Cards and Molina agree to an extension

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
JUPITER, Fla. -- The Cardinals and catcher Yadier Molina reportedly have agreed to terms on a multiyear extension and an announcement appears to be imminent.

The deal is believed to be worth $75 million over five years, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported on Wednesday. His report followed one by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which said on Monday that the sides were expected to finalize a deal by the end of the week.

The Cardinals have not confirmed or commented on the reports.

molina.jpg

Molina, who is in the final year of his current contract, said eight days ago that he was willing to continue negotiations this spring and that he "would like to work something out and try to stay" in St. Louis.

Molina, 29, will earn $7 million in 2012, the final season of a five-year deal, and he would easily command more than $10 million per year if he were to test the free-agent market next winter.

A four-time Gold Glove Award winner, Molina is coming off the strongest offensive season of his career, having led the team with a .305 batting average, and he started more games behind the plate than any catcher in the National League.

Despite his job security, he arrived at Spring Training camp well in advance of his required report date.

"I can honestly say -- I've watched him for quite a few years now -- I don't think I've ever seen him work like he has," manager Mike Matheny said on Monday. "I just think certain players have the ability to push themselves beyond contracts, beyond recognition. I just think it's something inside of them, that they strive for greatness. For him to be out here in the dark working harder than all these younger kids just shows his makeup."

Not surprising as he is one of the best catchers in the game right now, both calling the game and with the stick.