John Dodson out for a year following torn ACL/Meniscus

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
After John Dodson defeated John Moraga at UFC Fight Night 42, spectators pretty much presumed that he'd be next in line for a title shot. But much like many fighters before him, injury has caught up to the entertaining flyweight and will keep him out of action for a quite some time.

The Magician went under the knife on Wednesday to repair both, a torn ACL as well as his meniscus. But he just as well as many of us hope that he heals up sooner than later.

John Dodson said:
I’m looking at six to eight months of me actually being out before I can start going back in the gym and going hard and stuff. About a year (before a fight).

After winning the fourteenth season of the ultimate fighter by defeating Bantamweight Champion TJ Dillashaw, Dodson dropped down to the flyweight division where he is 4-1 and his only loss coming to Demetrious Johnson. He's finished 3 of those wins defeating Jussier Formiga, Darrell Montague, and John Moraga.

Author: Alex Cochrane
Cited source: BJPenn.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yikes! I hate reading about this stuff, and it sucks.

As much as I hated John Dodson on the Ultimate Fighter, no one can deny he's probably one of the most entertaining fighters in the flyweight division.

Swinny

Reaction score
Yeah it's a shame, especially right when he was about to get another title shot.

Now the question is why gets the next shot? I'd like to see Mighty Mouse vs. Uncle Creepy again, if McCall makes it past Pickett, this time 5 rounds, would be interesting.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Yeah it's a shame, especially right when he was about to get another title shot.

Now the question is why gets the next shot? I'd like to see Mighty Mouse vs. Uncle Creepy again, if McCall makes it past Pickett, this time 5 rounds, would be interesting.

That seems to make the most sense, although I think it's a little ridiculous for Ian McCall to be ranked number 3 being that he's 1-3 inside the octagon and his lone win isn't even over a guy who's officially ranked. But nobody really makes sense other than Joe Bi Wan who needs a while to climb back up to the ladder.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing DJ take a Bantamweight fight as a tune up fight in the mean time. Wouldn't have to worry about the weight cutting and he was pretty dominant in that weight class as well.

Swinny

Reaction score
That seems to make the most sense, although I think it's a little ridiculous for Ian McCall to be ranked number 3 being that he's 1-3 inside the octagon and his lone win isn't even over a guy who's officially ranked. But nobody really makes sense other than Joe Bi Wan who needs a while to climb back up to the ladder.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing DJ take a Bantamweight fight as a tune up fight in the mean time. Wouldn't have to worry about the weight cutting and he was pretty dominant in that weight class as well.

Him taking a fight at bantamweight would be hard to do though, unless they did a champion vs. champion fight or something. Other than that though you take a big risk in him going up and losing, or you give him basically a gimme fight that no one really cares about.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Him taking a fight at bantamweight would be hard to do though, unless they did a champion vs. champion fight or something. Other than that though you take a big risk in him going up and losing, or you give him basically a gimme fight that no one really cares about.

Anderson Silva vs James Irvin was pretty much a guarenteed win for Silva and he still took the fight.

Swinny

Reaction score
Anderson Silva vs James Irvin was pretty much a guarenteed win for Silva and he still took the fight.

Yeah and no one really cared about that fight.

I mean I guess they could do it if they really needed to, just seems like a bit of a waste and also a risk of him getting injured or something.

But the McCall fight is only in a week so unless there's injuries from that fight it's not like he'd have to wait a long time anyway.