Microsoft to Shut Down Xbox 360 Store & Marketplace in 2024

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

It’s the end of an era: Microsoft is officially planning to shut down the Xbox 360 Store and the Xbox 360 Marketplace. While certainly sad news, it might not be necessarily surprising: The Xbox Games Store launched with the console back in 2005, the same year YouTube started. It was a different world. Now, with the Xbox two generations ahead, it’s time to close the 360's digital shop.

But don’t mourn the Xbox 360 Store and Marketplace just yet—Microsoft isn’t closing these stores until July 29, 2024. That means you have almost a year from this announcement to buy as many digital games as you want for your Xbox 360. That’s a good amount of notice, and it’s a great run for these stores, coming in at just shy of 19 years.

Nintendo closed the 3DS and Wii U eShops earlier this year, and closed the Wii Shop back in 2019. The PS3 and Vita stores are still up and running, but only just, as Sony forces you to use preloaded funds on the console itself. For the next 11 months, you can continue buying games from the Xbox 360 Store and Marketplace as always.

But July 29, 2024 isn’t the Xbox 360's official retirement or anything. Even when Microsoft shuts down the digital store, you’ll be able to download any and all past purchases—no need to scramble to download everything you’ve ever bought from the service. Plus, online services will still be up and running. So long as a game’s servers are still active, you can continue playing online with friends and strangers alike. Game developers can even issue updates for games, should they come up.

Backwards-compatible content also lives on. Even if the game is for Xbox 360 or the Original Xbox, you can purchase and download backwards compatible content on Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and xbox.com. Any available account balance or unused gift cards can be used through your Microsoft account, microsoft.com, or Xbox One or Xbox Series X/S past July 24. That said, game codes will not work after this date, so use them up before then.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Mean, everyone should have known this was going to happen given the age of the system

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
I unforunately had really bad luck with 360 consoles, went through several of them, but even so it still remains probably my favourite console after the PS2

It shaped so many of my fondest gaming memories, I still think Halo 3 is one of the best shooters ever made and the custom games were incredible

Xbox Live in it's inception was just like unlike anything else out there, I loved the uniqueness of it, the achievements, the dashboard, community etc

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Xbox Live in it's inception was just like unlike anything else out there, I loved the uniqueness of it, the achievements, the dashboard, community etc
It is also where people found out who their mom or even dad has been sleeping with

• Haha

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
It is also where people found out who their mom or even dad has been sleeping with
I really wish I had access to some of those old messages because I had some absolute gems from that era

I remember when they used to send voice messages too, and that's when you knew they were really heated :lol

• Haha
Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Everybody using voice chat in games like Halo and COD was so good, sometimes I'd just sit back and listen to people getting in to massive arguments

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I really wish I had access to some of those old messages because I had some absolute gems from that era

I remember when they used to send voice messages too, and that's when you knew they were really heated :lol
If you got a voice message from someone using a low grade mic and headset then you knew you made it lol