277 GAME stores close, 40% of workforce let go, gift cards suspended

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
953486b660.jpg

The great reckoning of GAME's entry into administration began today, with the company closing 277 GAME and Gamestation stores across the UK and Ireland. MCV reports job losses totaled 2,104 at retail and 15 from the company's HQ, representing 40 percent of the troubled retailer's workforce. The remaining 333 stores will stay open and try to continue business as normal while administrator Price Waterhouse Cooper continues to seek a willing investor. If a buyer can't be found, more closures will occur. Beyond shuttered storefronts, GAME has also implemented a list of policy changes that will impact customers. The sketchiest changes include the suspension of gift cards and GAME reward cards. The company will also no longer take pre-orders and "no refunds can be given for any pre-order deposits which have been paid."

Source: 277 GAME stores shuttered, 40% of workforce let go, gift cards suspended | Joystiq

Nothing happening in Australia so that's good, I'm not a fan of GAME anyway and prefer EBGames/Gamestop. It really sucks for the customers though that they aren't able to use the Gift Cards or pre-order anymore.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I buy my PS3 games online mostly, so it doesn't really affect me.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Game was a rip-off so i'm happy they shut down.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
GAME was always the shittiest store. I'm willing to believe that most of their income comes from tricking unsuspecting parents into paying $100 for their son's games. Glad to see them going down the drain.

Lewb

Reaction score
This is mad. Game was probably the juggernaut of video game stores in the UK, so mad to hear it's pretty much the opposite other places in the world. I worry this is going to mean a price hike for the UK in video games tbh.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
This is mad. Game was probably the juggernaut of video game stores in the UK, so mad to hear it's pretty much the opposite other places in the world. I worry this is going to mean a price hike for the UK in video games tbh.

Developers over in the US have their game prices for like $55 or $60 odd for new release games and then they set it to $110 or $120 for us in Australia. It's ridiculous.

rcoot93

Reaction score
Too be honest they were quite expensieve, plus in some towns and cities they had 2 or 3 stores that isn't sustainable