Dana White facing obstacles in signing Gina Carano.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
After signing welcoming Holly Holm to the UFC, Dana White vowed that he'd also sign former Strikeforce standout Gina Carano the following week in hopes of creating an out of the blue super fight with Ronda Rousey.

But according to Jeremy Botter, a source close to Carano, it will not be that easy. Carano also happens to be the star of a great deal of action films, and Botter states that possibly losing to Rousey would hurt her action hero appeal.

Through twitter he writes:

Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter said:
Gina Carano to the UFC is not as much of a lock as I thought it was yesterday. Movie conflicts. Studio has to sign off.

Studio worried that losing to Ronda will hurt Gina’s action hero allure. And yeah, it would.

Not to say it won’t get done. Just that more forces are at play than just Dana negotiating with her agent. Not as simple.

Carano lost fought Cristiane Justino back in August 2009 for the Inaugural Strikeforce Women's Bantamweight Champion where she lost via TKO in the final second of the first round. Since then she has gained a high rise of fame and has been absent from MMA competition.

Author: Alex Cochrane
Cited source: BJPenn.com

------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if giving Gina a title shot right out of the blue makes sense considering she's been out of action for 5 years. If fame can get you title shots by all means Lebron James could fucking challenge Cain Velasquez for the heavyweight title.

Swinny

Reaction score
I would like to see Gina come back, but she definitely shouldn't get a title shot right off the bat. For her though, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to come back if she's not going to get that shot, doesn't seem worth it otherwise.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
She's been out of the game for 5 years and there have been other fighters busting their balls for shots at a title. For Carano to leap frog them... I'd cry injustice.

There are much more meaningful fights for her to earn her place.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Agree and disagree

Yeah, it wouldn't be fair. But say she comes back and loses to someone else. That superfight with Rousey loses a ton of appeal and money for the company.

Maybe run a non title match?

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Agree and disagree

Yeah, it wouldn't be fair. But say she comes back and loses to someone else. That superfight with Rousey loses a ton of appeal and money for the company.

Maybe run a non title match?

That could work.

Or maybe make it a catchweight considering Ronda began her career at 145 and Carano fought strictly at 145... it's scary to know both of these women fought heavier than I did at one point :|