Effective Thinking with EoR: The Top Ten Underrated Matches in America

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Yeahhhh, I've finally decided to pull my thumb out of my ass and give this a crack and after spending a while watching my short list of matches I finally gotten them an order of what they should go in and really, I'm quite happy with this list. First time trying to write something like this :D. Ten down to One btw guys.

Number 10

Los Guerreros vs Benoit/ Angle vs. Edge & Mysterio – Survivor Series 2002
Well, what can I say but to start with unfortunately the only tag team match on the list which is a shame but I can’t think of many stand out matches from the Tag Team division in America apart from Smackdown Six going at it; What can I say about this match? It’s fast pace, technically sound, exciting and a credit to the new WWE Tag Team Championship and arguably the second best match the belts have ever been graced with, the first being the No Mercy 2002 class. But I’m not here talking about that match, it’s about this match, I don’t want to spoil the match for those who haven’t seen it but you are blessed with the rarity of Eddie Guerrero’s Submission finisher the Lasso from El Paso.

EffectsofRaven Star Rating: **** ¼

Number 9

Chris Benoit vs Finlay - Judgment Day 2006
Oooooh, one of my favourite matches ever but doesn’t stand up to the others on this list but this match made Finlay in my mind a great wrestler as well as a Great Brawler; This match beats their Smackdown encounter if I’m honest but the reason this match is fantastic is because no one saw it coming, the fans in the arena seemed to be expecting it to be over after 12 minutes but they kept going and with some skills in the finish, it gets a big nod from me.

EffectsofRaven Star Rating: **** ¼

Number 8

Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger vs Brian Pillman - SuperBrawl II
This match put the “cruiserweight/ light heavyweight/ x-division” style on the match, when Pillman and Liger step into the ring with each other at WCW’s Superbrawl II and they lock horns; To my knowledge this is Ligers first ever match in the states and Pillman’s best match to date and my god it blows you away once the action gets started. The Japanese Junior Legend certainly shows his prowess in this match but don’t discount Pillman, he’s carried Marc Mero through a match but there is defiantly no carrying from either man in this match just straight up action; WCW could have been great if they had main events like this instead of the undercard.

EffectsofRaven Star Rating: **** ½

Number 7​

KENTA vs Low Ki - Ring of Honor Final Battle 2005
Kaval, Senshi or whatever you want to call the Warrior, he is fantastic in every sense of the word, his WWE tenure DOES NOT give him any justice, his matches in WWE give him ZERO credibility in comparison to this match right here, going against KENTA. How to describe this match, imagine an extremely high flying match with plenty of action but the kicks both men exchange make many stiffing matches look pathetic. Awesome finish, KENTA’s GTS and Low-Ki’s Ghetto Stomp certainly add to the spice, you just gotta watch this match to appericate it.

Number 6​

The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 19
Rock versus Austin, the Third and Final Encounter of the saga between the two and arguably the best encounter the two have ever had, while the hype is always on the Wrestlemania X7 match, this match certainly has everything to it without the lacklustre finish, infact the finish in this match is one of the most well thought and developed ones in history; The brawling was off the charts, the heelish Rock well played and the most important component the fact it took THREE attempts for Rock to win and THREE Rock Bottoms to win the match; It’s certainly a huge contender for the Underrated Match ever.

Number 5​

Chris Jericho vs The Rock - No Mercy 2001
Do people even remember this match because I sure do; The best match I’ve seen from the Rock and Chris Jericho, this one lived up to the hype of all their amazing promos and trade offs but what made this match so worthwhile was the flow of everything, the drama behind it, the fact it was two WWF’s guys fighting over the WCW Championship. The whore in the background lurking ultimately messing up and costing Rock the match instead of Chris Jericho added to the shocker and Chris Jericho’s first ever World Heavyweight Championship win made it very worth while match.

Number 4​

Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold Steve Austin – Summerslam 2001
Kurt Angle first real “instant classic” match, in my honest opinion, the first match he’s been in which has been amazing without five other guys being involved in the match; what makes this match above his earlier encounters with Chris Benoit, well it has something better than the others did which is a massive storyline to it; Angle being screwed over by Austin quite a few times over the Invasion, Angle really fighting to help the WWF to get back on track. A fantastic wrestling match in self with a screwy but not bullshit finish with some great storytelling and storyline progression make this match one of the best I’ve truly seen from a proper sports entertainment side of things.

