American Wrestling Association: Under New Ownership

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I marked for my boy Razor Ramon! :mark:

Also :owens3 I might need to go back and read some of the other shows, but dang man...that ending to the Ironman is nice....

Reactions: Bobby Barrows

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah this Best of 7 Series has been really fun to read, glad to see the ratings reflect it too :garrett2

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
AWA Championship Wrestling.jpg

AWA Championship Wrestling
Monday, Week 4, April, 1991
Palumbo Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Attendance: 3,537

Tony Schiavone 1.jpg
Eric Bischoff 92.jpg
Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

Tony Schiavone welcomes us back to another exciting edition of AWA Championship Wrestling. Here we'll see the aftermath of the excitement of WrestleRoyale '91! Eric Bischoff hypes us on some exciting matches tonight, such as Razor Ramon defending his newly won AWA International Television Championship, Tiger Mask vs. Chris Benoit, and Nikita Koloff vs. Mike Sharpe! Eric Bischoff also mentions that AWA President Bill Watts is here and will be making a decision on the aftermath of the Best-Of-Seven Series between Ricky Steamboat and Rick Rude that ended in a 3-3-1 draw between them.

Bam Bam Bigelow.jpg
w/
Jim Cornette 4.jpg
vs.
2 Cold Scorpio 1.jpg

Bam Bam Bigelow w/ Jim Cornette vs. 2 Cold Scorpio

In a match that had decent wrestling but not a lot of heat, Bam Bam Bigelow made short work of 2 Cold Scorpio 5:42. Jesse Ventura and Tony Schiavone discuss Bam Bam Bigelow's match with Terry Gordy being changed last minute and how angry Bigelow has been the last few weeks.

Rating: 53

Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
Jim Cornette 4.jpg
Bam Bam Bigelow.jpg

After the match we see Nick Bockwinkel ushering Jim Cornette and Bam Bam Bigelow to the interview area, where Cornette has a lot to say. Cornette tells the crowd that Terry Gordy ran away like a coward and he hasn't been seen in weeks. So Bam Bam Bigelow is serving notice to everyone in the locker room, until Terry Gordy returns and gives Bam Bam Bigelow his match, he is going to destroy every single person on this roster inside the ring! "There is not a man alive who can beat Bam Bam Bigelow, and I'll take that bet all the way to Las Vegas!"

Rating: 68

Ken Resnick.jpg
Razor Ramon 0.jpg

After the commercial break, we see Ken Resnick interviewing the new AWA International Television Champion Razor Ramon! Razor tells Ken Resnick that he told everyone in the AWA that he'd have gold around his waist after WrestleRoyale, and he proved it in front of all the chicos and chicas. So now as AWA International Television Champion, he's got to defend the title every single week, but that's okay, because he'll carve up the competition before all is said and done, finally finishing off with, "Say hello to the bad guy!" and throwing his toothpick at Ken.

Rating: 36

1614013925216.png

AWA International Television Championship

Razor Ramon 0.jpg
vs.
Barry Houston.jpg

Razor Ramon vs. Barry Houston

In a short match, Razor Ramon defeated Barry Houston in 4:01 with a Fallaway Slam. Razor Ramon makes Defense #1 of his championship; Jesse Ventura declares that Razor Ramon is going to be AWA International Television Champion for a *long* time, while Tony Schiavone wonders how Ramon will do against some top talent in the AWA.

Rating: 40

Tiger Mask.jpg
vs.
Chris Benoit 0.jpg

Tiger Sayama vs. Chris Benoit

In a short but fast-paced technical match, Tiger Sayama defeated Chris Benoit with a Diving Headbutt in 4:38. Tony Schiavone and Jesse Ventura discuss Tiger Sayama re-signing with the AWA on a big contract for another few years, saying he's the anchor to the Light Heavyweight Division. Eric Bischoff cuts in and expresses his high hopes for the young Benoit, stating that given several more years of experience, he could become an incredible athlete.

Rating: 54

Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
Bill Watts WCW.jpg

We go to the interview area where Nick Bockwinkel is standing with AWA President Bill Watts. Bockwinkel asks what Mr. Watts has to say in regards to WrestleRock '91. Watts first asks that the new AWA World Heavyweight Champion Jerry Lawler comes out.

