Benedict Cumberbatch Wants to Play Batman

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sabretooth

Reaction score
West was a different Batman for a different time. Doesn't mean he's any less good than Bale or Keaton.

If you want to compare him to the character he played I guess he was fine. But the batman he played was stupid overall. I guess if you just compare the two actors, they're about equal. But I still give the edge to Bale. I felt he captured everything batman was supposed to be just a little better than all the rest.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
If you want to compare him to the character he played I guess he was fine. But the batman he played was stupid overall. I guess if you just compare the two actors, they're about equal. But I still give the edge to Bale. I felt he captured everything batman was supposed to be just a little better than all the rest.
Yeah, West was an over-the-top, hammy Batman, but so was the entire show around him. I mean, Burgess Meredith was a great actor, but he played the Penguin solely for laughs. Still did a great job, even if he wasn't being serious.

As for Bale, he's alright, I just think Keaton is better. There's really no right or wrong answer anyway, it's totally down to personal feelings.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Yeah, West was an over-the-top, hammy Batman, but so was the entire show around him. I mean, Burgess Meredith was a great actor, but he played the Penguin solely for laughs. Still did a great job, even if he wasn't being serious.

As for Bale, he's alright, I just think Keaton is better. There's really no right or wrong answer anyway, it's totally down to personal feelings.

Well a lot of people say Adam wests batman destroyed the franchise for a time.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Well a lot of people say Adam wests batman destroyed the franchise for a time.
Who? It was an extremely popular show when it was on and only a couple of years after it finished airing the Denny O'Neil run on the Batman comics started, which brought the character even more popularity. If anything, the Batman show in the 60's helped bring about more interest in the character after a lot of people had stopped reading his comics in the 1950's.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Who? It was an extremely popular show when it was on and only a couple of years after it finished airing the Denny O'Neil run on the Batman comics started, which brought the character even more popularity. If anything, the Batman show in the 60's helped bring about more interest in the character after a lot of people had stopped reading his comics in the 1950's.

Because batman was supposed to be dark and the show made it a comedy so people stopped buying the comics. Idk if this is true or not

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Because batman was supposed to be dark and the show made it a comedy so people stopped buying the comics. Idk if this is true or not
Of course its not true, and Batman comics throughout the 50's were humorous so the show was just following suit. It never stopped people from buying the comics.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Of course its not true, and Batman comics throughout the 50's were humorous so the show was just following suit. It never stopped people from buying the comics.

But I still think it inspired the writers of the comics to make batman darker

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
But I still think it inspired the writers of the comics to make batman darker
Sure, O'Neill said bringing the comics back to their dark roots was important, but it was more a cyclical thing than anything else, while also being reflective of the current social attitudes of the time. The 1950's to the mid 60's were a happy time, while the late 60's and early 70's were not.

Joey

Reaction score
The Chronology really doesn't matter in this case. Christian Bale was the start of legitimate Superhero / Comic-Films. He brought an entirely different aspect to the Batman Character, and it worked. All three of his Batman films are high rated, and carry weight due to the critical response. Plus, Bale is a great actor in general, and he could basically kill any role.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The Chronology really doesn't matter in this case. Christian Bale was the start of legitimate Superhero / Comic-Films. He brought an entirely different aspect to the Batman Character, and it worked. All three of his Batman films are high rated, and carry weight due to the critical response. Plus, Bale is a great actor in general, and he could basically kill any role.
So what you're saying is 1989's Batman wasn't legitimate? Also, what "entirely different" aspect did Bale bring to the character? Talking in a gruff voice?

Michael Keaton is also a great actor in general and can basically kill any role as well, so I'm not sure what that has to do with the point you're trying to make.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Val Kilmer and George clooney's portrayal of Batman?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
What are your thoughts on Val Kilmer and George clooney's portrayal of Batman?
I didn't mind Kilmer's portrayal of Bruce Wayne, but I wasn't all that thrilled about his Batman. On the other hand, I didn't mind Clooney as Batman, but I hated his Bruce Wayne and the movie was just so unbelievably bad that he could have put on an Oscar-caliber performance and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I didn't mind Kilmer's portrayal of Bruce Wayne, but I wasn't all that thrilled about his Batman. On the other hand, I didn't mind Clooney as Batman, but I hated his Bruce Wayne and the movie was just so unbelievably bad that he could have put on an Oscar-caliber performance and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I actually thought clooney fit the mask very well. He had the right face for it. And I also think he looked like the playboy that Bruce was supposed to be. I know a lot of people blame the movie on him but I personally hes the only good thing about the movie. And I thought Kilmer did a great job "acting", maybe just not what batman needed though