• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

EVOLVE 48 [Results]

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
(1) Anthony Nese (w/So Cal Val) beat Ethan Page (w/Rich Swann) with a 450 splash.

(2) Rich Swann beat Johnny Gargano in a grudge match. Swann hit a top-rope frog splash with the DGUSA Title across Gargano's body. Swann and Page heeled on Gargano after the match.

(3) Caleb Konley (w/So Cal Val) beat Trent Baretta.

(4) Drew Gulak & Tracy Williams beat Rey Horus & ‘Speedball’ Mike Bailey when Gulak pinned Bailey.

(5) Chris Hero beat Zack Sabre, Jr. with a rolling elbow.

(6) EVOLVE champion Timothy Thatcher beat Biff Busick via submission in a non-title Final Battle. Thatcher won with a Fujiwara armbar on Busick’s injured arm.

After the match, Thatcher called out Davey Richards for a future match. But, after Drew Gulak and Tracy Williams came out, Chris Hero made the final appearance to knock out Thatcher. Hero set himself up as the next challenger to Thatcher.

Source

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
EVOLVE 48 was decent.

- Nese vs Ethan Page was a solid show opener. **½
It was a heel vs heel opener. Ehh, not a fan of that.
But considering Nese is from NY, he's getting crowd support and is de facto babyface.
The homestretch was fun and contained some great counters, but ultimately, a 450 Splash got Nese a clean, decisive pinfall victory.
They should've booked a different ending, though and played off of what happened at EVOLVE 47 and had Gargano cost Page the match, but oh well. Moving on.

I admire heel Page. Post-match, he cut a Gargano-esque promo in attempt to make a mockery of Johnny.
That brought out Gargano, who looked like he was sick of Page's BS and was about to shut him up.
Swann blocked his former best friend's path to his nemesis.
Johnny then tried to talk Swann out of fighting him and was willing to forgive him for attacking him at EVOLVE 47, but Swann sucker punched him instead, leading into the second match...

- Swann vs Johnny Gargano was rock solid. **¾
While I liked the story and the work, and Swann playing the heel role well, there were just too much shenanigans for my liking.
Post-match, Page cut a promo saying he's accomplished everything since coming to EVOLVE, and would proceed to lay the title on fallen Gargano and saying both him and Open The Freedom Gate mean nothing.
This might've been a Gargano write-off.
Hopefully Gargano's latest NXT appearances indicate he'll be there soon.

- Konley vs Baretta was good. ***
Both guys worked hard, but it should've had more of a grudge match vibe than just a regular midcard match.

- Gulak & Williams vs Mike Bailey & Horus was so meh and uninteresting. *
This was a long bout for the sake of being long and it was basically a 20 minute squash match.

- Chris Hero vs Zack Sabre was great and MOTN. ****

- Timothy Thatcher vs Biff Busick was a very good ME. ***½