1614017030639.png

Jerry Lawler comes out to a big reaction, with the AWA World Heavyweight Championship around his waist, and crown on his head. He shakes hands with Bill Watts, who tells him, "First off, Jerry Lawler, I want to congratulate you on winning the AWA World Heavyweight Championship. You earned that victory and may you reign for a long time." Lawler looks a little flattered, but Watts gets right back to business, "However, we have a dilemma. If you remember, last night, the Iron-Man match between Ricky Steamboat and Rick Rude ended in a draw... I will ask that both Rick Rude and Ricky Steamboat come out right now."

1614017233852.png
1614017239957.png

Out comes Ricky Steamboat and Rick Rude, the two stare each other down after a brutal battle between each other last night and both look worse for wear. Jerry Lawler stands between them with the AWA World Heavyweight Championship in hand. Bill Watts declares, "There is a dilemma, isn't there. Well, Steamboat, Rude, since neither of you won the match, neither of you won the Best-of-7 series... however, since neither of you *lost* the match, neither of you have lost the #1 Contender's status... therefore... *both* of you are-"

1614017410097.png

Larry Zbyszko storms out to raucous jeers and boos, a bandage on his head after losing the brutal Steel Cage match against Jerry Lawler. He grabs the microphone from Nick Bockwinkel and starts tearing into everything, "If you say you're going to give both of these losers *my* championship match that I so richly deserve, I've got plenty of lawyers lined up to take you to court. I held that AWA World Heavyweight Championship for over a year, and I am *entitled* to a rematch clause." Bill Watts looks around and sighs, "Alright, Larry, you make an excellent point. You are in fact deserving of an AWA World Heavyweight Championship match. However, Ricky Steamboat and Rick Rude are also deserving-"

1614017809381.png
1614017814180.png

An audible groan comes from the crowd as out comes Paul Orndorff and Col. Rob Parker. Orndorff has a microphone of his own and cuts a scathing promo, "I've had just about enough of this crud. For weeks I stood by and demanded an AWA World Heavyweight Championship match, and it didn't matter who it was against. Now, you're telling me, that two men that didn't even *win* last night, and a man who *lost* his AWA World Heavyweight Championship last night get a title match ahead of me!? Never in all my fifteen years in this business have I been more disrespected. Especially by you, Mr. Watts. I've lost only *once* in the AWA. That's against the current AWA World Heavyweight Championship; that doesn't because he *clearly* cheated to win. Other than that, I am unbeaten in this company. That tears it! You better give me a title shot *now* or else you're in for a world of hurt Mr. Watts."

Watts stands defiant and even looks unimpressed, "I'm not threatened by you, Orndorff. I know for a fact that you and Lawler go back a *long* way, however that does not give you the right to make demands from me... but you know something, Orndorff? As much as an annoying, desperate, and pathetic man as you are... you're right. So, here's what we're gonna do. All of you as of right now are *not* the #1 Contender for Jerry Lawler's AWA World Heavyweight Championship. All of you are going to have to *earn* that right... in a #1 Contender's tournament. In two week's time, it'll be Ricky Steamboat vs. Paul Orndorff and Rick Rude vs. Larry Zbyszko, and the winner of each match will face off in the finals at a later date to determine who will face Jerry Lawler at AWA Center Stage, the next Pay-Per-View!"

After this announcement, nobody looks very happy, but Jerry Lawler appears as though he's ready to take on whoever wins this match. The four participants in this tournament grumble and look at each other suspiciously, but seem to accept the events, except for Larry Zbyszko, who is pissed off.

Rating: 67

Larry Nelson.jpg
Nikita Koloff.jpg

After the commercial break, we see Larry Nelson talking to Nikita Koloff, who had won the dreaded Minneapolis Alley Fight against Tully Blanchard. Nikita Koloff declares that he's finally finished with Blanchard, so it's on to bigger and better things, like focusing on the AWA World Heavyweight Championship picture; he knows there's a lot of top talent... Blanchard included... but he's determined to run through every single person and climb his way to the top of the pile.

