WWE bringing back the attitude era?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
It's been rumored that WWE are finally starting to move away from their PG content to make the program mature again. As you saw this week we had a "holy shit" from Corey Graves and a middle finger from Kofi Kingston. Apparently WWE wants to bring back a teenage audience.

Thoughts? Concerns? Excited?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I wouldn't ever call it "bringing back the Attitude" era necessarily just because it's dead and gone imo and if they were to move to an edgier content I think it would be better for everyone if it wasn't compared to the Attitude Era. Even if they did go back to TV-14, they couldn't get away with half the shit they did in the Attitude Era and most of it I wouldn't want them to do anymore anyway. I just want good quality programming which I believe can be done from anything PG, TV-14, or TV-MA, and you don't have to "focus" on being edgy just because you're TV-14. Same way when WWE went PG at first they were too focused on being "PG" with comedy and super kid friendly stuff, and then after a couple of years they were still PG but you could tell it wasn't a main focus, they were just producing their content that received a PG rating instead of trying really hard to make sure it did.

But some counter arguments for people that think there's "no way" WWE would bring back the Attitude Era, Raw was still rated PG somehow for most of '98 I believe, and SmackDown was ALWAYS PG from it's debut to present...now if you go back and watch them on the Network they won't be rated that for the NEtwork's content standings but at the time of airing they were, so I think people put too much thought into the official ratings and not the actual product being produced.

Also people need to realize edgy is not always good lmao 02-06 WWE had some of the most trash angles trying to be edgy to have some of that Attitude Era magic and I'd prefer most of the current product since they went PG to that shit. But it's whatever to me bc I'm just here for the ride and I'll be watching regardless, so if whatever they do brings in more viewers and money to the business then good for everyone, and if not I'll still be watching

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
A little bit of an edge will be nice to see, nothing over the top or anything and i'll be fine. Just simple stuff like everyone being able to say the word 'ass' because it really takes me out of it when someone is trying to act all tough and they use the word butt.

Reactions: Chris

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
I for one think an attitude readjustment is needed. Been needing it for years. But eh.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
My biggest concern is if they also brought back all of the wrestle crap from the Attitude era too. That is one thing that gets thrown under the rug. No giving birth to hands and miscarriage angles and it should be good.

Reactions: Chris

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
More miscarriage, dick chopping and incest angles.

That's what we need.

It's weird how people fetishize the attitude era like it was some beacon of glory, when it was having ONE hot angle mixed in with guys who rode the same wave to get over.

That's called popping the territory and has been this way since tv got involved with rasslin.

A TV rating doesn't matter if the show is perceived as not good.

This company would benefit more by pretending Vince isn't in charge......look how heralded that women's ppv was last year, people were throwing babies in the air acting like Triple H did the show, when in fact it was still Vince in Gorilla calling the shots.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
But it was though. We don't need to fetishist the truth. Just because you are hung up on a few bad angles during the era itself but at least it was far more entertaining than the crap forced down our throats when Vince wasn't threaten with someone over taking his company in ratings, money and fans.

You can try to paint it however you want. But numbers don't lie.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
But it was though. We don't need to fetishist the truth. Just because you are hung up on a few bad angles during the era itself but at least it was far more entertaining than the crap forced down our throats when Vince wasn't threaten with someone over taking his company in ratings, money and fans.

You can try to paint it however you want. But numbers don't lie.
Oh please, the shit was basically Vince vs Austin which was the reason why Foley and Rock got over during that time frame.

Numbers don't lie.....but using the same metric is like using medical tools from 20 years ago. It doesn't translate.

Ratings talk in this day and age lmao. Nielsens are dead.....the company who does the Nielsen ratings have even said that.

And lol like Austin wasn't crammed down our throats during that 3 year period. He was involved in multiple segments a show ffs.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Oh please, the shit was basically Vince vs Austin which was the reason why Foley and Rock got over during that time frame.

Numbers don't lie.....but using the same metric is like using medical tools from 20 years ago. It doesn't translate.

Ratings talk in this day and age lmao. Nielsens are dead.....the company who does the Nielsen ratings have even said that.

And lol like Austin wasn't crammed down our throats during that 3 year period. He was involved in multiple segments a show ffs.

You gonna forget about DX, Rock, Undertaker, Kane, Mankind, tag division,

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
You gonna forget about DX, Rock, Undertaker, Kane, Mankind, tag division,
Undertaker was already an established act, and he was injured through most of it.

And I don't consider 2000 an attitude era year....the people involved were replaced by 99 and Chris Kreski was in charge.

And I'm wasn't even bringing up dX in black face but here we are.....classic shit right there :lmao totally holds up today.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Undertaker was already an established act, and he was injured through most of it.

And I don't consider 2000 an attitude era year....the people involved were replaced by 99 and Chris Kreski was in charge.

And I'm wasn't even bringing up dX in black face but here we are.....classic shit right there :lmao totally holds up today.

are you high? Taker was only injured for a few month from late 98- early 99. And all those weird sexual segments were still entertaining lol. Besides those weren't the main storylines. They were just extra entertainment.

Reactions: Petty

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Holds up better than the shit show we have now. Austin in any era would be more over along with alot of the mainstays of the current product and I promise you, no I guarantee anything from the Attitude era would stand up compared to anything now.

And Nielsen ratings aren't dead. Are you dumb? lol the ratings very much impactful on any network.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Anyway, my opinion on this is that I'm glad. I personally DO get annoyed at the PG nature of the show. We're talking about tough guys fighting each other and you're going to tell me that they're not going to curse or use other profanity? Hell no. Being PG takes away from the realism and stifles the wrestlers in my opinion. So yeah if the product becomes more adult oriented I'm good.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Well let this guy tell it all of that is dumb.

Let me guess, you thought dumb characters and storylines involving like The Repo Man was better than the attitude era too. :nope

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
are you high? Taker was only injured for a few month from late 98- early 99. And all those weird sexual segments were still entertaining lol. Besides those weren't the main storylines. They were just extra entertainment.
Taker was injured for most of his career, broke his foot in mid 1998 and then got injured again in mid 1999.

I do not want the Attitude Era back. Nobody should want a retread. I'd much rather be given what we're starting to get now, which is people being realistic and showing genuine malice towards one another. I dig what was going on the last week in WWE.

Also just saying the tag team division was not good until mid-2000. :side: And even if they weren't major angles or storylines, we should never forgive bad angles for being what they are. I watched through the entirety of 1998 RAW and bruh, it was a slog to get through. Other than Austin, McMahon, The Rock, Foley and the times when DX wasn't insufferable, it was great. But for all that, you get NoD/LB/DoA shit, TAFKA Goldust, DX in blackface, and motherfucking Sable. :hhh6:

Status
Not open for further replies.