Killz Previews and Picks WWE: Night of Champions

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Killz

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages; I’ve always loved Road Dogg and Billy Gunn. Regardless, life is a pain in the ass. The early twenties is a strange time, I’ve spent most of this past year mourning in one way or another and drinking the rest of the time. Not once though has my love for this business and this sport waned so as I return from under the rock I’ve been residing in to seek peer approval once more I return to the only place I can actually talk about this stuff. Watching Raw at 1am alone and then not being able to discuss it anywhere is a drag. So, with my PPV picks at a rough 30/70 split AGAINST I figured I should try and redeem my booking credibility and say hello again at the same time. I’m going to preview and pick WWE: Night Of Champions!

200px-WWE_Night_Of_Champion_Official_Poster.jpg

There he is, John Cena. He is your poster boy, on the poster no less, and the most polarising superstar of our time. He is your torch bearer. He is, for the most part however, NOT your champion. The dynamic going into this pay-per-view is interesting. All the money is on the main event, as it should be, with no Triple H or Brock Lesnar or the Rock sideshow and it’s a game of wait and see in terms of whether that will be for better or for worse both in terms of product and buyrate. I expect a solid buyrate with Cena in the main event but the drop off for a product sans Hunter, Brock and Rocky might rear its head as the year closes out. Now, onto the matches and my picks!

20120910_EP_LIGHT_NOC_preshow_battleroyal_C1.jpg

Interesting use of the pre-show this month and I think it’s something that would have attracted more viewers had it been set up earlier and with more pertinence to the title scene. As it stands, challengers could really be anyone. Cesaro himself has called out certain characters such as Brodus Clay and Tyson Kidd given their recent encounter. Santino Marella is also a possibility as a crowd favourite and given the fact they’ve been feuding as of late. My pick however is Ryback. Even though Ryback nearly broke Jack Swagger recently on Raw I think the big man fetish is far from being completely eradicated. I must stress I don’t actually think Cesaro’s reign will be cut short, I think Ryback takes his first loss by hook or by crook and his character actually develops. BOLD PREDICTION BUDDY.

Winner: RYBACK – FEED HIM CHAMPIONSHIPS AND PEOPLE’S NECKS.

201208230_EP_LIGHT_NOC_kaitlyn-layla_C-homepage.jpg

This match is sort of interesting…in a way. I mean it’s not fundamentally or traditionally interesting because Layla is LOST as a face and Kaitlyn is nowhere near that “level†required to be contending. If this is a clean match, start to finish, with no turn or interruption I will be surprised. More than that I would be disappointed because something needs to happen to hook people into some diva characters. Be it Kaitlyn as an underdog champ or something, Layla turning heel as is her best style or the Eve character on the sidelines, something needs to happen. As it goes, I’ll stick with Layla retaining.

Winner: LAYLA – CONTINUING TO DELIVER ON THE STILTED, UNINTERESTING AND THROWAWAY DIVISION.

20120910_EP_LIGHT_NOC_Tag_Match_HOMEPAGE.jpg

This match is a real sleeper to steal the show because of the dynamic between Bryan and Kane. Hey, who am I to break from the crowd, this story is hilarious. Has it got legs? I’d be VERY wary because I think as more time passes the more it shows how easily Bryan could hang at the top but as it happens, with Punk doing his thing, there couldn’t be a better way to showcase the entertainment skills of these two superstars. Coupled with Truth and his lil Jimmy shtick I expect this to be a character-spot heavy match. If they did want to break it down and actually tag-team wrestle however the guys are more than capable. Kane can catch those more athletic guys no problem. I will enjoy this.

Winners (and NEW champions): TEAM FRIENDSHIP IN A DECISION THAT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE AND WILL PROBABLY DRAW FOR LULZ.

