Final Battle results

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Show begins with a recap of the year ROH has had, from AJ Styles' return, to the relationship with New Japan Pro Wrestling being announced, to their first live PPV, Best in the World, to Michael Elgin winning the ROH World Championship at the event and Jay Briscoe winning it three months later at All Star Extravaganza VI. We get a small introduction video to Final Battle before going live to Terminal 5 in New York City, where Kevin Kelly, Steve Corino and Nigel McGuinness are on commentary. Terminal 5 looks very cool but you can see how difficult it must have been for some fans due to the set-up. There is a big screen on the stage that throughout the night played entrance videos like in WWE, Steve Corino referred to it as the, "Carytron", named after former ROH owner and current ambassador Cary Silkin.

1) Hanson pins Caprice Coleman with the Spinkick of Doom to defeat Caprice, Mark Briscoe and Jimmy Jacobs in a Four Corner Survival match. Solid opener, Hanson looked really good and Mark Briscoe was very over with the NYC crowd. Some wild spots here such as the big man Hanson doing a Suicide Dive to the outside and turning Mark inside-out with a Cartwheel Clothesline. Hanson didn't get much of a reaction when he came out but at the end the fans were applauding him.

We get the promo for Adam Page vs. Roderick Strong which is up next, but when we come back, Jimmy Jacobs wants to speak. He tries to talk about The Decade and how this, "could be" the night Adam Page proves his worth, but BJ Whitmer cuts him off and says that, "he will" prove his worth.

2) Roderick Strong def. Adam Page by referee stoppage after Adam Page refused to submit to the Stronghold. Physical match that told a good story, Page went all out to try and beat Roddy but Roderick was just too good. Page hit his signature leaping clothesline over the guardrail on Roderick, and Strong dropped Page with a backbreaker against the apron. Roderick got the win when he hit the End of Heartache and followed it up with the Stronghold which Page refused to tap out from because BJ Whitmer at ringside told him not too. Referee Paul Turner stopped the match because Page was obviously not going to break the hold. Very good story told here.

3) Michael Elgin def. Tommaso Ciampa with a Modified DDT after Nigel McGuinness unintentionally (or intentionally?) distracts Ciampa after he accidentally hit the referee. Nigel McGuinness made it clear to Ciampa on Ring of Honor Wrestling a couple of months ago that if he ever hit an official again he would be fired. This was an okay match, didn't deliver as expected, crowd was pretty quiet during it or booing Elgin.

4) The Young Bucks & ACH def. The Addiction & Cedric Alexander when The Young Bucks hit the Meltzer Driver on Cedric followed by a 450 from ACH to pick up the win. Extremely fun match, Young Bucks were incredibly over with the crowd. The Addiction made a special Marvel themed entrance along with Cedric, and The Young Bucks came out with ACH wearing a Bullet Club t-shirt. Very fast paced, exciting match.

We see an advertisement for the next time Ring of Honor will be on Pay-Per-View, Sunday, March 1st, with the 13th Anniversary Show live from Las Vegas, Nevada.

5) Moose def. RD Evans with a Spear after Veda Scott came down and turned on RD by low blowing him. Not a good match, big disappointment, fans weren't into it at all. Evans missed a springboard spot which may have been an attempt at comedy but it just didn't translate with the audience. Not much else to say here, Moose, Stokely Hathaway, Prince Nana and Veda Scott all left together.

6) Jay Lethal def. Matt Sydal with the Lethal Injection in a good match to retain the ROH World TV Championship, in a match that was plagued by the crowd who didn't seem interested in it and made silly chants throughout. Truth Martini got involved near the end to distract Sydal as he was going for the Shooting Star Press, which he wound up missing, leading to the fatal Lethal Injection.

7) reDRagon def. Timesplitters when Kyle O'Reilly pinned KUSHIDA off Chasing the Dragon to retain the ROH World Tag Team Championships. Match of the night here, Alex Shelley was very over with the crowd, as good as their matches in Japan. Near the end O'Reilly hit KUSHIDA with everything and even locked in Armageddon but wasn't able to finish KUSHIDA before he and Fish finished it with Chasing the Dragon. Go out of your way to watch this match.

We get a promo for the main event, the crowd are loud when we comeback which is a testament to the build of this match and the hype surrounding it.

8) Jay Briscoe def. Adam Cole in a Fight Without Honor to retain the ROH World Championship after he hit Cole with the Jay Driller onto the ROH World Championship title. A very violent match which saw both men get color, Jay put Cole through two tables, Cole staple a piece of paper that he had attached to a chair at ringside which read, "Reserved for Mrs. Briscoe" to Jay's head, several moves onto thumbtacks, Cole put thumbtacks into Jay's mouth and then superkick them out and two consecutive Jay Drillers, the final coming as Cole crawled on his hands and knees toward the ROH World title only to look up and see Jay standing above him, an incredible image before Jay finished the match, to end this 18 month old rivalry.

The final image from the ring as Final Battle goes off the air is both men laid out in the ring, the wreckage of tables, thumbtacks, chairs, signapore canes laying around as well as streamers, before we go to an advertisement for the 13th Anniversary Show on Sunday, March 1st.

Source: http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/37164/ROH-Final-Battle-2014-Results-71214-New-York-City/

What did you think of the show, guys?

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I thought Final Battle was a very good show! Not a single bad match took place. I'd give it a very strong 8/10.

- Mark Briscoe vs Caprice Coleman vs Hanson vs Jimmy Jacobs was a darn decent 4 Corner Survival Match, just like the one from last week! Everyone got to shine here in this match.

- Roderick Strong vs Adam Page was a good back-and-forth match, I really liked this one.

