Van Halen Rocks the L.A. Forum for Thousands of 'Friends and Family'

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kellie

Reaction score
2517536a35bfefbcebf651c3f2f689bc79711641.jpg

There were still kinks to be worked out last night at what David Lee Roth called "the final dress rehearsal" for Van Halen's upcoming North American tour. Onstage at the Forum in Los Angeles, Roth happily admitted, "I forgot the fucking words!" halfway through "China Town," one of several songs the legendary hard-rock outfit played from their brand-new studio album, A Different Kind of Truth. ("Get to the chorus," the singer urged his bandmates. "I know those words.") But with just over a week before the tour kicks off next Saturday in Louisville, Kentucky, Van Halen seemed concerned with making a bigger-picture point last night: They were proving they're ready to entertain arenas packed with hardcore fans.

Billed as a "Friends and Family" event, the 70-minute performance followed two earlier invite-only gigs, one in January at New York's tiny Cafe Wha? and the other last week at L.A.'s Henson Studios. But this show was the reunited Van Halen's first inside a venue as big as those they'll be playing over the next four months, and they definitely took advantage of the Forum's roomy dimensions – think confetti cannons, loads of high-def video and an enormous checkered flag like the one Roth waves in the clip for "Tattoo." Clad in a succession of sparkly jackets and what appeared to be a pair of pleather yoga pants, the frontman shimmied across the stage in full Diamond Dave mode; during "Everybody Wants Some!!" he even revived his old samurai-sword act. And though Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen declined to take solos last night, Eddie Van Halen offered up a typically virtuosic mini-concerto that reminded you of all the astonishing things he can still do on the guitar.

So what'd they play? Hits, of course: "You Really Got Me," "Runnin' with the Devil," "Panama," "Ice Cream Man." They all sounded great, especially "Dance the Night Away," with pitch-perfect vocal harmonies from Eddie and Wolfgang, and "Hot for Teacher," which Roth introduced by tossing handfuls of Hanukkah gelt into the crowd. (Speaking of the crowd, last night's included Duff McKagan and Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains, not to mention Tone Loc and the blonde surfer dude from TMZ.) Even the new stuff worked, though not as well as "Jump," which closed the show on a note of mock-heroic grandiosity that is, was and evidently always will be Van Halen's signature stance. Get your tickets now, folks.

Rollingstone

I know David Lee Roth is legendary but im more of a Sammy Hagar type of Van Halen fan .. who is your favourite Lead Singer of Van Halen?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I know David Lee Roth is legendary but im more of a Sammy Hagar type of Van Halen fan .. who is your favourite Lead Singer of Van Halen?

Wow, I didn't know Hagar fans actually existed. :lol: I like his stuff with Montrose way more than his stuff with Halen.

I'll take David Lee Roth in a landslide, all my favourite Van Halen songs are sung by him.