Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier Added to UFC 178 in Las Vegas

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier added to UFC 178 in Las Vegas

Conor McGregor (15-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Dustin Poirier (16-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) will get their wish.

UFC officials today announced that the matchup McGregor and Poirier each accepted verbally in various media appearances has now become reality, and the two featherweights will now square off at UFC 178.

Featuring a light-heavyweight title rematch between current champion Jon Jones and challenger Alexander Gustafsson, UFC 178 takes place an as-yet-unannounced venue in Las Vegas. The main card is expected to air on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

McGregor fought most recently at Saturday’s highly successful UFC Fight Night 46 event, where he scored a first-round stoppage of Brazilian slugger Diego Brandao. However, some have questioned the attention McGregor has received just three fights into his UFC career.

Poirier is one those doubters, and he took to Twitter to offer up his services in an attempt to derail McGregor’s hype train. McGregor instantly accepted the matchup when presented to him at Saturday’s post-UFC Fight Night 46 press conference. Now a more official arrangement has been made.

With the addition to the lineup, UFC 178 now includes:

Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson
Dominick Cruz vs. Takeya Mizugaki
Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero
Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier
Amanda Nunes vs. Cat Zingano
Brian Ebersole vs. John Howard
Patrick Cote vs. Stephen Thompson

MMAJunkie

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Good, I hope Poirier shuts this guy up for time being. Nobody shuts a loud mouth up for good unless their jaw's wired shut.

This card's looking fucking STACKED.

Swinny

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever wanted to see someone lose as much as McGregor and already I'm hearing people saying he'll KO Poirier quick, dominate him and that it won't be competitive and all sorts of other nonsense. Even if McGregor manages to pull it off, this is going to be one he is definitely going to have to earn.

And yeah, this card is stacked as fuck.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever wanted to see someone lose as much as McGregor and already I'm hearing people saying he'll KO Poirier quick, dominate him and that it won't be competitive and all sorts of other nonsense. Even if McGregor manages to pull it off, this is going to be one he is definitely going to have to earn.

Unless Poirier fights with reckless abandon which I doubt his ATT team mates will let him do, I don't see that happening. Poirier is a much faster fighter and technical fighter and we've really yet to see Conor McGregor deal with somebody like that. Plus we know that his takedown defense isn't the greatest either and Dustin routinely stops fights on the ground. It overall spells the worst for loud mouth Mr. McGregor.