New ownership for the NWA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
C-wLbMJXoAIxoZJ.jpg

....Well then

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Interesting! I thought NWA was defunct? Does it still have shows/etc in the US indy scene?

Stopspot

Reaction score
Interesting! I thought NWA was defunct? Does it still have shows/etc in the US indy scene?
Yeah. Like before it is a series of independent promotions all over the country (and world) operating under the bigger NWA banner. They've paid membership fees and have to book the world, world tag and junior heavyweight champions. But they also get to have a NWA regional/promotional belt and the NWA helps promote them.

Granted it is a much much smaller operation than what it once was.

New Japan were their Japanese partner up until 2015, but the relationship was very much in new japan's favor.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Yeah. Like before it is a series of independent promotions all over the country (and world) operating under the bigger NWA banner. They've paid membership fees and have to book the world, world tag and junior heavyweight champions. But they also get to have a NWA regional/promotional belt and the NWA helps promote them.

Granted it is a much much smaller operation than what it once was.

New Japan were their Japanese partner up until 2015, but the relationship was very much in new japan's favor.
Pretty much like the RoH NJPW relationship now then?

So with Corgan buying rights to NWA and such, he now is the single owner of that 'association' as in membership fees and all that go to him? Is it viable for NWA to run its own show ala impact?

Stopspot

Reaction score
Pretty much like the RoH NJPW relationship now then?

So with Corgan buying rights to NWA and such, he now is the single owner of that 'association' as in membership fees and all that go to him? Is it viable for NWA to run its own show ala impact?
1. Very much so but even more so. Kojima and Tenzan had NWA world title reigns and Liger was Jr champ for a while as well. At least ROH has not had much of that outside of the Ishii TV title run.

2. Yeah, once the sale goes through he will be the president of the NWA and membership fees goes to him. I assume that his end goal is a stand alone NWA show as well.

Reactions: Aids Johnson

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I do find this quite interesting. I've been following a couple NWA promotions for a while. I was a huge fan of NWA Southern All Star Wrestling, which is now known as NWA Inferno. That's where I became a fan of Nicky Iggy and Kerry Awful, who are now a tag team called the Carnies. I loved watching the show at 11PM Sunday nights because it reminded me of wrestling when I was younger.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what Corgan will do with this, since he purchased ownership of the umbrella organization and not any of the member promotions.

Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

Stopspot

Reaction score
I do find this quite interesting. I've been following a couple NWA promotions for a while. I was a huge fan of NWA Southern All Star Wrestling, which is now known as NWA Inferno. That's where I became a fan of Nicky Iggy and Kerry Awful, who are now a tag team called the Carnies. I loved watching the show at 11PM Sunday nights because it reminded me of wrestling when I was younger.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what Corgan will do with this, since he purchased ownership of the umbrella organization and not any of the member promotions.
Another big question is if he bought the video archive as well, and what he does with that.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Another big question is if he bought the video archive as well, and what he does with that.

Good point. Honestly, I have some high hopes for this. I mean, Corgan obviously wants to be involved in pro wrestling. He's got decent money and probably quite a few connections in the entertainment industry. I could see him doing something similar to what the NWA did with Jim Crockett Promotions. Pick a member promotion and try to get it national exposure and have the belts mainly involved with that promotion. Possibly have them featured on the streaming service.

I am pretty curious what he'll do.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Wow all the NWA Affiliated shows on tape, that has to be a goldmine from the golden age of wrestling.

Well, if I am not mistaken, everything except Jim Crockett Promotions since WWE owns that. All that 1980's NWA stuff with Flair is JCP/WCW, so he wouldn't have any of that.

Stopspot

Reaction score
If it was me I would try to set up some form of deal to broadcast 1 show a month from the bigger NWA affiliates per month, try and set up some form of NWA prime broadcast with the major belts and top stars from the affiliates. And then some form of "this month in NWA" type show with matches from all over the world.

Granted that would take some time and money, but Corgan has both

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I thought Billy Corgan would have disppeared after the whole TNA debacle, but looks like he's doing pretty well for himself.

Owning NWA is a good move even for him. Whoever owns NWA has an easier path to success given how prestigious it was, even though the relevance doesn't exist At The Moment (ATM). It's cheaper to buy a dying brand, than to buy a brand like TNA or WWE today.

Now all Corgan has to do is bring the heavy hitters. That's all.