EffectsofRaven Star Rating: **** ¾

Number 3

Ultimo Dragon vs Dean Malenko - Starrcade 1996
Time for the Final Three, and this is most likely the shocker of the three, well maybe to everyone but I’m sure most people appreciate this choice of match; It was best Juniors match WCW ever put on which didn’t even contain flips etc, but instead the technical art of counter, chain, catch-catch-can classic with A LOT of near fall finishes for a good six minutes; the fans red hot for this match with Sonny Onoko on the outside but with a shocking finishing noone sees coming; One thing to say about this match, it puts big man wrestling to shame especially in WCW, another instant classic from an opening PPV match from the Juniors!

Number 2​

Chris Benoit vs Kurt Angle - Unforgiven 2002
And in at Number Two is the most overlooked Benoit/ Angle match of the lot and there is a lot but this one is one of my favourite apart from the blindingly obvious one which is the 03 encounter but what makes this one so great; Well it is a wrestling clinic which tears the house down and makes the other two main events not even noteworthy, unfortunately for many the Unforgiven 2002 PPV is quite forgottable, but this match once you seen it once, you’ll keep on watching it; A non submission finish, very similar to their Wrestlemania encounter in terms of how the match plays out but is taken to the next level which is what Benoit/ Angle needed just before No Mercy 2002.

DRUM ROLL....

Number 1

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe - Turning Point 2005
Rolling in at Number one is indeed… Samoa Joe versus AJ Styles at Turning Point 2005 as the most underrated match ever, due to the matchs which preceeds it and succeeded it, this match is sorta forgotten about amongst most but it’s the best encounter and bend of the X-Division, Indy & Japanese Stiff Style rolled into one, this match was inched perfect but suffered at the hands of the iMPACT Zone itself. Everyone should add this match to their collection if they haven’t already, it truly is fantastic and my words won’t give it justice.

EffectsofRaven Star Rating: *****

Well, that's it, my first attempt of doing something like this, so rate/ hate/ comment, blah blah etc etc...

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Fantastic read EoR. Excellent list and I like your descriptions for each match. It brings back a lot of great memories thinking of some of these matches.

First off I am really glad that you included a tag team match. So often tag team matches are ignored and therefore aren't rated very highly. That tag team match was an incredible match, one of the best matches of the year. Such high intensity and it was at a time when tag team wrestling mattered, just look at the names in that match!

So many great matches listed and I can remember watching quite a lot of them but there are some I haven't seen. Jericho and The Rock was a great match but people seemed to forget it because of their excellent back and forth promos before the match. Benoit vs Finlay wasn't what most were expecting at that PPV but it was a real treat to see, excellent execution by both wrestlers and it was a clinic. Angle vs Benoit is another fantastic mat wrestling match but taken to another level with the intensity of Angle when he was at his best.

Excellent choice for number one. Like you mentioned it was overshadowed by the matches that surrounded it and that is quite true for most of the matches on this list. Yes the triple threats were extraordinary matches but this was incredible, like you said it was perfect from start to finish but just missed that huge crowd to get behind every move.

Great list and I can't wait for the next one!

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
My ratings for each match (1-10 scale no halves)

Los Guerreros vs Benoit/ Angle vs. Edge & Mysterio – Survivor Series 2002

10 This was the third PPV in a row with a perfect tag match for me, great time for the Tag Division on SD.

Number 9

Chris Benoit vs Finlay - Judgment Day 2006

9 Technical Classic, was a great match

Number 8

Jushin ‘Thunder’ Liger vs Brian Pillman - SuperBrawl II

Great pace, some good aerial maneuvers from two of the best

Number 7

KENTA vs Low Ki - Ring of Honor Final Battle 2005

Japanese strong style with aerial maneuvers a plenty great match.

Number 6

The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 19

10, one of the better finishes to a rivalry EVER. Best match they had in ring wise, 17 still had more hype by far.

Number 5

Chris Jericho vs The Rock - No Mercy 2001

7 was a great match and led to a new beginning but the finish was weak.

Number 4

Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold Steve Austin – Summerslam 2001

9, would have been a 10 with a real finish, DQ sucked but continued great buildup.

Number 3

Ultimo Dragon vs Dean Malenko - Starrcade 1996

9 As close to perfect for an opener as possible.

Number 2

Chris Benoit vs Kurt Angle - Unforgiven 2002

9, Great match, solid "I got ya" finish. Hurt by the fact the two had better.

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe - Turning Point 2005

10, back when both guys were at their peak, the match had everything for sure.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Nice list my man. Totally agree with you on Joe vs AJ Styles. That match was really impressive and great, but idk why no one else liked it at all. I thought it was a good hard fought battle between two awesome rivals. They pulled out all the stops here.