• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I am over 60 years old and have been a wrestling fan since I was a kid. I went with my Dad to matches and he pointed out that the last match would be over about 10:45pm as the train they took left at 11:00pm. I know now that it is entertainment but the athletic abilities of the men and women today is simply amazing. I have been at matches where Jimmy Valiant and Dick the Bruiser battled over 10 grand and a Cadillac. Bruiser took a can opener and tore Valiant's forehead wide open.There was blood every where.I went to a match in Florida where Dusty Rhodes took on Rowdy Roddy Piper. Black Jack Mulligan came to the ring and beat Piper with a chair. Somehow Piper was DQ'd and I went down to the ring to contest the call. My wife tapped me on the back and said, "Look behind you." All these Rhodes fans were ready to beat my ass so we ran out of there. I met Gordon Solie in a pub and became friends. He told me he was doing some commentary for Japan wrestling but quit doing it here as he said, Hulk Hogan is crap and Sid Vicious was a gutless wonder and he wanted nothing to do with American Pro Wrestling.
He passed away a few years ago and I will miss our conversations. He even introduced me to QB Steve DeBerg as they were neighbors. Gordon was a fascinating guy.
Which brings me to the present. I think Corey Graves is very intelligent but he sucks as the alternative view as an announcer. Back in the attitude era Jerry Lawler was that guy and before that was Jesse the Body. I know it's a role you have to play Corey but you suck at it. Your brains and enthusiasm are very obvious but you just don't bring to the table what Lawler and Ventura brought. I know that Vince is in your ear but with all of you commentators I have heard, "You've got to be kidding me!" more than 1,000 times. I even met Lex Lugar in the days just before he got into pro wrestling while working on his pool in Tampa. Later Gordon Solie told me he had the worst attitude as I had found out first hand.
I could go on and on about the athletes I have met. There was a pub in Oldsmar Florida that I had gone to for years and the new owner had connections with Florida Wrestling and I met many more athletes. Dick Slater is one I won't forget.
Why is this post so long? I don't really know. I have just seen many of the superstars in person and feel very lucky, as a fan, that I met them on neutral ground. Only one I really missed was the man, Ric Flair. I knew where he hung out in Tampa but never made it to that bar. I am not a rabid fan but appreciate the incredible physical talent of the men and women. Thank you for your entertainment.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I have not been into wrestling nearly as long as you. I started watching in the 90's when I was a kid.
Sounds like you got to experience a lot. I hope you enjoy your stay here.
:becky:

Redboy123@

Reaction score
I think Corey Graves is very intelligent but he sucks as the alternative view as an announcer. Back in the attitude era Jerry Lawler was that guy and before that was Jesse the Body. I know it's a role you have to play Corey but you suck at it. Your brains and enthusiasm are very obvious but you just don't bring to the table what Lawler and Ventura brought.
Couldn't agree more

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Thank you all. I have all sorts of stories from the 60's to present day. I am glad that you guys are interested. This PG era that the WWE is in is definitely not like the old days. The Valiant Brothers, Dick the Bruiser, Crusher, Wilbur Snyder and Bo Bo Brazil all had bloody matches and it wasn't from a razor blade tucked in their wrist tape. They would tear each other up! Not as athletic as today but vicious.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Thank you all. I have all sorts of stories from the 60's to present day. I am glad that you guys are interested. This PG era that the WWE is in is definitely not like the old days. The Valiant Brothers, Dick the Bruiser, Crusher, Wilbur Snyder and Bo Bo Brazil all had bloody matches and it wasn't from a razor blade tucked in their wrist tape. They would tear each other up! Not as athletic as today but vicious.

Feel free to make threads on your stories. This forum is mostly made up of the younger crowd but I am sure some members would appreciate reading them.

Reaction score
Went to a match in Tampa back when Brad Armstrong was just getting going. He, his Dad the Bullet and his younger brother took on Kevin Sullivan, Jake the Snake and another guy I forget. It was one of the most scripted matches I ever saw. The Armstrong's were incredible and even got the ref involved in flying drop kicks. Eventually, of course, Kevin Sullivan's team took over. Sullivan went down after a drop kick from the Bullet and was right in front of me. You could see he was trying to free up a blade tucked in his wrist tape. Dumb ass me from the second row started screaming fake, fake! Sullivan looked at me and I thought I was dead but he started rubbing his forehead against the blade. He was bleeding all over and needless to say the Armstrongs were declared the winners. The whole match had been practiced over and over you could tell. Soon after Sullivan went to the dark side and used the Golden Spike and messed up a lot of wrestlers and never lost to that cheapo rehearsed kind of match again.

Reaction score
While I am at it, can't shut up. Except for Ronda, RAW really doesn't have much to offer. About a year ago they cleaned house and have a roster that wrestles week after week to the same crap. What happened to Ryback and all the others that gave us fans a variety? I hated big Cass and his partner but they were an alternative. Heard that the little guy was let go for sexual misconduct. Then Big Cass was terminated right after his match with Daniel Bryon. Kane, we were told, was out with a broken ankle only to find out he had retired and was elected mayor.. Man, I tell you, maybe the women are doing great which I totally enjoy because the men's matches are getting lame. I mean Rusev Day? What the hell is that crap? OK, I am off my soap box and ending this rant. I just had to get it off my chest. I just want to mention The New Day. They make wrestling a joke and they get pushed every week. Half of the fans that are there fall right into their crap.They may be good but God I feel insulted every time they are on.

Reaction score
WWE being basically the only game in town some of the most tremendous athletes are stuck with the McMahons. I have heard they really take care of their people but they have guidelines they have to adhere to. I have hated the WWE since Hogan. God what a joke!

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
WWE being basically the only game in town some of the most tremendous athletes are stuck with the McMahons. I have heard they really take care of their people but they have guidelines they have to adhere to. I have hated the WWE since Hogan. God what a joke!
If you ask CM Punk, they don't take care of them all that much. lol

Reaction score
Yea, man. I didn't like the dude but he was great or his size. He got pissed that Batista was picked to win the Rumble match. Made him puke as it was supposed to be every man or him self. They lost one hell of a star from treating him so badly.

Reaction score
Yea, man. I didn't like the dude but he was great or his size. He got pissed that Batista was picked to win the Rumble match. Made him puke as it was supposed to be every man or him self. They lost one hell of a star from treating him so badly.
Batista quit after he had a run in with the ego maniac, Triple H. H told him he wasn't going to get a championship match until they cleared up some business he had going on. Batista said screw you and went back to making movies.

Reaction score
I guess that Triple H is quite the manager and business man. I throw him the same boat as Shawn Michaels who has an ego the size of Montana. Mr. Wrestlemaia? I will go with Marc Callus, the undertaker. He's had broken ribs and ripped off a locker room door and taped it up and gone out and wrestled and won. Michaels is a punk.