Jorge Rivera Content On Retiring From The Octagon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Jorge Rivera had plenty to talk about at UFC on FX 1's post-fight presser, reflecting on Friday night's win, his legacy in MMA, and plans for the future.

"I'm very happy with what I've done here and I'm very happy with what it gave back to me and it's time to go. I'm happy going out with a W," commented Rivera.

Rivera will not be remembered for his record—20-9 MMA, 8-7 UFC is not stellar by any stretch—but for his tremendous toughness and perseverance. The Massachusetts scrapper was involved in a historic rivalry with Michael Bisping and holds impressive victories over Kendall Grove, Nate Quarry and David Loiseau.

Rivera cited family obligations and age as the primary reasons for retiring. At thirty-nine with four children and more than ten years in the fight game, it's hard to argue with him.

"I enjoyed my ride. I loved doing this but I just come to the realization that I'm getting old and I can't do it anymore," said Rivera. "I'm getting to a point where I realize my reflexes are going, my speed…It's not worth getting hurt so it's time to go."

Rivera seemed content to retire before entering the Octagon in Nashville, but picking up a final win against Eric Schafer doesn't hurt either. The veteran middleweight plans on spending more time with his family and working on his own gym in his post-fight life.

Fightline.com