Faces are dead in the IWC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Let's face it, the IWC, also known as the Internet Wrestling Community are some of the most fickle fans there are. And for some reason, it seems, that the majority of the IWC do not like the faces, and if someone is heel, they're going to like them.

I know for the longest time, faces were the good guys, and were supposed to be cheered, while heels were the bad guys, and were supposed to be booed. But now it seems it's cool to be a heel. That fans only like you if your a heel. What happened to Faces and Heels?

John Cena, someone who is a symbol of the WWE. One, if not the biggest face's of all time is also at the center of hate for the IWC. And it's not because he lacks in the ring, because he has to be one of the most under rated superstars in the ring. Could it be because he lacks on the mic? Wrong again, as he has to be one of the most passionate, enthusiastic, entertaining superstars on the mic. But again, he is hated on by almost all in the IWC or anyone about the age of 13. Why?

It's because he's a face. Being a face is no longer the cool thing anymore. Even in real life, the jerks, and dicks, the bad guys, usually are the popular people. It's just not "in" to be a good guy anymore.

In wrestling, heels should be booed, should be hated. But now it's the faces that get the hate. I don't get it. Some might say it's because they judge on wrestling talent. If they judge of talent, then Stone Cold and the Rock should be just as hated as Cena, because both were just as bad, or even worse then Cena in the ring.

What I'm getting at here is, is there anymore "faces" in the IWC? From what I've seen and read, the heels are the ones that get attention. And I leave you in the words of Chris Jericho "It is a lot harder to play a face, then a heel. Heels are easy."

Last edited:

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
I'm going to speak from MY standpoint regarding John Cena.

First of all, I respect the Hell out of John Cena. He's a hard-worker who busts his ass day in and day out. But, here's the thing: I just don't like John Cena's character. It's become stale. Let me give you an example. An over-cliched example but an example nonetheless. Hulk Hogan was THE MAN for most of the '80s but coming into the '90's, Hogan, playing the exact same guy he has been for years prior, began to be boo'ed more and more each time he went to the ring. Why? He was, after all, the ultimate good guy. Reason? Because his schtick was getting played out. Nobody wanted to eat their vitamins, drink their milk, and say their prayers anymore. That's why Hogan, at the end of his WWF run and his early WCW run, was clouded in hate. So much so that Eric Bischoff picked up on it and actually had the set of balls enough to turn Hogan heel. John Cena NEEDS something like that to happen. It would be refreshing and quite shocking. And I know what the excuse is "HE SELLS TOO MUCH MERCHANDISE!" Ummm.....news flash.....Heels sell merchandise too. Edge, for example, is probably one of the greatest draws as far as making money with merchandise sales and the majority of his career he has spent as a heel. Cena would probably sell twice as much merchandise from a heel turn because the IWC would mark out. John Cena can play heel, ha has proved that with his "Doctor of Thuganomics" gimmick which I personally loved to death.

So, from my eyes, I don't enjoy Cena because his character is stale. Does he deliver in the ring? With a quality opponent, yes. Does he deliver on the mic? Yes and no. PG really has limited him. I mean, look at his promos from 2003-2005. What he has to work with, he utilizes good enough. I just feel as if a heel turn would be great for John's career. It rejuvenated Hogan's.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
This is a great review you've done Tapout. I strongly agree with what Hoov has said

Colt Cabana is a face and has the majority of IWC behind him

Daniel Bryan before WWE too

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Glad I could get some discussion in this section.

Hoov, you bring up good points, by my thought is, even if Cena went heel, he would still be hated by the IWC. Glad to see your opinions though.

As for Colt Cabana and Bryan Danielson. Indy stars seem to be popular around the IWC. Those two just happen to be bigger stars in the Indy scene. Same for Tyler Black. Also, I think a lot of people jumped behind Colt recently because of the CM Punk stuff going down.

Purple PuNk

Reaction score
I could not get past all the grammatical and punctuation errors. OMG! Grammar Nazi u sux!!
Well if this is an article to a certain extent I want to take it seriously, but after the first three I became uninterested and your opinion meant nothing.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I could not get past all the grammatical and punctuation errors. OMG! Grammar Nazi u sux!!
Well if this is an article to a certain extent I want to take it seriously, but after the first three I became uninterested and your opinion meant nothing.

