Britpop 20 Years on?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Today marks 20 years since Blur released their Album Parklife which was seen as the first step of the massive cultural music know as Brit Pop, which was based around laddy traits, Football, dodgy fashion, drugs, and making indie music a little fashionable, but as it turned out a little bit dull, and to be honest many of the big hitters of the movement didn't last very long.

The best Brit pop acts were the ones who retained an identity before and after it, with Pulp, Blur and Supergrass being the most interesting for me. At the time I was a big Oasis fan, and loved the media war with Blur (would never happen today), but after the first two Albums, they were shown up as a very predictable and shallow band IMO.

One of the more underrated Britpop bands for me were Elestica, but even they are glad that its over.

And lest I forget that the movement was crudely used by the new look Labour party as a symbol of British identity and their version, something which now looks cartoonish (like most political movements now) and laughable.

So in the end the whole thing was much ado about nothing, and resulted in a lot of one hit wonders, and far too many drugs taken, and money blown, but it was still a big part of my music listening youth.

Thoughts on Brit Pop for those who remember it?