Cole/King want JR back

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chessarmy

Reaction score
Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

WWE sources say it's no secret that
Jim Ross wants to return to the announce booth. His appearance on RAW two weeks ago resulted in overwhelming sentiment that he should return, but his fate lies in the hands of Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn, who want "youth"—though Jerry Lawler is three years older than Ross.

Furthermore, Lawler and Cole have pushed for Ross to replace
Matt Striker as the third man for pay-per-view broadcasts, whom they both dislike. McMahon, however, feels the pay-per-view broadcast team should be limited to those who work television.

They won't bring him back, I'm enjoying the WWE right now but they still do things that make me want to punt television sets across the pacific ocean.

Reaction score
I know people are going to think i'm a total idiot for this, but, I wouldn't want JR back. Yeah, he knows what he's talking about, but, other than that, he's just the same old JR. Just some guy that rides John Cenas nutsack and wets his pants every time a face is winning. The only thing I like about him is his charisma, but, damn that gets annoying fast. Especially when he keeps doing it for people like Cena. Like every move he does is the greatest thing ever. "Bah gawd Kang!!! Did you see that monstrous turnbuckle climb!? Let's see it on replay! Oh man!!!! Skittles skittles!!!!!!" I geuss it's something admirable, but, it's fucking annoying!!!! If I was the WWE, i'd bring back JBL. I never liked the guy, but, he was a good announcer, and it'd be a nice change to see a heel announcer on Raw. If anything, they should bring back JR as a mentor to guys who suck.

Reaction score
^^^Wow. I'm just not going to touch that. JR is so much better than anyone the E has now or has had since Gorilla and Bobby were in the booth and it's not even debatable. That's all I have to say about that.

chessarmy

Reaction score
JR is the best, I too can't believe you actually don't want him back.

Why JBL? People need to understand the concept of play by play/analyst, WWE needs PLAY BY PLAY guys right now and JR is the perfect fit.

ThomC

Reaction score
Legendkiller, haven't we gone over this a few times before lol. JR's job, at the time, was to help put over the faces. Cena fell into that category, just like when he used to be all over Stone Cold. Some may see it as over reacting, some will see it as him doing his job, and others with fall for what he says. The last bit is the part that WWE wanted most. They wanted people to believe the hype JR gave to guys like Cena. JR wasn't a heel so he wasn't going to be all over a heel's jock, like Cole is with Miz. To me, having an announcer get as excited as JR used to do helps the match, as it makes me get excited aswell. If he just sat there with no emotion calling moves it would bore the hell out everybody.

JBL was awesome on commentary, but as a color commentator not a play by play guy.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
I used to think JR was super overrated...then they started this ridiculous Cole crap and JR was commentating again next to him...yeah, I admit I was wrong not to see JR as an amazing commentator. They need him desperately back, but anybody besides Cole would do, honestly.

But even if not that, why not bring him in once in awhile to be a WWE reporter/analyst guy like Chris Mortensen on ESPN, have him specialize in sitdown interviews, possibly give him a 5 minute segment every week to discuss kayfabe rumors in WWE, make fun of Cole/make predictions of the weekly Raw/SD main events/hype the PPV with shoot predictions on the matches, and come draft time have him be a Kiper-esque character who talks up what Midcarder X brings to the table for his new brand. I think that would not only be a great use of JR, it would do wonders to make their product seem more serious and important, and he would have minimal travel and stress. Everyone wins.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Cole is fucking terrible. I watched jbl for some time put that rat bastard in his place and now they expect someone not fucking me to listen to lawler slobber all over his cock and have to put up with coles gnawing and shitting everywhere. Whoever gave michael cole power should stop watching fucking sports. He's not going to be some gift from the wrestling commentary gods because he's done the damn job for 30 years. Neither will todd grisfaggot or any of the other tiny ass smiling ceaser cuts that have to work on their inside voices. Why not cycle in n out your former prowrestlers who you've tried for years to get over. Get Rey and shawn in there.

Reaction score
Legendkiller, haven't we gone over this a few times before lol. JR's job, at the time, was to help put over the faces. Cena fell into that category, just like when he used to be all over Stone Cold. Some may see it as over reacting, some will see it as him doing his job, and others with fall for what he says. The last bit is the part that WWE wanted most. They wanted people to believe the hype JR gave to guys like Cena. JR wasn't a heel so he wasn't going to be all over a heel's jock, like Cole is with Miz. To me, having an announcer get as excited as JR used to do helps the match, as it makes me get excited aswell. If he just sat there with no emotion calling moves it would bore the hell out everybody.

JBL was awesome on commentary, but as a color commentator not a play by play guy.

I can get WWE wanting to put an over the top face, but, that really only works with someone who's an over the top heel or something. JR and King was like an over the top face and some guy who makes stupid comments. Cole and JR would be an over the top face and a total fucking idiot. That's why I said they should bring back someone like JBL. He's just an asshole, and he'll always go for the heel. King may not be the definition of a face, but, he has a face kind of role. JR and King do good commentary, but, it just makes JR seem like he's mental or something. Kind of like going jumping up and down when The Miz came out and going "woo hoo! woo hoo! woo hoo!" (although, I don't think it's hard to believe Cole is an idiot though) JR does have a shitload of wrestling knowledge and knows what he's talking about, i'll give him that, but, in a company where everything is a gimmick, his over the top face crap is just plain annoying and dumb.

CMS

Reaction score
I take you didn't watch JR on Smackdown. He was anything but pro-faces.

DcDudley

Reaction score
If they bring JR back, I might start watching the E again....might.

Airfixx

Reaction score
LOL.... I like JR a lot, but there's no way I'd tune in solely to hear his commentary.