20120907_EP_LIGHT_NOC-Matches_Orton-Ziggler_C-homepage.jpg

Now then. I LOVE Ziggler. A while back Albo was questioning my sexuality and if anything I’ve strayed closer to that line because this guy has it ALL. He is a complete superstar and short of breaking Orton’s collarbone in this mitch Ziggler is on his way to the top. The interesting dynamic here is, again, the money in the bank briefcase. It’s been said that the World Title match will happen prior, perhaps opening the show, and thus any cash-in would make this match a World Title match itself…I’m not sure though because I’ve been missing SD! and there’s no mention on WWE.com. If I’m told otherwise I will amend this! Do they want to push Ziggler? Having him leave with a win over Orton, or even with the title, will certainly help the guy but with heels potentially winning further up the card will they give Orton his usual ‘win-out-of-nowhere’ moment to pump the crowd? I’m not sure about this one. I know what I WANT to see but I never trust WWE to give Orton a proper definitive loss. Having said that I believe Orton may be on his way out to film something for WWE studios later this year (correct me if I’m wrong) so I’m going to go BOLD PREDICTION BUDDY.

Winner:
ZIGGLER BY DQ OR SOMETHING PLUS HE LEAVES NOC AS WHC

20120824_LIGHT_NOC_sheamus_delrio_C_homepage.jpg

*Sigh* I’m tired of this. Del Rio’s character has stagnated BIG time for me. Partly language barriers, partly not being given enough big wins, partly his injury, whatever. The fact is Del Rio isn’t doing it for me anymore and seeing Sheamus continually trade blows with him is tiring. Thus, I think this isn’t some blow-off to the feud, I think this is a set-up for something bigger regarding Ziggler. I could be way off, I’m putting my neck on the line with these predictions, but I expect Del Rio’s luck to continue to suck (rhyme, unintentional). I expect Del Rio to finally capitalize BIG time on a Rodriguez interference and become World Heavyweight Champion! All in time for Dolph Ziggler to come out and take his title. This pick still counts if ADR wins and Dolph doesn’t cash-in though ;)

Winner: IT’S HIS DESTINY DAMN IT, STOP LAUGING.

20120907_EP_LIGHT_NOC_Fatal_4_Way_HOMEPAGE.jpg

I’m really excited for this match, even though it’s a fatal four way, simply because I love what these guys have been doing as of late. Cody, as much as Dolph, is pure money for me and a superstar. Next big champion I think. His interactions with Mysterio and Sin Cara have sort of birthed this match with the wildcard, oddly, being the champion himself. I have been BEYOND impressed with the Miz since he won the IC title and whilst I think the design suits Rhodes much better I’d like the Miz to retain and continue his return to form. I really don’t know what will happen with the finish to this match and where it’s going after this. Perhaps nowhere and the Cody/mask scenario will play out at a latter PPV but even if this is just filler I’ll enjoy the dynamic.

Winner: THE MIZ BECAUSE HE’S AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTUALLY IMPROVING AND ALTERING HIS LOOK AND CHARACTER INTO SOMETHING I CAN GET BEHIND.

20120822_EP_LIGHT_NOC-Matches_cenapunk_C-homepage1.jpg

The money match. This is where the autumn/fall and into new year is made or broken for me personally in terms of buying PPV’s. I happen to be in a bit of money so I will be purchasing this PPV. First one not acquired through nefarious means in a couple of months though, take that for what you will. Regardless, in this match I believe the key figure is Cena. It’s ironic because this is all built around Punk demanding respect and the spotlight for what he has done and the champion that he is but it is Cena who is key. The most badass factor in this match is Punk’s reign and his alignment with Heyman but the real money and draw is in Cena. If, not far shy from The Rocks inexplicable title shot, Cena were to LOSE and actually show something more than his usual comedy shtick afterwards then he will draw big building into winter. Punk should retain because his quest continuing alongside Heyman adds intrigue to the fact that Cena lost. Having said all that, the image in my head of a Punk pursuit of the gold to de-rail Rock and Cena II at the Rumble and spoiling it by winning the title and facing Rock instead at ‘the last minute’ so to speak is another compelling idea from my bank of booking ideas. Regardless, I expect this match to deliver and the crowd, I expect, is going to really make this match.

Winner: PAUL HEYMAN W/ CM PUNK <3

This PPV is one of those, much like Money in the Bank last year, where it doesn’t actually even matter what comes before: everything WWE want from kids viewership all the way to IWC appeasement will be delivered in the main event. Come for Punk, stay for the likes of Dolph and Cody and Miz showing WHY they will continue to be ready to carry the company.

Quick extra word to say mad respect to the King this past week, way to no sell a heart attack.

Attachments

• 20120822_EP_LIGHT_NOC-Matches_cenapunk_C-homepage1.jpg
    20120822_EP_LIGHT_NOC-Matches_cenapunk_C-homepage1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20120907_EP_LIGHT_NOC_Fatal_4_Way_HOMEPAGE.jpg
    20120907_EP_LIGHT_NOC_Fatal_4_Way_HOMEPAGE.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 13

Chris Dresdon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Great stuff bud, I've certainly missed seeing you around. I hope things have worked themselves out in your life. Only pick that we don't share is the battle royal, I haven't decided who I think will win that.

Killz

Reaction score
Cheers fellas, missed being around tbh. Thanks for those sentiments Dred. Tbh the battle royal is completely up in the air. In the vain of giving those big mega push guys the shot Brodus would make sense as much as anyone and then there's a wealth of mid/low card talent that are "deserving" and even the Christian wildcard so we'll wait and see.

Pete

Reaction score
*Begins reading* Who's this guy trying to impress with the big words? Amateur.

*Continues reading* Hmmm, great read...and this guy's not just your usual IWC member.

In short, good job buddy :D You made it interesting, even for someone who follows the product as peripherally as me.

PS: Sheamus sucks.

Killz

Reaction score
Haha thanks man! I've done a couple of these before but as I'm back on a more permanent basis I'll likely do it for every pay-per-view.

I agree to a point that Sheamus sucks. There's a few current talents that are getting exposure, to my great frustration, ahead of a number of other guys. I see zero reason why Sheamus is more marketable than McIntyre. I think McIntyre could make the company the money Sheamus can and he's a much better worker. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback and for not picking up on the fact my already SHOCKING 'picks' record got worse with this ppv...

Pete

Reaction score
Haha, I didn't watch it. I haven't watched WWE for years, aside from the odd match or video recap.

You say McIntyre, I say Justin Gabriel (agreed, needs mic work, but still), Cody Rhodes, Dolph (hopefully, it's his time), Evan Bourne, Koffi...

....yup, I'm infamous for being the kind of smark who likes the 'flippy-floppy small guys' (and hates Triple H). I'm not a Cena hater though.

From a writer's point of view, maybe cut back on the big flashy words, because you prove further on that you write a compelling 'story' without them. I was guilty of that too (and still am at times), so I know what I'm talking about ;)

Killz

Reaction score
Ah see in my head I was sort of conceding that Rhodes and Dolph are already there or thereabouts. I'd agree with the likes of Kofi and Gabriel both deserving so much more and also being able to work better to their style. I think Dolph and Rhodes really have the best of both worlds i.e. having athleticism but also the traits WWE like to push. In fact in Rhodes case, being a bit smaller and lacking 'the look', I think he's done an exceptional job to get the crowd reaction to maintain his push. Hennig and DiBiase both failed to do so with a more traditional 'look'.

What's crazy too, and I might catch flack for this, is that there's guys like Alex Riley and JTG with NOTHING going for them who could easily get the crowd behind them in various roles and are comfortable in the ring. I know the business needs jobbers but still.

Thanks for the feedback there man. I tend to write quite organically with as few drafts as possible so I end up writing in the same way I talk; like a pretentious asshole :D but I'll keep it in mind when I do my next coloumn, cheers.

Pete

Reaction score
Well said. JTG was over with Cryme Tyme, but for some reason, once tag teams get split, unless it's a freak occurrence (Shawn Michaels) or some big-name 'celebrity' team (ShowKane, ShowMiz), the wrestlers tend to fade out quicker than John Cena's rapping career.

Agreed about Cody and Zig already "kinda being there", but they're not there-there. They're not there like Sheamus is 'there', or Orton, or Punk, or Cena. Heck, Ziggler deserves kudos merely for having survived the career-killing Spirit Squad gimmick, and clawed his way back to the top on the back of great ring work, a humble attitude, and an ability and willingness to 'sell'. Plus he's got 'The Look', so I have no idea why it took this long for him to make it to where he is. Under normal circumstances, he should have had a Sheamus-style instapush, and be holding a belt within three months of arriving at the company, like they did for Ant-Pasty