Women at 50% Higher Risk for Sports-Related Concussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
"Investigators at Columbia University in New York found that among college athletes of both sexes who competed in sports such as soccer, football, and basketball, women were 50% more likely to sustain sports-related concussions.

"It is unclear why women appear to be at higher risk for sports-related concussion than men. The findings from this study highlight the need for more research on the gender differences in concussion," study investigator James Noble, MD, MS, a neurologist at The Neurological Institute of New York Taubs Institute, New York City, said in a release."

Source

I guess a lot of this comes down to muscles in the neck and shoulder areas being able to support the head.
Men tend to have more muscle/ strong muscles in these areas. Interesting...

"The question is if a woman gets a concussion and has migraine or anxiety, does that potentially comorbid condition contribute to why we think women have more concussions?" said Dr Giza.

Anxiety in generally is higher in women than it is in men so there is that as well.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Sexism of the highest order!

And one a more serious note, I think the muscles tend to be a factor like you mentioned. Evolution might have played a role too with men being hunters and getting bonked in the head for far longer than women.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Sexism of the highest order!

And one a more serious note, I think the muscles tend to be a factor like you mentioned. Evolution might have played a role too with men being hunters and getting bonked in the head for far longer than women.

Try telling her that...

200.gif

:urm:

Reactions: Grievous 3D