Rating: 59

1614021914676.png
vs.
Mike Sharpe.jpg

Nikita Koloff vs. Mike Sharpe

In a decent main event, Nikita Koloff defeated Mike Sharpe in 9:44 with a Russian Sickle. During the match, Tony Schiavone and Jesse Ventura discuss Nikita Koloff potentially being involved in the title scene, saying he's a very dangerous competitor and could be a dark horse Championship contender.

Rating: 59

Show Rating: 61
T.V. Rating: 0.58 (439,010 Viewers)
Last Week's T.V. Rating: 0.57 (432,770 Viewers)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
What TV deal do you have for this out of curiosity?

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
What TV deal do you have for this out of curiosity?

Prime Time on KSLM-TV, which in storyline is 4M's new Television channel, which broadcasts all over the U.S. and Canada ranging from Tiny to Medium.

kslm.PNG

Reactions: Chris

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Monday, Week 1, May 1991

AWA Board of Directors

_Businessman2.jpg
Greg Gagne 93.jpg
Jim Barnett.jpg
Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

The scene opens in a board room where the President of 4M Scott Anderson, AWA CEO Greg Gagne, and minority owners Jim Barnett and Jesse Ventura sit around a table.
Scott Anderson: ... To make a long story short, gentlemen, this first trimester has not been one where we've made a profit. In fact, we're down $834,602. This was actually expected for the first trimester and personally, our estimates were genuinely in the low millions. Consider me impressed. For the second trimester we must focus on lowering that number now. To do so, I would like to hear your considerations for how we can increase revenue in the company and hopefully turn a profit in two year's time.

Greg Gagne: Well, perhaps we could cut back on some of our expense in the production department, of course that would mean the show's presentation would suffer... but I think we can afford that.

Jesse Ventura: Perhaps we could release some excess talent. We have a lot of talent on the roster and could feel somewhat bloated if you ask me. We'd save quite a bit of money that way.

Jim Barnett: Far be it from me to say anything... but we should be running more shows. A weekly tour throughout the Midwest. It'll be a little cheaper, and we can get some bigger crowds to watch some exciting matches while not showcasing them or acknowledging them on Television. Sort of like house shows, but with big matches. Occasional title matches and what-not.

Scott Anderson: Hmm... Y'know Jim, I like that idea. Let's go with yours for now; if we still aren't turning a profit by the end of this trimester, we'll explore Greg's suggestion...​

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Jim got the right idea, forward visions not cutbacks :cudi

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

Monday, Week 1, May 1991
Corpus Christi Coliseum, Corpus Christi, Texas
Attendance: 2,791

Tony Schiavone 1.jpg
Eric Bischoff 92.jpg
Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

The commentary team for the AWA welcomes us back again for yet another exciting edition of AWA Championship Wrestling. Tony Schiavone tells us that it's going to be a show of epic proportions. Bischoff sells us on three big matches, Razor Ramon defending his AWA International Television Championship, Rick Rude vs. Larry Zbyszko, and Ricky Steamboat vs. Paul Orndorff. Jesse Ventura says that he thinks Orndorff is gonna defeat Steamboat, while he's unsure who will win between Zbyszko and Rude.

Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
1617474061435.png

Out comes AWA World Heavyweight Champion Jerry Lawler, who's going to be interviewed by Nick Bockwinkel. Bockwinkel asks Lawler about the quality of contenders. Lawler responds, "I've seen all of these guys wrestle and I know that they're damn tough, but brother, I'm tougher than them. The King has come to scout the competition more and when the time comes my challenger will know what it's like to bow to the King." He tells Bockwinkel that it doesn't matter who he faces, he's gonna put them back in their place when the time comes.

Rating: 68

#1 Contender's Tourney
Rick Rude 1.jpg
vs.
Larry Zbyszko 1.jpg

Rick Rude vs. Larry Zbyszko

We see our first major match of the night with Rick Rude going up against Larry Zbyszko. The crowd is unsure how to react to this match-up and so they decide to cheer for Rick Rude as the de facto face. The two have a pretty solid match all around but it ends as the two struggle to try and pin one another for almost 15 minutes... Rude finally hits the Rude Awakening and goes for the pin! 1... 2... DING DING DING... The ring announcer tells that time had expired at 15:00 before the pinfall and thus, this match has ended in a draw... Rude stands up and looks most displeased, unsure what this means for the tournament.