- Tommaso Ciampa vs Michael Elgin was effin' good! BS ending, though. I haven't been following too much of ROH this year, but I hope this 'zero tolerance' policy is eventually gonna lead to Ciampa finally becoming ROH World Champion! The Sicilian Psychopath is simply awesome!

- The Addiction & Cedric Alexander vs The Young Bucks & ACH was fun-tastic. I enjoyed every bit of it! This was MOTN for me.

- RD Evans vs Moose was alright, I wasn't much of a fan of the match, although it had some decent spots.

- Matt Sydal vs Jay Lethal for the ROH World TV Title was good, but I expected so much more out of this match, to be honest.

- The Time Splitters vs The reDRagon for the ROH World Tag Team Titles was just great all the way through, I enjoyed this one!

- The ME, Adam Cole vs Jay Briscoe for the ROH World Title in a Fight Without Honor match was... Just brutal, I loved it!

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Nice to see they didn't take long to get Evan Bour... Matt Sydal into the main spot, Jay Lethal's my boy though, until his career is done he should pretty much be retaining championships left and right, or if he drops one he should end up right back with another one after a build up or so. He's done a lot for ROH and ROH has treated him well, I like the relationship they have together and how the creative team treats him..

That Tag Team Title match was boss, helluva a sight of entertainment, the Main Event was probably my MOTN to be honest, idk, with ROH brutality and viciousness is a big key and don't get me wrong the tag title match and the Addiction tag match with Cedric alexander on their side was a close second IMO.

Overall I'd give the show a pretty solid review, it definitely kept upto par with the late great stuff that ROH has been putting out, I see big things in the future for them if they manage to keep it up.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Nice to see they didn't take long to get Evan Bour... Matt Sydal into the main spot, Jay Lethal's my boy though, until his career is done he should pretty much be retaining championships left and right, or if he drops one he should end up right back with another one after a build up or so. He's done a lot for ROH and ROH has treated him well, I like the relationship they have together and how the creative team treats him..

That Tag Team Title match was boss, helluva a sight of entertainment, the Main Event was probably my MOTN to be honest, idk, with ROH brutality and viciousness is a big key and don't get me wrong the tag title match and the Addiction tag match with Cedric alexander on their side was a close second IMO.

Overall I'd give the show a pretty solid review, it definitely kept upto par with the late great stuff that ROH has been putting out, I see big things in the future for them if they manage to keep it up.

Yeah, Final Battle kicked ass, brother. Those matches you mentioned, especially.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this or I would have gotten the PPV live. But I watched it really late last night... actually I was up to 7AM finishing it, but I was glad I did. Final Battle is undoubtedly what a pay per view is supposed to be.

First, the venue was awesome. I loved the dark walls. Actually when I was looking for a new forum to post on, it was the black background of this one that drew me to it. The venue was small, but I like that. It reminded me a little bit of the venue that Windy City Pro Wrestling used in the early 90's. But it was undoubtedly the perfect setting for the event.

In relation to matches, all of them were at the very least decent.

The four corner survival match was the right way to start off a PPV. You put an energetic match at the beginning and you get the crowd really into it. ***1/2

Roderick Strong vs Adam Page was excellent. I actually am a big fan of Adam Page so I would have preferred it if he won, but the fact that he passed out rather than submitted was a nice ending. I gave it ****

Ciampa vs Elgin was damn good as well. I actually don't like either guy a whole lot but was still able to get into the match, and that says a lot. I loved when Nigel McGuinness was making it seem like he was having an internal struggle to decide whether or not Ciampa violated the zero tolerance policy or not... it was interesting. ***

Cedric Alexander and Addiction vs The Young Bucks and ACH was phenomenal. It's funny how i hate six man tags unless they are done by ROH, in which they are always outstanding. **** 1/2

Moose vs Evans.... honestly I couldn't care less, but even so it was watchable. Seeing Evans pretty much lose everyone and everything was kind of pitiful. ** 1/2

Sydal vs Lethal was good, but it honestly it could have been better. ***

Time Splitters vs Red Dragon was absolutely phenomenal. I am a huge Alex Shelley fan so I was pretty pumped up for the match. I didn't think Red Dragon stood any chance of losing, but a few of Shelley's and Kushida's kick outs made me start to think they might take it. Shelley and Kushida don't have the natural chemistry the way Shelley did with Chris Sabin, but it's the next best thing. **** 1/2

Jay Brisco vs Adam Cole. Oh well, this match began a bit slowly but it picked up and was great. Personally, I would have preferred Adam Cole to win, and I am sure I am in the vast minority of people who feel that way. But like the tag match, there were several kick outs that got be thinking that Cole might pull it off. However, when Brisco laid the belt down and Cole looked up at him, that was the dagger. **** 1/2

My take on it as a whole is that Final Battle did exactly what a wrestling card should do. Almost every match led me to believe that either opponent could win. The event just flew by and was over before I knew it. Absolutely flawless pay per view.

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
@Jacob Fox I'd suggest looking up Shelley and Kushida's matches over in Japan if you doubt them having natural chemistry. Because history IMO begs to differ.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
@Jacob Fox I'd suggest looking up Shelley and Kushida's matches over in Japan if you doubt them having natural chemistry. Because history IMO begs to differ.

I never said any such thing. My exact words were:

"Shelley and Kushida don't have the natural chemistry the way Shelley did with Chris Sabin"

This doesn't say they don't have natural chemistry, jut that the chemistry he has with Kushida is different than it was with Sabin. Of course Shelley and Kushida have amazing chemistry. I just think that watching the Murder City Machine Guns for years that they had it little bit better. Sabin and Shelley are my favorite tag team of all time and Shelley with Kushida is the next best thing... that sounds to me a lot more like an adulation than a critcism.

And for the record, I have seen many matches with Kushida and Shelley as I am a huge fan of Japanese wrestling.

Last edited: