Killz Previews and Picks the Survivor Series!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Killz

Reaction score
Come at me, Survivor Series…

Survivorseries2012poster.jpg

Ladies and Gents, boys and girls and the eclectic mix of personalities that grace this here forum it is time for Killz, wrestling poster and 3 time columnist of the month award winner, to preview and pick the pay-per-view offering from WWE. This month it’s the Fall Classic, the Survivor Series, and we have one hell of a…sort of half booked, interchangeable, no-one knows what’s really going on, show for you! Just a quick note on the old picks, I did ok last time out! A half decent showing means my score is now in the positive! My record is currently:

Correct – 6
Draws – 1
Wrong – 5

Now let’s get to it.

20121112_EP_LIGHT_SurvivorSeries_Divas_Match_HOMEPAGE.jpg

Bottom of the card for you divas! Sorry ladies but seriously, what is going on with Kaitlyn’s thighs? I like a thick thigh but she is ridiculous. I can never fathom the attraction factor when women are all muscle. I get toned, Eve is hot as hell, but Kaitlyn just looks odd. Bless her heart. Without actually addressing the whole injury angle from over a month ago there is no real payoff for Kaitlyn winning the title here. She needs a strong showing but Eve really should walk away with the gold, that’s where the money is...that’s where the intrigue….that’s….well her reigns only just started basically, whether it’s good for the division or the company or not is a debate that rages through the whole women’s division. I wish I had more to say about this…Layla has fallen completely out of favour even though her promos to do with her mother’s cancer battle and unfortunate passing make her the more obvious sympathetic face. Everyone wanted her to win. Still, some fresh competition isn’t always bad. I want AJ with the title before too long to be honest.

Killz Pick: Eve “"classy"†Torres!

20121112_EP_LIGHT_Cesaro_Truth_Match_HOMEPAGE.jpg

Cesaro is unquestionably the man. I find him hilarious on the mic and on twitter and any time he gets to speak. I love it even more when US champions actually acknowledge the fact it’s called the United States championship. Be it to promote the US of A or to run it down it adds another element and depth to it. I like that this title is being defended on PPV but the build has been pretty weak in my opinion. I’m not going to lie to you guys I can’t remember why Truth is getting this shot or why he’s the best mid-card choice to be honest with you…maybe because they haven’t got anyone else? Truth’s best work of recent memory was that smoking heel character and that ending was the one of the worst things to happen to this career. His hooks since have been based on faux mental instability and other comedy shtick which makes him about as credible a contender as the Gobbledy Gooker…or any incarnation of Hector Guerrero’s wrestling gimmicks actually. In the ring I expect this to be a decent to slow match in all honesty. R-Truth really tries to get his staple moves over but they are as tired and lame as his gimmick to be quite honest. Cesaro has some hard hitting, fun to watch, unique offense but isn’t an overly quick or high flying performer so I’m setting the bar extremely low in the hopes that I will be pleasantly surprised.

Killz Choisir: die US meister, Antonio “la persona neutralizzante†Cesaro! (I totally took GCSE’s in all these languages and an advanced level in Italian. I still will have got plenty wrong.)

20121031_EP_LIGHT_SurvivorSeries_Big_Show_Sheamus_HOMEPAGE.jpg

Now don’t get me wrong, Show, you made me eat my words and put on a hell of an entertaining match with Sheamus last month at Hell in a Cell. It was slow but it was brutal, it was powerful and Sheamus was the perfect foil to your plodding giant style. I hope these guys find a way to do something similar but different which is oxymoronous I know but the match needs those hard-hitting finishers and those near falls like last month; it just can’t do a carbon copy. There hasn’t been much more build as such apart from more physical/verbal confrontation about fighting and Sheamus winning his title back and I’m glad they’ve kept it simple for two reasons. The first is that it likely means they might push to squeeze a third PPV match out of the feud and then drop it or just drop it after Survivor Series. The second reason is this really didn’t need the gimmicks. It probably makes them wish they could back in time and get rid of that stupid punching bag game they had on Smackdown. They NOW have the license to just go out and leave it all in the ring because they proved the doubters wrong and had one of the matches of the night at Hell in a Cell. I don’t like Sheamus as corny face champ but this new found intensity I’m really on board with. On the off-chance though they’d just turn him back if he got the title again, when the more sensible option is for him to retain this intensity and take the gold at TLC to protect Show, I’m going to hope for and predict that Big Show retains and carries on doing the great promo work he has shown this past couple of months.

Killz Pick: Paul “the extra character slot in WWE 13 really is unnecessary†Wight!