Rating: 60

Larry Nelson.jpg
Tully Blanchard.jpg
Woman.jpg

At the interview area, we get Larry Nelson chatting with a bandaged up Tully Blanchard and Woman. Blanchard expresses his disdain for what happened at WrestleRock, but the past is the past, mentioning that Nikita Koloff will get his eventually. For Tully Blanchard and Woman, it's the future. He's gonna now focus on challenging for the AWA World Heavyweight Championship once this stupid tournament is over with. He doesn't care who the champion is, because Tully is the biggest thing in this company. Woman then mentions to Larry Nelson that they've got a plane for Hollywood to catch; the two of them walk off confident as ever.

Rating: 64

Ken Resnick.jpg
Razor Ramon 0.jpg

After the commercial break, we get Ken Resnick interviewing AWA International Television Champion Razor Ramon. Razor Ramon mentions that he's going to continue to carve up the competition and beat everyone the AWA puts in front of him, "With gold around my neck, and gold around my waist, Chico, I can't lose."

Rating: 54

awatv.jpg

Al Madril.jpg
vs.
Razor Ramon 0.jpg

Al Madril vs. Razor Ramon (c)

Razor Ramon defends the title against local worker Al Madril. Madril gets a few shots here and there, but Ramon plants him with the Razor's Edge in 7:19 for the win. Jesse Ventura declares that Razor Ramon is going to become the greatest International Television Champion, much to the annoyance of Tony Schiavone.

Rating: 49

Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
Jim Cornette 4.jpg
Bobby Eaton 4.jpg
Stan Lane 1.jpg

After the match we get Nick Bockwinkel chatting with Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express. Cornette laughs and asks where DJ Peterson or The Trooper are, "I'll tell you where they are. They're at home, licking their wounds and hiding away, because brother, we proved without a shadow of a doubt they don't have what it takes to hang with The Midnight Express. They're probably too scared to come back and take another beating at the hands of Beautiful Bobby and Sweet Stan. Nick Bockwinkel, I'm sure you must be asking yourself, 'what's next for the Midnight Express?'; Well I'll tell ya matter of factly, everything is next for the Midnight Express. There's not a man alive or a team today that can take on the Midnight Express, brother, because in the AWA, we are given the freedom to take care of business. Back then, we were told what we could and couldn't do, and here we got the power. So tell ya what, teams of the American Wrestling Association, give us your best, because the Midnight Express will prove that your best just isn't good enough."

Rating: 66

#1 Contender's Tourney
Paul Orndorff 91.jpg
w/
Robert Fuller.jpg
vs.
Ricky Steamboat 92.jpg

Paul Orndorff w/ Col. Rob Parker vs. Ricky Steamboat

Our main event sees some incredible action as Ricky Steamboat goes up against Paul Orndorff. Orndorff controls the early going as Steamboat struggles to make comeback after comeback but is cut off whether by Orndorff cheating, or Rob Parker interfering behind the ref's back. The finish of the match sees Steamboat finally mounting a comeback and nearly getting the pinfall, but Rob Parker interfered one last time, smacking his cane over Steamboat's head. Orndorff slowly got to his feet and taunted the crowd, shouting that he's gonna put Steamboat away for good. As he picks up Steamboat... ROLL UP! 1... 2... 3!!! STEAMBOAT JUST STOLE THE WIN FROM ORNDORFF!

Rating: 75

Ricky Steamboat 92.jpg
Paul Orndorff 91.jpg
Robert Fuller.jpg

Nobody can believe what just happened as Steamboat struggles to get to his feet and celebrate. Paul Orndorff argues with the ref and Col. Rob Parker smacks the mat angrily. Jesse Ventura can't believe that Steamboat just stole the win, declaring that he had to have pulled the tights. Funnily enough, Tony Schiavone asks Ventura, "What if he did pull the tights, Jesse?" Jesse responds, "Well... then he cheated. I would have done the same!"

