if they'd ever been done before and I don't know if it's actually ever been done since, a Best of 7 for a belt. With said, so we were nemeses at the time, and I was actually in Japan when he had the accident (on tour in Japan). When I came back, when Dusty and Jim (who was in Philadelphia) told me of the accident, I thought it was a rib. I thought Yea whatever. It took quite a bit of coaxing, really convincing, that it was a shoot and not a joke, not a rib, and once they did I was somewhat devastated by it of course. This guy I'm working with for months in the ring, and all off a sudden break his neck, paralyzed from the neck down was quite a moment. And then to say, We have an idea! (And the idea of course being Dusty in a match in a cage with a couple of the Four Horsemen with a "mystery partner", and then the whole "mystery" of that.) Many have told me it was one of the best-kept secrets ever in the history of wrestling, even among the boys in the business! Nobody knew until that night who was gonna be Dusty's partner, so, uh, quite a story, to say the least!"

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Re: Nakita Koloff discuses Vince , 4 Horsemen ,Magnum T.A

I usually prefer to hear from these lesser known guys, they can usually be more frank about things.

I figured Nikita got at least one offer from WWF somewhere along the line, but I didn't really think it would be to become a part of Demolition. Man, he could have really been a legend for the WWF. But at least he was able to become a legend for JCP and Mid-Atlantic, and that counts for something too, I guess.

W-olf

Reaction score

I'll always remember him as the SuperPowers and his fights with the horseman and Magnum T.A I can't say I'd remember him as part of Demolition .

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
He was a huge part of my childhood wrestling watching loved him in NWA

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3

I'll always remember him as the SuperPowers and his fights with the horseman and Magnum T.A I can't say I'd remember him as part of Demolition .

If you're capable of remembering him for the SuperPowers, you should be capable of remembering him as a part of Demolition. That is, if he ever became a part of them. You may not remember him as Nikita Koloff, but you'd remember him..

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

if he and Darsow did become Demolition they would have lasted much longer...and never needed Crush to join them...

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3

I'd definitely take Nikita over Bill Eadie any day of the week. I do wonder what they would have called him though. Ax was an original still, and of course Barry became Smash, and then Crush was added in... I'm guessing they would have added him to Ax and Smash in Crush's place had he agreed, because those two parts remained in tact for most of the run... they may have called him Crush, because Crush hadn't debuted yet and wasn't going by that name yet, but something tells me they would have given Nikita something that indicated his nationality, identifying him as one of the national symbols of Russia, like Hammer or Bear, or Bruin or something like that...

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

i think Darsow was saying come with him when he left at first...so maybe he would have replaced Eadie since Smash replaced the other guy....they would have been badass as fuck

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3

Well yeah, Darsow replaced one of The Moondogs who was playing Smash at the time. Eadie was the original and only Ax during the entire thing, unless I'm mistaken.

W-olf

Reaction score

Out of curiousity would they have been able to use Demolition then cuz didn't Eadie own the rights to the name Demolition at the time.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I doubt he owned the name.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

W-olf

Reaction score

I thought I read it somewhere I know he and wwe went to court about it .

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3

Well, regardless, I doubt he's have any jurisdiction over the use of the name.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
That was an interesting read. He is another wrestler I had forgotten about over the years.