Greatest Promo Man of All Tme?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Greatest Promo Man/Woman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Really? His Cane Dewey promo is a lot more memorable than mentioning some city for a cheap pop.

Just his stuff in ECW alone was top notch.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Flairs going red in the face shouting and saying wooo ten thousand times, then elbow dropping his jacket because somehow thats not lame its intense promos got old fast. Foley made the cheap pops as cheesy as possible to get away with it and the serious sides of his promos he didnt look like he was about to pass out from shouting. Especially thesedays seeing a 100 year old man red in the face, shouting, elbowing his jacket and generally looking like a creepy old man is just sad.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Really? His Cane Dewey promo is a lot more memorable than mentioning some city for a cheap pop.

Just his stuff in ECW alone was top notch.

Same could be said about Raven, Taz, D-Von Dudley, Joel Gertner, & Shane Douglas, but where are they in this tournament?

Nevermind Flairs "retirement" speech was a million times better than anything Foley has ever done. There is a reason people want Flair around the business, but not in a ring.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Same could be said about Raven, Taz, D-Von Dudley, Joel Gertner, & Shane Douglas, but where are they in this tournament?

Nevermind Flairs "retirement" speech was a million times better than anything Foley has ever done. There is a reason people want Flair around the business, but not in a ring.

If the same could be said about Taz, Shane Douglas, D-Von they would still be mentioned as far as promo guys but guess what... they aren't. And why? Taz was only decent at best on the mic. Shane Douglas was only good when he could cuss on the mic like a sailor... Other than that he was no good and everyone knows that. D-Von? Really?

Raven is a different story because he is KNOWN for his promos more than his ring work. Plus he delivered in WCW and in TNA with his promos. Not WWE. Joel Gertner... hit and miss.

And you saying people don't want Foley in the business? People don't want Foley on the mic? People still tune in just to hear Foley speak cause the man is a legend on the mic and can deliver. Nothing against Flair but Foley was so versatile on the mic he could deliver no matter the circumstances, no matter the character. Flair was good... but Foley was just better.

But yeah name dropping them... other than Raven... your point was completely and utterly invalid.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Attempting to discredit Taz makes your point entirely invalid. He is easily in the top 3 talkers in TNA today, asides from Raven was the most consistant promoman ECW ever had, and has one of the longest carreers on the announce table in recent history.

Yes, D-Von, clearly you have only watched the WWE videos or you would know D-Von was an amazing talker in ECW.

Your point about Shane Douglas is laughable, Austin couldnt get in the ring without flipping people off, and Rock still cant cut a promo without swearing, or mentioning his dick. But yeah, Shane is the one who gets flack for it.

Gertner was also the most enjoyable manager in ECW, his promos always had me laughing. Entertainment Value right there!

But yeah, the guy who ripped his characters off of Charles Manson, Hannibal Lecter, & Shawn Michaels is better than the guy who made talkers matter.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Can't even deal with you anymore.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Flairs going red in the face shouting and saying wooo ten thousand times, then elbow dropping his jacket because somehow thats not lame its intense promos got old fast. Foley made the cheap pops as cheesy as possible to get away with it and the serious sides of his promos he didnt look like he was about to pass out from shouting. Especially thesedays seeing a 100 year old man red in the face, shouting, elbowing his jacket and generally looking like a creepy old man is just sad.

Agree with this, Flair was a great promo man but too much in recent years he has resorted to cheap tactics. Foley was just a great storyteller who got countless over with his promos.

Also if TGFNH really thinks that Taz is one of TNA's top three promo guys then I struggle to take his view point serious. Daniels, Ray, Roode, Aries and Sting are all better for a start.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Taz being a great talker is a joke imo, he stuttered and stumbled his way into an announcers position, because Vince was sold broken goods, and had to justify his contract.

He was horrible in TNA.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Asides from "This is your life" his cheap pops are all thats memorable of him on the mic.

Anyone who has been on here for a while knows I'm that guy who generally is nice to everybody and tries to make everything enjoyable (see TNA PPV reviews [MENTION=39]Keith[/MENTION] will tell you lol) and I never really call out anyone but:

What In The Blue Hell did I just read?

I can come up with more memorable Foley promos in less than a minute that I can of anyone else. The Cheap Pops weren't even in his repertoire until he became commish. The guy was tearing it up in WCW and ECW as Cactus Jack long before that and had made the utterly awful ideas of Mankind and Dude Love successful. Hell he made the Mankind character so good he got the title. I could go on with more but reading others posts it's not going to matter. Opinions are fine but come on really comparing him to Taz, Douglas and Devon? And yes I saw them all in ECW, before you ask. :Smiley_DAMN:

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Definitely going with Foley. Though Ric Flair was the greatest of his era.