Rating: 67

Show Rating: 69
T.V. Rating: 0.58 (436,290 Viewers)
Last Week's T.V. Rating: 0.58 (439,010 Viewers)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
:garrett great main event, liking the slow Razor push too

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Breaking News:

AWA Championship Wrestling Expanding

According to sources within the company, the American Wrestling Association's flagship program, AWA Championship Wrestling, will be expanding by an extra half-hour beginning in June. The current timeslot for Championship Wrestling is a single-hour spot on 4M's KSLM-TV, which is available in every region of the US and Canada, though in a limited capacity. With the half-hour expansion, fans will likely be greeted with more wrestling on their screens, including the rising Women's, Light Heavyweight, and Tag Divisions. KSLM has cited that Championship Wrestling has been one of their most-viewed programs thus far in the young channel's tenure.​

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

Tuesday, Week 2, May 1991

Sports Pavillion, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Attendance: 4,550

Tony Schiavone 1.jpg
Eric Bischoff 92.jpg
Jesse Ventura 94.jpg

It's time for yet another exciting edition of AWA Championship Wrestling! Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff, and Jesse Ventura welcome us to another episode filled with big-time matches, such as Razor Ramon defending his AWA International Television Championship, Cactus Jack facing off against Steve Regal, The Midnight Express issuing an open challenge, and Tully Blanchard

awatv.jpg

2 Cold Scorpio 1.jpg
vs.
Razor Ramon 0.jpg

2 Cold Scorpio vs. Razor Ramon (c)

In our opening contest, Razor Ramon defends the AWA International Television Championship against 2 Cold Scorpio. Jesse Ventura exclaims that Razor Ramon is one of the most dominant athletes he's seen in these many years. In an okay match that didn't have much heat, Razor Ramon defeated 2 Cold Scorpio with a Razor's Edge in 6:55. This makes defense #4 for Razor Ramon. Tony Schiavone admits that he continues to be impressed by Ramon.

Rating: 46

Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
Paul Orndorff 91.jpg
Robert Fuller.jpg

We go backstage to see Nick Bockwinkel chatting with Paul Orndorff and Col. Rob Parker. Paul Orndorff is absolutely livid and ready to kick everything in his path, he calls last week a cheap shot and a stolen victory for Orndorff. He declares that Ricky Steamboat cheated him and that he will not be denied the next time they face off. Nick Bockwinkel asks the two of them what Orndorff will do now that he's no longer the #1 Contender. Orndorff tells Nick, "Don't you worry about that, Bockwinkel. I'll get my championship opportunity sooner or later, regardless of what that idiot Bill Watts thinks."

Rating: 62

Jim Cornette 4.jpg
Bobby Eaton 92.jpg
Stan Lane 1.jpg

After the commercial break, Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express come out to the ring and taunt the crowd with their AWA World Tag Team Championships. Cornette takes a mic and starts to speak, "Well well well, feast your eyes on the greatest tag team in the entire world! The AWA World Tag Team Champions, "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton, and "Sweet" Stan Lane: The Midnight Express! Now you may be wondering just what the hell we're doing here, and the fact of the matter is, we're here to challenge any team that thinks they have the guts, the courage, or the balls to step into the ring with these two after we whooped The Trooper and DJ Peterson at WrestleRock! All you gotta do is just climb into the ring and take on The Midnight Express! Don't be shy, or scared, I promise we'll be quick about whooping your fannies!"

The Trooper.JPG

Out comes The Trooper, still nursing some of his wounds from the one-sided beat-down at the hands of The Midnight Express from WrestleRock. The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette burst out laughing at the sight of the Trooper being alone. Cornette declares, "Well I'll be damned, Trooper! I guess you didn't learn enough of a lesson at WrestleRock! Bring your crippled friend DJ Peterson and we'll happily whoop you again!" The Trooper has a smirk on his face and shakes his head, with a mic in his hand, "Well, as much as Peterson and I would love to whoop you, I decided we needed help dealing with you, so I went out looking for a team to take you on. I found that team, and brother, you're not gonna like it." Cornette and Midnight continue to laugh until the music hits.

