"Dashing" Cody Rhodes ready for his Mania moment

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rated PG-13

Reaction score
Predators Defeat Kings

LOS ANGELES (AP) -Paul Kariya and Peter Forsberg are difficult enough to stop at even strength. On the power play, they become almost impossible to contain.

Kariya scored twice, Forsberg had three assists, and the Nashville Predators beat the Los Angeles Kings 6-3 on Saturday for their fourth straight victory. They are 5-1-1 in the seven games since acquiring Forsberg from Philadelphia on Feb. 15.

"A year ago, would you ever think that Peter Forsberg would be available at the trade deadline? I wouldn't, and I don't think too many people around the league would think that," Kariya said. "He's the ultimate professional and he makes players around him better. There's no higher a compliment that you can give a player that that. I've never seen him take a shift off."

Defenseman Shea Weber recorded his first two-goal game in the NHL and J.P. Dumont had a goal and an assist in his 500th NHL contest. Marek Zidlicky scored one of three power-play goals by the Western Conference-leading Predators, who took a two-point lead over idle Detroit in the race for the top seed in the Western Conference.

Nashville has scored nine times with the man advantage in its past six games after going 0-for-19 over the previous five.

"Their good players ate us up, especially in power play situations," said Kings coach Marc Crawford, whose team has the worst penalty-killing percentage in the league. "We took seven penalties. And when you give them opportunities that allow them to get their best players on the ice, you're playing a dangerous game."

Michael Cammalleri scored twice and Jamie Lundmark also had a goal for the Kings. Defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky and rookie Anze Kopitar, two of the team's top-four point producers this season, sat out with unspecified injuries.

"They traded a few guys away and a few guys are hurt, but the guys who played for them played real well," Forsberg said. "They kind of have nothing left to play for, but they played really hard and they definitely could have won the game if we didn't score those power play goals."

The Kings tied the game for the second time at 14:05 of the second period, as Rob Blake got a cross-ice pass from Derek Armstrong and found Cammalleri alone in front of the crease. Cammalleri put the Kings ahead for the first time during a goal-mouth scramble with 14:53 left in the third.

It was his career-high 27th goal and extended the Kings' streak to nine games with at least one power-play goal.

But Kariya tied the game with 14:13 to play, beating Sean Burke high to the glove side with a one-timer from 20 feet. Zidlicky put the Predators ahead to stay on a one-timer from the left circle with 10:21 remaining and Blake off for tripping.

"We were having a tough time getting into their zone in the first two periods, but we moved the puck around really well in the third," Kariya said. "They're really tough to play against. They don't give you much room when it's 5-on-5 and they make you take it to the outside. But we did a good job staying calm and letting our power play do the work."

Dumont and Kariya capped Nashville's four-goal third period. Kariya has 22 goals this season and 31 career goals against Los Angeles, the most he's scored against any team. The Predators are 18-1-0 when he scores.

The Predators outshot Los Angeles 14-4 in the first period, but had to settle for a 1-0 lead. The Kings thwarted Nashville's first two power plays before Weber scored on the third with a 20-foot wrist shot at 18:11 while Jaroslav Modry was off for hooking.

The Kings tied it at 3:36 of the second period on Lundmark's fourth goal. But Weber scored again less than three minutes later, snapping off a one-timer that deflected in off the front of defenseman Mike Weaver's jersey. It was Weber's 13th goal, the most among Nashville defensemen and five shy of Andy Delmore's single-season club record for that position.

Notes: Weber is the first Nashville defenseman to score two goals in a game this season. ... Predators C Jason Arnott sat out because of flu-like symptoms. ... The Kings, coming off victories over Colorado (shootout) and Anaheim (overtime), have not won three consecutive games since a five-game streak that ended on March 7, 2006. ... Eleven of the Kings' final 17 games are on the road, including the next four. ... Nashville won the season series 4-1.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
posted by Slam Sports