Please just leave. Do you ever do anything to contribute to these forums? All of your posts are meaningless, pointless, and unneeded. All you do is complain about things, and say stupid shit.

Aniking

Reaction score

OH MY GOD YOU ARE THE BIGGEST FUCKING TOOL!

I thought this was a great article Tap, and you make a very valid overall point. I've found myself always cheering for the heels, but it's mainly due to the way in which big faces win matches. It's always the same domination during a match by a heel, only for the face to suddenly get a second wind and hit move after move after move, with those moves being the same and in the same order every week.

I've always found heels to be more entertaining anyway.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I kinda agree with you and I kinda don't. I rate who I like based on character and wrestling skill. Cena's character is stale and he is slightly above average in the ring, slighty. But if you want to go a face heel standpoint, I don't like guys just because they are heel never been a big Barrett or Henry fan and both have been big heels in the last year. Much bigger fan of Bryan and Kofi who are not heels. I point I do not come close to agreeing on is Cena is better in the ring than Rock and Austin. With Rock an argument can be made but the Rock has had many more classics and was a better storyteller. Austin are you kidding me? Go watch any Stunning Steve or Stone Cold matches before the neck injury and tell me Cena competes. Not even close and I'm not even a huge Stone Cold fan.

Last edited:

sachin tendulkar

Reaction score
good article. Hoov pretty much said all that I wanted to say myself. Fact is, babyfaces today are pretty boring and monotonic like Cena and Orton. Guys like Kurt and Punk are still cheered though because they're versatile and can wrestle well as well

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Heel characters and face characters are an outdated concept that should be dropped already.

IWC still thinks in 90s terms and needs to join the 21st century. I just cheer for who I like and think most marks do the same.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I have to say I disagree with the article/column/whatever it is going to be called. To put it as plainly as "IWC hates faces and loves heels" is too general and leaves room for a huge amount of criticism. I know it is not as simple as that.

First lets tackle John Cena, the guy can wrestle. Everyone knows that, the IWC knows that. But it is his character. Not that he is a goody goody but it's the same ole shit week in and week out. The matches are all the same week in and week out. How many times can you sit there and watch a guy get pummeled and beat down for 95% of the match then come back in the final couple minutes and win? His matches with CM Punk and Rey showed that he is capable of a lot more than that. And if you looked at the IWC during that time... they were saying good things about John Cena. Why? He looked vulnerable. But not only that but he also showed some in ring skills and it wasn't the same ole shit like we have been forced to stomach for the last few years.

The middle letter in IWC... W = wrestling. They like wrestlers. That's why guys like CM Punk, who is supposed to be the "bad guy" or "heel" gets cheered. He is a wrestler that wrestles, Daniel Bryan? "Good guy" or "face" gets cheered. Why? He is a wrestler that can wrestle. The IWC wants action. Sometimes the IWC is completely stupid in what they want I agree but it isn't as simple as they want heels and hate faces.

Now to something else you said... you talked about Stone Cold? Really? You compare the skills of Stone Cold to John Cena? Watch Stone Cold... as Stunning Steve Austin in WCW. Watch Austin before the neck injury. There is a reason Austin had to tone his style way down. And even then he could be part of wrestling gems. I mean he suffered a broken neck inside the ring and you expect him to still be able to deliver? His neck was compressed. Austin could deliver but that injury devastated him and his body. It just started taking its toll over time which is why when it came time for WrestleMania XIX... that was it. He could only put himself through so much.

The Rock? Again which era of The Rock are you talking about? What are you wanting from The Rock? The Rock is not the most technically gifted wrestler out there. He isn't going to be a Bret Hart, a Kurt Angle, a Chris Benoit inside of the ring but the guy entertains. The guy does the right wrestling moves to carry the match, get the crowd into it and has been a part of some really good matches. Not to mention there was also his earlier WWF years when he was really laying down inside of the ring and was really delivering. Look at the ladder match he had against HHH at SummerSlam over the IC title. Remember when he IC champion and had some really awesome feuds over that belt? Really awesome matches over that belt?

So yeah... in conclusion I have to disagree with just about all of your premises, examples, and your article. The simplicity of it kills it in that it can be easily defeated and every thing that you threw out could be counter pointed with too much ease. And it showed that you're very narrow minded in your views and are lacking in years of some good action but instead seem to be stuck in the present era.