20121113_EP_LIGHT_SurvivorSeries_match_teamfoleyziggler_C.jpg

Strap in, I’ve got a bit to say about this match. This is a really tough match to call because it depends if any alignment turns are scheduled to take place really. Now that this is a midcard bout the outcome doesn’t matter as much and thus is harder to call. Might bullet point it by superstar/scenario:

• Firstly, love the call that was made to scrap Punk heading into this match. Would have preferred it never having been booked in the first place but sure. Giving Ziggler the captaincy is another step in the right direction with his character and now we can focus on the mid-card feuds instead of building to Punk vs Ryback confrontations within the match.
• Foley has been pretty good on the mic in recent weeks and I’m glad he’s not wrestling in this match but the trouble is his being there is now…irrelevant. He was going to teach Punk respect. Now he’s…just anti-company heels? It doesn’t make sense but I like Foley on my TV.
• I love the Miz as the tweener in this match, I think he’s got legs as a face if they give him credible opponents. I’d put him over Del Rio and then over guys like Big Show up in that Smackdown main event scene. He can wrestle Wade Barrett, he can wrestle Dolph, he can wrestle Punk. There’s options.
• The filler stars are interesting too. Orton wants to go heel so does he do it here? Ready made feud for Kofi or Miz if he does. Tag-title situation remains interesting, you’d expect if Cody is healthy for him or Sandow to pin team Friendship to earn another shot but what happens if Cody isn’t healthy? I can’t think of a replacement really unless they bring in someone like Mark Henry or Christian if they’re healthy. Lot’s of intrigue and lots to think about.

Killz Pick: Team Ziggler. Orton turns. Miz turns. Ziggler goes over.

20121105_EP_LIGHT_SurvivorSeries_match-cena-punk-ryback_C-homepage.jpg

It’s main event time! This has come about because Ryback is obviously deserving of a rematch after the screwy finish last month and John Cena…well he didn’t actually do anything until he pinned Punk this week after he was already in the match…I guess like Rocky, Cena just demands title shots these days even when he’s embroiled in a ‘scandal’ that would see most in a professional environment suspended whilst the investigation takes place! Instead you create a scenario where someone who COULD be having some sort of affair is your champ. Plus Vickie is fat again. Be a star.

So that’s Cena’s random placement but what about the Ryback problem? I call it a problem because he’s had some intense stares, a squash of JTG and this whole Maddox thing which was sort of weird and feels out of place if the reports are true that it’s to be dropped for months…I can’t quite buy that but we’ll see. Add that to the fact he’s technically been dealt his first loss however dodgy the finish was at Hell in a Cell and you’ve got a conundrum. There’s no way Ryback should win this so how do you protect him? Lucky you went and booked a triple threat really and with all things considered it starts to make sense from a booking standpoint. Let’s say Punk retains by pinning Cena. Follow up on the last couple Raws and feed Cena to Ryback for a gimmick match at TLC whilst Punk finishes his work with Foley in some sort of match. With me? Then you give Punk Rocky at the Rumble which, as well as Cena and Ryback being in the Rumble perhaps, will sell the show. That way you can work your way towards Cena/Rock/Punk at Wrestlemania and you sort of keep Ryback strong…sort of. Ryback’s push has come at a really awkward time so close to Dwayne’s guaranteed title match and the road to Wrestlemania. With Punk and Cena and Rock all in the same place there hardly seems room for Ryback but we’ll see.

As you can tell I’m pulling for Punk again just because anything less than making it to the Rumble seems like a ridiculous decision. I don’t think you gain anything or pop a rating for either Ryback or Cena winning the belt at this point and it veers plans too askew heading towards the Rock’s return.

Killz Pick: CPR Punk!

Final Thoughts: They’re selling this show on the continued WWE title picture intrigue and the vague character intrigue in the 5 v 5 match. I’m not saying other matches won’t be good but they’re not going to be draws. For that I’m disappointed because the build for the 5v5 was stunted because of the rebooking so it’s not carrying much weight. I expect an impromptu tag match to be booked simply because as far as I’m aware Mysterio and Cara aren’t on the card? I know ‘Co-Bro’ are facing someone on the pre-show but there’s the Uso’s, the PTP’s, Kidd and Gabrial, the Colon’s all able to be used for Cara and Mysterio to go over and make the crowd happy. I will look forward the WWE title match as ever but otherwise this card is lacking. NO TITLE CHANGES! Peace.

Attachments

• 20121105_EP_LIGHT_SurvivorSeries_match-cena-punk-ryback_C-homepage.jpg
    20121105_EP_LIGHT_SurvivorSeries_match-cena-punk-ryback_C-homepage.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 11

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Yet another great column, Killa. This feature is one of my favourite features on here these days.

Agree with most of what you said (aside from the anti-Rocky title shot undertones :p). You've been pretty damn accurate with your picks thus far.

Killz

Reaction score
YES! COMMENT! Haha thanks man, I do intend to make it a regular feature because it helps keep the section alive, you know how it is.

I'd be pro-Rocky title shot if it made sense for FUTURE $$$ as well as immediate $$$.

Yeah I'd say I'm going to do alright with these picks at SurSer ;)

Chris Dresdon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Correct about the entire card, well done and another great article. Miz and Orton didn't turn but you were still right about the result so it counts. Looking forward to the TLC edition already.