Who do you think deserves the most blame for the decline of wrestling's popularity?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

nWo4Lyfe420

Banned
Reaction score
Some people might blame Vince or the wrestlers themselves. But me? I blame the fans. I think modern fans have done more to make wrestling "uncool" and chase away normal fans than anyone else.

Every time a wrestler flips around like a circus monkey you have dorks in the crowds chanting "THIS IS AWESOME" or "THIS IS WRESTLING." First off how is it awesome when you see these spot monkeys featured constantly? They aren't doing something you haven't seen a million times. And secondly, it makes you look like an idiot and turns off normal fans when implying that flipping and flopping around like a fish out of water is what wrestling is. You think people who grew up watching actual wrestling with great ring psychology want to hear these geeks tell us what wrestling is? If the masses wanted to watch trapeze artists choreograph moves and no sell for 30 minutes and then shake hands after a match then ratings, attendance and cultural relevance wouldn't be at all time lows.

You also see these fans who have the nerve to boo Hulk Hogan - aka the man who saved the business twice because they want to score points with other left wing cancel culture snowflakes. "Hey look how progressive I am by booing someone who had a private tape leaked." The blatant lack of respect today's fans have for living legends is sickening. Then these same nerds turn around and hum Becky Lynch's theme song. How can any grown ass man with any self respect do that? I'm convinced these people live in their own little bubble secluded from the rest of the world.

These people are just embarrassing and do more to chase away long time fans and prevent wrestling from gaining new fans than Vince or anyone else has done, IMHO.

Kingnoth1n

Banned
Reaction score
Hard to say because there is no real hard data to support your theory, but there is a strong correlation with SJW culture and the current climate, and the steady decline year over year is coupled with that. However there has been a steady decline since 1999 as well, gotta keep that in mind. You could simply argue that they just don't have anyone as badass and relatable as SCSA or a larger than life character as HH to really create a boom. But culture is definitely involved as well. Most fans these days aren't people that normies would associate with, the fans wear their New Day and "The Man" shirts (Not relatable), and they look like they stink and don't bathe in many pictures.

Ace

Reaction score
I blame UFC.

Reactions: Chris

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I blame WCW dying

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Shit just gets less popular over time. Ratings for a lot of shit is down from where it was 10, 15, 20, etc years ago.

Some things fall further than others but it’s just a fact that ratings and things fall over time for anything.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Bush became president, 9/11 happened and counter culture where rasslin drew it's ratings from took a back seat and Janet's nipple popped out.

Then Obama became president and proud boys wanted their country back and divided audiences for everything pop culture into what we knew before the orange guy got in office which further divided the audience into the vocal minority and annoying j-brones we have now.

Basically what I'm saying is......the culture changed.

Now everything is niche.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Bush became president, 9/11 happened and counter culture where rasslin drew it's ratings from took a back seat and Janet's nipple popped out.

Then Obama became president and proud boys wanted their country back and divided audiences for everything pop culture into what we knew before the orange guy got in office which further divided the audience into the vocal minority and annoying j-brones we have now.

Now everything is niche.

So.......it's CM Punk's fault? :stephena3

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
That bitch ain't cultured

Reactions: Chris and Vegeta

nWo4Lyfe420

Banned
Reaction score
I blame losers online wondering it's not cool anymore.

:okay2

I blame UFC.

I've thought about this before, and just speaking for myself I can say UFC has never drew me in the way wrestling used to. It's possible that some wrestling fans switched over to MMA but I doubt it's as many as some think.

I blame WCW dying

It certainly didn't help things but WCW was already on its last legs when WWF had its most popular year ever in 2000.

Now everything is niche.

Not everything is niche now. Mainly just wrestling. Everything else seems to be thriving. But you were programmed to get in "ORANGE MAN BAD" somehow, eh? :stephena3:

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
I blame welvindagreat.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I wear my New Day and Becky t-shirts all the time with no shame, I don’t have the original The Man shirt because I didn’t really like that one but I do have one that says it along with a picture of Becky. The New Day shirt I have is one of their original shirt with them riding a unicorn, it’s one of my favorite wrestling shirts that I got as a gift.

What was this thread about again?

Reactions: DammitC

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Sorry for my first post, in all seriousness I personally don’t see the popularity of wrestling declining but that’s just me.

There’s stuff out there that’s not for everyone, sure, but those that don’t enjoy the mainstream side can probably find other alternatives if they really wanted to because there’s plenty of wrestling out there for everyone.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
:okay2

I've thought about this before, and just speaking for myself I can say UFC has never drew me in the way wrestling used to. It's possible that some wrestling fans switched over to MMA but I doubt it's as many as some think.

It certainly didn't help things but WCW was already on its last legs when WWF had its most popular year ever in 2000.

Not everything is niche now. Mainly just wrestling. Everything else seems to be thriving. But you were programmed to get in "ORANGE MAN BAD" somehow, eh? :stephena3:
Besides superhero movies.....what is universally successful across the board?

Music, tv, movies...I'd say literature but nobody is reading these days either.....are all fragmented and nothing is ubiquitous like something in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

Also I never said "orange man bad"....you just saw the word orange and went on the defensive.....talk about being programmed.