Tommy Rogers 89.jpg
Bobby Fulton 89.jpg

Tony Schiavone starts freaking out on commentary, screaming, "Oh my god! It's The Fantastics!" Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express also start panicking and freaking out, realizing that they're facing off against a team they have a lot of history with. The Fantastics run down to the ring and THIS MATCH IS ON!

Rating: 56

Bobby Eaton 92.jpg
Stan Lane 1.jpg
w/
Jim Cornette 4.jpg
vs.
Tommy Rogers 89.jpg
Bobby Fulton 89.jpg
w/
The Trooper.JPG

The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette vs. The Fantastics w/ The Trooper

The fans in the arena are treated to a great surprise match. Cornette and the Midnight Express are caught completely flat-footed regarding The Fantastics and it shows in this match as they are pretty well dominated in the early going. The Midnight Express eventually recalibrates and starts to get even-footing again, culminating in a good back and forth in the middle and end. They eventually single out Bobby Fulton and whoop the tar out of him. Fulton mounts a comeback and tags in Tommy Rogers, who goes wild! Jim Cornette is freaking out! He climbs onto the ropes to distract the ref and he tries to toss Stan Lane the tennis racket... BUT THE TROOPER INTERCEPTS IT AND WHACKS STAN LANE WITH IT! STAN LANE IS DOWN AND THE TROOPER THROWS TOMMY ROGERS ON TOP OF HIM! The ref turns around and counts the pin! 1... 2... 3! THE FANTASTICS JUST BEAT THE WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS! Jesse Ventura is livid on commentary and cannot believe that The Trooper would stoop to such lengths to cheat! Tony Schiavone mentions that Jim Cornette got involved first and that turnabout is fair play!

Rating: 64

Ken Resnick.jpg
Steve Austin 91.jpg
Lady Blossom.jpg

After the commercial break, Ken Resnick is in the interview area with Steve Austin and the lovely Jeannie Clark. Steve Austin tells Resnick that he's been licking his chops and waiting for every opportunity to show he's the greatest. He calls himself the future of the AWA, and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do to stop him.

Rating: 57

Cactus Jack 91.jpg
vs.
Steve Regal.jpg

Cactus Jack vs. Steve Regal

Our next match is a midcard match between Cactus Jack and Steve Regal. Cactus Jack would defeat Steve Regal in 7:03 with a Double-Arm DDT. Tony Schiavone mentions that he thinks Cactus Jack has a very bright future in this business and thus far he's been doing very well for himself in the AWA.

Rating: 48

Tully Blanchard.jpg
w/
Woman.jpg
vs.
Baron Von Raschke.jpg

Tully Blanchard w/ Woman vs. Baron Von Raschke

Our main event match sees Tully Blanchard taking on Baron Von Raschke. Jesse Ventura mentions that Blanchard is looking for a big win after losing to Nikita Koloff at WrestleRock. It's a good back and forth match between Tully and Raschke, but in the end, thanks to Woman's interference, Tully hits Baron with a Slingshot Suplex and pins the German in 9:27. Tony Schiavone admits that this is a good victory to get momentum back on Tully's side.

Rating: 60

Nick Bockwinkel.jpg
Bill Watts WCW.jpg
Jerry Lawler.jpg
Ricky Steamboat 92.jpg
Rick Rude 1.jpg
Larry Zbyszko 1.jpg

Backstage we see Nick Bockwinkel and Bill Watts talking to AWA World Heavyweight Champion Jerry Lawler, Ricky Steamboat, Rick Rude, and Larry Zbyszko. Watts first off congratulates Ricky Steamboat for beating Paul Orndorff last week but brings up that there is much controversy after last week when Rick Rude and Larry Zbyszko ended up going to a time-limit draw. He has a decision to make, and what he decides will be controversial regardless of the outcome. He finally declares that in two weeks, Ricky Steamboat, Rick Rude, and Larry Zbyszko will wrestle in a first-ever three-man match on AWA Championship Wrestling! It will be a 15-minute time limit, and the first man to make a fall will be declared the #1 Contender for Jerry Lawler's AWA World Heavyweight Championship!

Rating: 71

Show Rating: 62
T.V. Rating: 0.62 (494,420 Viewers)
Last Week's T.V. Rating: 0.58 (436,290 Viewers)