Biggest/Best match of 1997?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

1997's Biggest/Best Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
When you look at most years in wrestling, it's usually easy to find one match that stands out, but this was one year where it's very difficult.

The 3 that come to mind for me are:

- Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart @ Wrestlemania 13 (widely regarded as the best WWE match of all-time)
- Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker @ Badd Blood (first HIAC match, the only match Dave Meltzer rated *****)
- Sting vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan @ Starrcade 97 (arguably the biggest WCW match ever and was over a year in the making)
- Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart @ Survivor Series (The Montreal Screwjob, the one match from 97 that is still a subject of debate today)

I'm sure some people could even add a few more matches to this list, but these are the ones that stand out to me the most.

For me, I lean towards Austin/Hart as the best of the year, although HIAC is practically neck-and-neck with it. Although Starrcade was definitely the most-hyped and probably drew the biggest crowd, I didn't particularly enjoy that match half as much as the other 2.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Michaels/Taker, they used the cell perfectly and Kane's debut couldn't of gone any better.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
DAT CELL MATCH! :mark: I do have love for Bret/Austin too.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I'm going to go with Michaels/Undertaker. After all these years it's still probably the best HIAC match ever.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
I think I slightly lean towards Austin/Hart but I'd gladly watch any of them again and again.... The hogan/Sting match could never, ever live up to the hype and build it was given but it still delivered to a certain extent

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Michaels/Taker in the cell is the best Cell match out of them all. But... somethin bout Bret/Austin that was just... just gives it that slight edge.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Hindsight viewing has me thinking of the first ever HIAC match, but when I put my brain back in 97 mode, Hogan/Sting was the match that everyone wanted to see. Too bad it didn't live up to the hype, and had a shitty finish. This is when the nWo should've been put to pasture imo.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Hart/Austin for me, but just barely beating the HIAC match. I can't vote for Hogan/Sting because it's one of the most disappointing matches of all time. Dat build-up though :mark: Could have really been the nail in the coffin of the WWF if they wouldn't have had that shitty ending.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Hart/Austin for me, but just barely beating the HIAC match. I can't vote for Hogan/Sting because it's one of the most disappointing matches of all time. Dat build-up though :mark: Could have really been the nail in the coffin of the WWF if they wouldn't have had that shitty ending.

Pretty much agree 100% with this.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Hart/Austin might be the greatest Mania match of all time, it was so gripping and origial, with great crowd heat. In terms of biggest and most hyped it has to be Hogan/Sting I really enjoyed the build up to it.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Seeing as Meltzer also gave Mysterio/Guerrero ***** from Halloween Havoc which happened the same month as the first HIAC, I think it should also be added to the list since it says biggest/BEST match. I don't care for it personally but I know most people still have it that high.

I'm going with Hart/Austin myself if only because I don't give the HIAC ***** off the basis of interference. I did enjoy KANE's debut a lot it just goes against how I rate things. I don't have Hart/Austin at the full five either just to clarify but the only real flaw I have with it is Ken Shamrock is the referee.

Sting/Hogan sucked anyways.

Last edited:

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
How could i forget about Eddie/Rey. AHHHHHHHHHHH!

GOD

Austin/Hart is easily the one that takes the cake here. Even if you want to argue that there were better matches in 97, it took place at Mania. It basically saved that show from being a dud, and it turned Austin into a legitimate top babyface. Thus I'd say the boom period for the WWF that followed makes it the BIGGEST and probably BEST match of 97.