JR's 1996 Heel Turn great idea right?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Speculation? It was so blatantly obvious this wasn't going anywhere, or end up with a payoff that it was basically subtitled "Russo kayfabe" Who was just beginning to write the shows.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
To sum up this thread. JR's heel turn did nothing(except keep Glen Jacobs employed)

To sum up this thread you are a narrow minded fool, don't talk down to me just because you don't agree with my views.

deezy I don't think Russio was the head writer at that time, he may have been on the booking squad, but I don't think he had the same amount of say as during the attiude era.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
To sum up this thread you are a narrow minded fool, don't talk down to me just because you don't agree with my views.

deezy I don't think Russio was the head writer at that time, he may have been on the booking squad, but I don't think he had the same amount of say as during the attiude era.

To sum up your sum up "disagree and I'll label you."

Russo was beginning to write for non-wrestling segments in 96, it wasn't until late 97 that he started booking angles with Patterson and Brisco. JR was a non wrestling character, so he got Russo scripting him shit because Vince McMahon wanted to torture a wrestling fan for being a fan.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score

Are you the only person posting in this thread? or are you just so self centered that every post must be about you?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
To sum up your sum up "disagree and I'll label you."

Russo was beginning to write for non-wrestling segments in 96, it wasn't until late 97 that he started booking angles with Patterson and Brisco. JR was a non wrestling character, so he got Russo scripting him shit because Vince McMahon wanted to torture a wrestling fan for being a fan.

But thats my point JR actually got to insult Vince on-air and make fun of his poor commentry, so unlike his 99 heel turn I fail to see how this was WWF sticking the boot into him.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
But thats my point JR actually got to insult Vince on-air and make fun of his poor commentry, so unlike his 99 heel turn I fail to see how this was WWF sticking the boot into him.

Just because he got to take some personal jabs at his boss doesn't make it a good angle. It didn't add anything to the commentary and took attention away from the matches.

Grumpy commentators never work, didn't work for Joey Styles, Coachmen, Michael Cole and damn sure didn't work for Jim Ross.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Just because he got to take some personal jabs at his boss doesn't make it a good angle. It didn't add anything to the commentary and took attention away from the matches.

Grumpy commentators never work, didn't work for Joey Styles, Coachmen, Michael Cole and damn sure didn't work for Jim Ross.

Oh come on the Coach was gold as a heel! As a face he was just a bland 80s style disc jockey type.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Coachmen the snivelling kiss ass lackey to Eric Bischoff was a character that wasn't on commentary. Him and Al Snow trying to take JR and Lawler's jobs was a fucking abortion. And didn't work, much like how heel JR didn't work.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

Gonna have to disagree with that. JBL pulled it off marvelously. Some would say Heenan did too, even though I was never a fan of Heenan's commentary.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Gonna have to disagree with that. JBL pulled it off marvelously. Some would say Heenan did too, even though I was never a fan of Heenan's commentary.

JBL and Heenan were heel commentators who sided with the heels in a match, and giving them excuses form dirty deeds and calling out hypocrisies of the straight men calling the action, they added alot to the matches. I was more talking about the commentators who were just bitching about their jobs and arguing for no real reason.

Coach and Snow would bitch about not being on Raw, which made a once good show in Sunday Night Heat not worth watching because everytime I wanted my Raven fix, those fuckheads would rather bitch about being on Heat.

REmember the clusterfuck commentary on ECW vs. WWE special of 06? Can anyone actually remember the good matches of RVD/ Mysterio or Cena/Sabu? I for one can't, because Joey Styles and Tazz would rather bark back and forth with Jerry Lawler. Ands thats how the first few months of ECW were.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
JBL and Heenan were heel commentators who sided with the heels in a match, and giving them excuses form dirty deeds and calling out hypocrisies of the straight men calling the action, they added alot to the matches. I was more talking about the commentators who were just bitching about their jobs and arguing for no real reason.

Coach and Snow would bitch about not being on Raw, which made a once good show in Sunday Night Heat not worth watching because everytime I wanted my Raven fix, those fuckheads would rather bitch about being on Heat.

REmember the clusterfuck commentary on ECW vs. WWE special of 06? Can anyone actually remember the good matches of RVD/ Mysterio or Cena/Sabu? I for one can't, because Joey Styles and Tazz would rather bark back and forth with Jerry Lawler. Ands thats how the first few months of ECW were.

Snow/Coachman were a b-rate team, but I still found Coach's heel character entertaining. Thought he did well when part of the three man team with Ross and Lawler.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Snow/Coachman were a b-rate team, but I still found Coach's heel character entertaining. Thought he did well when part of the three man team with Ross and Lawler.

Coach was playing heel in the 3 man team because Lawler stopped doing it. It wasn't great, it was distracting listening to 3 men, it was like listening to Schiavone, Dusty and Heenan, it was annoying because outside of mainevents they never gave two fucks about matches. I don't want to listen to characters, I want to see them, the guys onn the commentary are solely there to call the action and sell the product. This is why I still maintain that JR heel turn was a terrible idea.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Coach was playing heel in the 3 man team because Lawler stopped doing it. It wasn't great, it was distracting listening to 3 men, it was like listening to Schiavone, Dusty and Heenan, it was annoying because outside of mainevents they never gave two fucks about matches. I don't want to listen to characters, I want to see them, the guys onn the commentary are solely there to call the action and sell the product. This is why I still maintain that JR heel turn was a terrible idea.

But thats WWE last ten years for you, it annoys me too, but doesn't mean I would stop watching because of it.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Brad Maddox needs to disrupt more commentary tables.