Tony Khan talks future of Grand Slam in New York, more

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Despite a Grand Slam event on tap for Australia next year, AEW head Tony Khan is still invested in bringing the event back to Queens, New York, as well.

Talking to WFAN to publicize tonight’s Grand Slam from Arthur Ashe Stadium, Khan ended any speculation that the annual September event wouldn’t return — at least at some point.

“We’re going to keep having great shows in New York. Grand Slam…I absolutely want to keep here. We have a great thing going with Arthur Ashe Stadium and I want to keep that relationship,” Khan said, later definitively saying “I still want to do Grand Slam in New York.”

In August, AEW announced Grand Slam Australia — a stadium show to be held in Brisbane in mid-February which marks the company’s debut in that country.

Initially debuting in 2021, Grand Slam — the company’s first-ever stadium show — drew over 20,000 fans but has ticked down in attendance in every subsequent year. That, in addition to the Australia show announcement, added to speculation they may take a break from the famed tennis stadium.

During the interview, he also called Grand Slam their “biggest show of the year” despite the presence of All In.

Here’s some additional notes and quotes from Khan’s talk:
  • When asked if AEW has been “financially successful,” Khan gave a look indicating it was but didn’t provide any details.
  • He said AEW was “the biggest challenger brand in sports” and the biggest second/challenger league since the AFL.
  • In talking about how people could watch their product, the Max streaming service came up and Khan said, “Our stuff is not on Max…yet.”
  • Khan talked around backstage drama, equating it to similar situations in sports.