Foreign Wrestlers and Their Gimmicks...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Well, earlier today I was writing my BTB for another site and it was set in 2008, and I was preparing to debut Vladimir Kozlov. I was just considering what sort of path I was going to set for him, and it made me notice how much I've come to despise the way almost all foreign characters are booked.

I can remember almost zero cultured wrestlers that have ever debuted in WWE, TNA, or WCW that weren'tat one point slapped with a foreign nationalist gimmick. Kozlov always had the red coloring, and ring gear which would sometime utilize the Soviet Union's flag. He was nicknamed the Moscow Mauler of course and his entire being was booked around being a Russian animal.

Then there's William Regal who never escaped being the stuck up blue blood Brit. Same goes for David Taylor. Then you've got Finlay and Sheamus. You'll never find either of these guys void of a typical four-leaf clover green. Then you've got the Mexican factions which are just the worse.

Hunico and his buddy Camacho get the stereotypical and somewhat racist gimmick of riding a low rider bicycle to the ring with some hispanic music playing in the background, wearing wifebeaters, shorts, and socks up their knees. Eddie G had his lowrider, Chavo was always the Latino Warrior, and even Rey Mysterio was a member of the Latin World Order back in WCW. You've got LAX, Mexican America, and so on, featuring wrestlers who had little other gimmick than "Latino".

Back in the 80's there were tons of Russian soviets, from Ivan Koloff, to Ivan Putski, to Boris Zhukov, and so on and so forth. All of them were communists, hellbent of Russian supremacy.

Middle easterns have been featured prominently in a cocky, quasi-terrorist fashion dating all the way back to the original Sheik. Guys like the Iron Sheik, Muhammed Hussan, and Daivari have been no different, and have managed to keep that tradition of Middle Eastern glorification going.

The biggest shocker is that guys like Edge, Benoit, and Jericho all managed to never be stuck with a pro-Canadian gimmick. The Hart Foundation got formed to start a USA vs. Canadian war within the WWF, which turned guys like Bret and Owen into typical Canadians, and in modern times we even saw the formation of The UnAmericans and Team Canada. Christian and Test were barely even recognized for being Canadian because it didn't dominate their entire gimmick, but when Lance Storm came into the picture it was all about waving the Maple Leaf flag and making hockey jokes.

I find it ridiculous that someone like WWE can't hire a guy from England, bill him from England, and not give him a perfectly normal gimmick, free of excessive use of Union Jack and British jokes. What is it that prevents TNA from using Douglas Williams the way they use Austin Aries or even Brian Kendrick? Is it impossible for them to wrap their heads around the concept that he has other things going for him besides being British?

I'm generally not someone who likes to nitpick small issues in the wrestling business. I don't expect perfection in booking, or in competition. I enjoy the sport, and keep a positive attitude, but when you run something through the ringer as many times as they have with this foreign gimmick, it gets real old and real annoying, to me at least. I would just like to see someone from a foreign country get the rub Randy Orton or John Cena does without having his entire existence clouded with being from somewhere other than USA.

....thoughts?

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I
Actually Chris Jericho did do the pro-Canadian thing for a bit in 2002 with Christian, he, like Regal, was loosely associated with the UnAmericans and their tag team Vitamin C had a somewhat pro-Canadian gimmick. Another one is French or French-Canadians. In real life the French would never be evil anti-Americans. French-Canadians might have something against English-speaking Canadians but not Americans.

WWE originally tried to do a happy-go-lucky MMA fighter gimmick for Kozlov but the general idiot crowd only wanted an evil Russian so they had to change it up.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
It's paying honor to their country. Although I agree it gets old really fast. But it's so hard to have someone like Kozlov who looks and sounds so Russian to give him a "normal" gimmick

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Well, I'll give credit to WWE for generally hiding Ezekiel Jackson's nationality. Even though he is indeed from Guyana, and is also billed from there, they don't make that the central focus of his character. That's the type of thing I'm talking about it. A guy can be foreigns, and it can be acknowledged that he is foreign onscreen, but it doesn't have to become his entire being. The only time it was even relevant that he was from Guyana is when he was with The Ruthless Roundtable, but it still wasn't a predominant part of his persona.

They've also done a good job not making Barrett too overpowered with Britishness. He'll always speak British and he'll always have a bit of that English fanciness to him, but really, he gets by on being a mean brute. It works for him and they don't have to surround him with Union Jack flags.

That may just be why I like Jackson and Barrett so much.

And as for Kozlov, well, given the circumstances around Ezekiel Jackson, I'd say it would have been easy to stray away from his Russian heritage. Just make him a beast, and stop putting Soviet logos and colors on him. Stop putting anything that reminds people he's Russian on him, and allow him to become the next Batista (minus the mic work of course).

I liked Vladimir either way, I liked a lot of guys regardless of the use of this somewhat annoying attribute, but I get the feeling I would have enjoyed them a lot more had they seperated them from their nationalist-typed gimmicks.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
LOL wrestling is still stuck in the dark ages as far as foreigners go. Take Sheamus for example. Irish name, pale as fuck, ginger so they run with the Irish stereotype. Then over the last few months he's started getting pally with Hornswoggle, using the Finlay roll, and using the Celtic Cross to win the match. All fine, but all lifted from the last Irish guy in the company, it's too fucking weird not to notice.

It's likely because it's easier than creating a whole new character for them. EC mentioned big Zeke as not fitting the stereotype, but let's face it, what character does he have? None, the stereotypes may be insulting to the audience but they have a basic character base than WWE can lazily use to buld with.

Catfish Billy

Reaction score
LOL wrestling is still stuck in the dark ages as far as foreigners go. Take Sheamus for example. Irish name, pale as fuck, ginger so they run with the Irish stereotype. Then over the last few months he's started getting pally with Hornswoggle, using the Finlay roll, and using the Celtic Cross to win the match. All fine, but all lifted from the last Irish guy in the company, it's too fucking weird not to notice.

I remember watching him on the Late Late Show, a TV talk show over here, he talked about how he wanted to stay away from the stereotypical Irish gimmick - I lol'd for about two minutes.

I remember seeing Kozlov a year before his WWE debut on SmackDown and they build him as a Sambo champion and the crowd gave him no reaction. The Russian heel thing is an easy way to get heat I suppose. It also pisses me off that he's not Russian, he's Ukrainian.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Haha.

Vince was probably like "Ukraine? Just where the hell is that?"

"Next to Russia."

"In Russia you say?"

Seriously though, maybe they could have billed him from Russia, then everytime he came out he could just start raging out and yelling about how he's from Ukraine. But either way, he's from a former member of the Soviet Union. Regardless... I feel like they could have done a little more with him. I feel like he could have been a Rhyno-like character, if he ever learned to display that same kind of seething intensity that Rhyno did.