Thank You Troy- For Fuji

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Troy Polamalu's clock to Canton can start now. The definitive Pittsburgh Steeler of the team's recent titles has decided to retire, the team announced on Friday. Polamalu first told the Herald-Standard (Uniontown, Pennsylvania) Thursday about his decision.

"I did not seriously consider playing elsewhere," Polamalu*said in a phone interview*with Jim Wexell. "It was just whether or not I wanted to play."

We can't say that Polamalu re-defined the safety position because he was one of a kind. It's not like there are youth coaches out there teaching kids to play like Polamalu because his unique skill set would be impossible to recreate. Who else could have made leaping over the line of scrimmage a signature move.

Troy Polamalu's impact on the NFL

An eight-time*Pro Bowl*selection, Polamalu was one of the most dominant safeties in league history during his four seasons as a first-team All-Pro player. He won the 2010 Defensive Player of the Year by mixing big plays, run stopping, well-timed blitzes and a rare instinct for knowing what opposing players would do.

Polamalu connected with fans in Pittsburgh and beyond because he played with an abandon that was impossible to miss. He told Wexell that he knew this was the right decision in church this week, the Holy Week of the Greek Orthodox Church. The*Steelers*wanted Polamalu to retire earlier in the offseason, but the team carried his cap hit to*give him time to make a decision, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

"It's all about family," said Polamalu. "I live here in Pittsburgh now, and since the end of the season I've had a chance to enjoy my family on a level I never had before. It was awesome."

Injuries sapped some of Polamalu's trademark speed in recent years and his gambling style of defense resulted in more long throws getting past him. When he was at his peak, Polamalu had to be accounted for by the opposition on every snap.

Tomlin on Polamalu: 'He's a once in a generation type of guy'

Polamalu's trademark play was the AFC-sealing pick six against*Joe Flacco*after the 2008 season. Two weeks later, the*Steelers*won their second*Super Bowl*in four seasons. OtherSteelers*defenders like Aaron Smith,*Brett Keisel, James Farrior,*Larry Foote*and Casey Hampton all excelled on both title squads, with Polamalu the spinning center of it all.

The*Steelers*will save salary cap space following Polamalu's decision, and know they need to get younger in the secondary.Shamarko Thomas*is a candidate to start, and safety should be a priority in the upcoming draft. The*Steelers*know they won't find another Polamalu.

"He's one of those once-in-a-generation type of a guy, man,"*Steelers*coach Mike Tomlin told NFL Media's Steve Wyche at the recent NFL Annual Meeting. "He's a different guy. The way he views the game is different. The way he plays the game is different. He is unique. And I'm sure you'll see great players in that position in the future, but none will do it quite like he does it."

7c816f130d653a93dacd7b7761cb4d64.jpg
[/IMG]

27c1ee7e8641a09f6bdb61275622a92d.jpg
[/IMG]

d4521f096547304b839200fe9aa8b52b.jpg
[/IMG]

While I understand the Steelers standpoint of wanting to save money and planning on cutting him if he decided not to retire and I also understand his wanting to play more but him retiring so he didn't have to go to another team because almost every team would try for him and hope he found the elixir of youth.
He was an amazing player so thank you Troy.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'm kind of glad he retired tbh. He had definitely lost a step over the last couple of years and I didn't want to see him hurt his legacy any further. When he was in his prime, there was no better player at his position.

Thanks for all the memories.

Apoho Creed

Mon ami
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
A true leader to the end, damn I'm going to miss Troy jumping over the line and tackling people left and right.