WWE Confirms Record Number of Wrestlemania Buys

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
WWE announced that Wrestlemania 28 garnered "1.3 million pay-per-view buys with global gross sales in excess of $67 million including the live event" on their website, following on The Rock's comment on Twitter that the PPV event had broken worldwide PPV records.

WWE's previous record was Wrestlemania 23, which garnered 1,118,000 buys. That event was headlined by Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena as well as the Donald Trump-Vince McMahon hair vs. hair stipulation for Bobby Lashley vs. Umaga.

PW Insider

Wow, that's pretty impressive to be sure.

Castiel

Reaction score
Damn, this is great news!

NovaRoad

Reaction score
Website
stillskystudio.com
I'm curious, does that number include online streaming purchases as well? That's a great number. Even better, the WWE seems poised to avoid their typical post-Mania lull, which could potentially make regular viewers out of the large number of Mania watchers. I can dream right?

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I'm not convinced this Mania deserved those buys (WrestleMania XXIV is my favorite 'Mania in recent history, personally) but since I could contribute to that record (I actually BOUGHT a PPV for once) I am indeed pleased with the numbers and proud of WWE!

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I'm not convinced this Mania deserved those buys (WrestleMania XXIV is my favorite 'Mania in recent history, personally) but since I could contribute to that record (I actually BOUGHT a PPV for once) I am indeed pleased with the numbers and proud of WWE!
This.

WrestleMania XXIV is the only 'Mania in recent memory I have cared for in the slightest.

However I'm quite pleased because I did NOT contribute to this buy-rate.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
What was so undeserving?

It doesn't matter, I don't think Vince McMahon gives a crap whether they think its undeserving or not.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
The weak undercard, mostly. I can see how the main matches were very marketable however, so from a hype stance, it's very deserving. Just that nearly everything besides the three obvious matches turned out to be very subpar for what we've come to expect. It was a good PPV, but it wasn't my favorite 'Mania by any means.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Why the snide remark?

Not attempting to be snide, just stating what I feel is obvious. I wouldn't say its either deserving or undeserving of its numbers, just that the guy in charge probably doesn't care what any of us think.

Of course that in and of itself could be a problem.......

EDIT: In retrospect, I should have said "what anyone" instead of "what they" think. I wasn't trying to single any individual opinion out there.

Cyrus Riddle

Reaction score
Those numbers are awesome, I am glad that I contributed to that buyrate as well. However, I find the numbers to be a little bit of a letdown considering the hype and numbers weren't built around full time talent. It would be nice if the talent now could stand out and bring in that kind of money, but it seems like a stretch to wish for it.