[SIZE=+0]"Dashing" Cody Rhodes listens to plenty of advice from his old man -- "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0] He just doesn't happen to agree with all of it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"I was talking to my dad (Wednesday night) and he had some advice about the Super Bowl, Wrestlemania and other major sporting events ... he said they were just another game," said the 25-year-old WWE superstar. "I don't agree with that. It's not just another game. If someone is whispering in your ear that this is the biggest event in sports entertainment history, you move faster, you jump higher. You're trying to give fans something they'll remember forever." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]And as he prepares to step into the ring against Rey Mysterio at Wrestlemania on April 3, Rhodes is excited. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"I'm not one for false promises, exaggeration or hyperbole. In sports entertainment, you hear a lot of those. But I really believe this match has potential to steal the show. We're stacked up against some beautiful matches and this is my hometown so that would be an added bonus. <table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="1" width="1"> <tbody><tr> <td>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"It's our best superstars. I wouldn't feel comfortable without having a quality story. I used to think I should be on Mania, but looking back, no, I shouldn't have been. I wasn't ready." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Rhodes says his fondest Wrestlemania moment happened years ago. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"I was sitting on a couch watching 'Macho Man' Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior. Miss Elizabeth came out in a really bad sequined black and white outfit with stars, wearing massive high heels, and threw Sherri out of the ring. It was a very emotionally charged moment." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]His father has been in those big moments, main-eventing big cards across the world, but Cody admits he often looks elsewhere for guidance. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"With no disrespect to him, I speak to him on a regular basis, but I've always tried to get my inspiration from other sources," he said. "I'm not helping anybody by being Dusty Rhodes Jr. That would just be reminding people what they saw years ago. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"One of my biggest influences was Shawn Michaels. How does (my dad) take it? He's doesn't take it good-naturedly. He has an ego the size of the state he came from. He feels he should be listened to. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"A funny story: The night my dad went into the Hall of Fame, he was the last one to speak, and one of the production people said the show was short, then told my dad: 'Dusty, you can talk as long as you want.' My brother said, 'Why are you up last? Who did you ever beat?' My dad turned and said: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"'Everybody out on that stage, boy!' [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"When he has that WWE marquee, he turns it on." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]No question the younger Rhodes has the charisma and in-ring ability needed to push toward the top. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"I was an awesome amateur wrestler, no pun intended for The Miz. I would do stand-up drills in the shower every morning. I did the stadiums, waking up at 5 in the morning. I was on a low-cal diet before I was 18. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"One of my least favourite things that's accepted on the internet is the level of technical wrestling ability of some. I would tie Daniel Bryan up in knots in 15 minutes." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]So how did the nickname Dashing get attached to the former Legacy stablemate of Randy Orton and Ted DiBiase Jr.?
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"It's always been a running gag," said Rhodes. "My dad always tells people how good looking I am, with the movie-star looks ... that kind of garbage. So (my character) does a lot of things men do every day, (grooming things). I'm fully on board with all of them, and he'd hate to hear this, but a lot of them really come from Randy Orton." [/SIZE]

Funny to hear that the Dashing gimmick is a play on Randy in real life, and I agree with him on the fact that he and Rey can steal the show.

AF.

Reaction score
Decent read.

Dashing is a great gimmick. WWE should use gimmicks more often. Done wonders for Rhodes.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Got to admit at first I was thinking this really wasn't gonna work but the guy has really grown on me with this gimmick and is working it perfectly.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
His father has been in those big moments, main-eventing big cards across the world, but Cody admits he often looks elsewhere for guidance.

"With no disrespect to him, I speak to him on a regular basis, but I've always tried to get my inspiration from other sources," he said. "I'm not helping anybody by being Dusty Rhodes Jr. That would just be reminding people what they saw years ago.

Yeah, Ted!

Kenneth Allen

Reaction score
I was always a Cody fan. Of the Legacy stable, he was my favorite. I knew he had the drive and determination to try for the top when he started getting therapy for his lisp. His theme music was so cool, I hate that they gave it the dark, ambient treatment for this new "tarnished" gimmick.

Kairi

Reaction score
this fued has worked better than i imagined it would, hope they do awesome at mania

rhetts jetski

Reaction score
I was always a Cody fan. Of the Legacy stable, he was my favorite. I knew he had the drive and determination to try for the top when he started getting therapy for his lisp. His theme music was so cool, I hate that they gave it the dark, ambient treatment for this new "tarnished" gimmick.

Whilst I loved the original song, I like that the remixed theme is representing his changed demeanour. I'm hoping he brings back the original when he eventually has his mask removed and finds himself "dashing" again.

Kenneth Allen

Reaction score
Whilst I loved the original song, I like that the remixed theme is representing his changed demeanour. I'm hoping he brings back the original when he eventually has his mask removed and finds himself "dashing" again.

Agreed.